Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Corsair Covering?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Corsair Covering?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 08:43 PM
cigolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsair Covering?

I think I'm getting to the "I have to think about covering" point on my TF Corsair .60. One person recommends flat Monokote, another says clear Monokote and paint it, and now I hear about this S**** Lite system. This model won't be judged in any contests, and quite honestly I'm getting a little tired of it. I don't want it to look shlocky, yetI don't want to add twice the time in the covering phase. Also, I'm using Robart Hinge Points and don't know if I cover first then install the surfaces together, or assemble then cover. HELP!!!!!
Old 06-18-2003, 11:50 PM
jettstarblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use any name brand covering that is Navy blue, and scuff it up a little w/a green 3M pad, or just use flat Navy blue-(insignia blue?)
Also, the hinges you are talking about go in after the covering is on.
Also, when you say you are getting tired of it, do you mean it's been a looong project, or?
Stick with it, and next time you can go with an ARF.

Jetts
Old 06-19-2003, 01:19 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

UltraKote has a "Corsair Blue", which is slightly darker and more accurate than the MonoKote offereings. Also, UltraKote DOES go around curves better than MonoKote, IMO.
Late war (WW II) Corsairs were painted glossy sea blue, but the effects of exposure to sea water soon dulled them. So, the choice is yours whether to dull them or not, using the method described in preceeding post.
Click on my gallery to see a vary accurately finished MonoKoted Top Flite Corsair. Scheme is for Navy carrier based (U.S.S. Bunker Hill) F4U-1D, flown by Lt Cmd Roger Hedrick, who became a Corsair Ace.