Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:40 AM
mjdemore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.3

i need some more help, i put a 3.3 in my revo and every time i start it up it runs, but instantly dies when i take the ez start off evev if i rev it up with the controller, also its blwoin a lot of blue smoke... so any help?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:24 PM
crowdie

Default RE: 3.3

Try leaning the low end (small screw in) about 2/8ths, and then keep going in 1/8th turns if it persists.
You could also higher the idle by leaning it. Look for a very small screw on the side of the carb. Don't higher it too much though, again 1/8th turns.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:35 PM
joshreynolds777
My Feedback: (1)

If its dying right after you remove the easy start... That tells me your glow plug is gone. Its easy to do during break in. Test your glow plug by tlighting them up with a glow ignitor out of the engine. (Get a Glow ignitor, the traxxas easy starts dont provide a very strong current to the plug)
Dont bother messing with the low end adjustment untill the motor is fully broken in and the high speed needle adjustment is set up just right and tuned in.
Lots of blue smoke indicates a Rich Fuel mixture, which is ideal for break in. If you havent messed with the high speed needle at all then good, leave it alone untill the third tank or so. If you Have jacked with the high speed setting from factory, get it back to the recominded factory break in setting
Hope this helps,
Good Luck, feel free to PM me
-Josh
Old 08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
DaveG55

The facts are;
The glow plug could be bad or weak
OR
The carb can be too rich
OR
A cmbination of the two problems.

It is not unusual for the rich factory settings to cause the glow plug to fail BUT it is also not unusual for the factory settings to be soo rich that it cools the plug so much that the engine cannot sustain operation.
I have had to lean out new engines several times in order to keep the engine running. There is no harm in doing that as long as you take care to not over do the amount that you lean it. You may also have to lean both the HSN and the LSN. Any changes made must be done in very small increments, remember you're just trying to get it to the point where it will idle, not tuning the engine.

So, to the OP, it's up to you to decide which you want to try first. Either a new GP or tweak the carb. Personally, I'd try the GP first and if that does not cure the problem then I'd tweak the carb.