Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Hey Everyone...new to the forums.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:53 AM
RVC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Everyone...new to the forums.

Hi, new to the forum but not new to the sport. Just a little about me. I have been interested in this since I was little...elementry school little. Have had several cars/trucks, almost every vintage Tamiya, I have had! Got into Nitro a few years back started with a TTR Vanquish and loved it. Got rid if that and got my Savage 25 about 1.5 years ago. Quit using it for about a year and now I'm back in it! I'm not a racer, more like a "basher". I am happy with my Savage but the .25 is getting tired...mind you I have no mercy on this truck. I abuse it and it just keeps going. It is the most sturdy truck IMO. Very user friendly and runs everytime (friend's Revo dosen't) I'm not degrading the Revo, It's a sweet truck. Anyway enough talking, I do have a legit question. I an going to replace the engine, what engine do you recommend is the best for power/torque tunability? The only upgrades I have to my Savage are the aluminum clutch shoes, vented brake disc, and different tirew and wheels. Thanks in advance for the help![8D]
Old 11-20-2006, 08:06 AM
BCKoots

Default RE: Hey Everyone...new to the forums.

Get the Axial 32. Tonnes of torque
Old 11-20-2006, 08:10 AM
RVC

Is that a direct drop in replacement?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:14 AM
DaveG55

Most BB engines are going to be a fairly easy install. You may have to go to a pullstart though because the Roto start does not bolt to every engine.
I put a Mach.26 on my 25 Savage and it has way more power than the NS25 did. It's also been a better engine overall. If you don't mind drilling & tapping new mounting holes the Roto start system can be made to fit it too.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Josh222

I run an axial in mine and way more than enough power... heres mine when finishing break in and still a bit rich.. filming and driving hard
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MVI_1326.flv
Old 11-20-2006, 11:26 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

First I would like to welcome you to the forum.

There are many good engines available and I recommend a STS 28 or 30. Right now the only STS I have is a D21B in my buggy but plain on getting a STS 28 to put in my Savage as my stock K4.6 has many gallons on it and know it is not going to last forever. Here is a link to them and you can get either with a backing plate for the Roto starter or with a pull starter.
http://www.topspeedtoys.com/index.ph...ex&cPath=23_27
Old 11-20-2006, 12:24 PM
RVC

Thanks for the info everyone, It has been very helpful. I know that I want to keep the roto start....I dread the pull start! Will the roto start bolt directly on to the STS 30?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:28 PM
amwhite2005

You will dread the roto start when you travel all the way to somewhere only to find your rotostart battery is flat.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:32 PM
RVC

Yeah....that is a fact. I have had that happen, so now I bring a DC-AC converter with me and plug my charger in there and charge my batteries whereever I go!
Old 11-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Chronic

I recommend the XTM 457. Most "bang for your buck" available right now from everything I've seen. All of the other engines mentioned here are good ones, but out of the box they don't have anything on the SH based 457. In my opinion a high port count .28 is going to be your best bet in this platform, because they make as much low rpm power as you can realistically use, and you still get that great mid-high rpm power delivery that .28s are known for. There's no need to throw one of those bigger torque monsters in there unless you just want to be able to say you have it, and most of them are quite a bit slower than the hotter .28s on the market anyway.

The SH .28 Prospec, LRP spec 2, and the Nosram .28 Monster are all the same engine as the XTM 457... but I believe the XTM is easier to obtain. There is also the 8 port LRP spec 3 and it's supposed to be MEAN in the mid-topend range, but I've also heard it's a little weaker on the bottom end than the older 6 port spec 2, so it might not be the best choice if your truck is really heavy.

...and pullstarts rule!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Surfrider

Tower hobbies has the LRP spec 3 in stock (limited) right now. I searched the web and found a $20 off $150+ order from T.H.

This brings the LRP down to $149 + shipping. I dont see anything touching that deal at the moment.

PS> I am another pullstart fan! Rotostarts can break, its a good chunk more weight to carry around. Best part is when I accidentally put the truck on its back and it dies out, I just have to reach in my pocket for the glowstarter and a quick tug on the pullstart and I am cruising again.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:57 PM
RVC

Thanks for the Info, I am going to T.H. to check it out right now. I am unsure what engine I want. It seems as if all of them are good upgrades to the stock .25 on there now.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:22 PM
azzman

There is a guy on Ebay selling the SH .28 Prospec for $129, shipping $12 [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/SH-28-Prospec-6-Port-Nitro-engine-fits-HPI-SAVAGE-X_W0QQitemZ170050895402QQihZ007QQcategoryZ1200QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1700508 95402]HERE[/link]