Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

hummingbird tail problems again..

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

hummingbird tail problems again..

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 09:20 PM
scimitar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hummingbird tail problems again..

had the hb so steady for the past few flights-- now the tail is jerkey.. you can hear it pulsating.. i have gws pg-03 gyro... iv played with the setup and gain on the gyro- no change. and iv resoldered the connections.. i also held the heli in my hand as to keep it from turning- and i think the tail might have sounded more steady.. couldnt REALLY tell.. any ideas?? is this a symptom of a gyro gone bad?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Double-OZERO

Default RE: hummingbird tail problems again..

Do you have any noticeable vibration?? Blades balanced??
Don't really know too much but I had a similiar problem until I rebalanced my blades and fastened my gyro to the rear with velcro. I really believe the velcro helped to cut down on my gyro glitchin'
Old 12-22-2003, 10:15 PM
briguy27

Sounds like a vibration problem.Check for a crack in your tail boom (try twisting it easily it should be pretty solid) or an out of balance blade??A Vibration would make your gyro work erratically causing a pulsation!!
Old 12-22-2003, 11:26 PM
scimitar

could try balancing the blades... but its a really bad pulsaing-- not really fast- just slow moving intervals at a steady tempo. Really think unbalanced blades could be the cause? doesnt look like im getting alot of vibration. and tail seems straight....
Old 12-23-2003, 02:38 AM
Banished Outside

Maybe your Tail Motor has a dead spot, does it do it with just the tail motor spinning i.e no throttle full right yaw.

Steve
Old 12-23-2003, 08:50 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You describe a pulsing tail. Does the tail move back and forth in flight? If so, that is commonly referred to as tail wag. The simplest way to address tail wag is to turn down the gain on the gyro. Sounds like you have already tried that. Out of curiousity, what main motor, are you running, and what tail motor, what main and tail ESCs, and what battery? I have heard of problems with tail wag in some configurations with high cell count (usually 3 LiPo) but that usually involced the CSM gyro. Another possible cause is the mounting of the gyro. Can it wiggle? if so, it needs to be more secure. If there is not enough of a contact patch for the sticky foam tape, the gyro will move, and think that the heli is moving, and make a wrong adjustment to the tail throttle. Oh, mounting without the foam tape will transmit some of the normal chasis vibration to the gyro, creating the same improper control.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:40 AM
scimitar

i have the 370 motor- and the heli is pretty much stock as far as the battery- i have a g10 frame and a carbon finset on the back (stock main blades,brand new) - the heli was flying great with everything mounted where it is now.... im goin crazy with this...
Old 12-23-2003, 10:57 AM
VinceHerman

Do you have the sticky foam tape between the PG03 and the mount? Can it wiggle easily when you push and pull the gyro case?
Where do you have the gain setting? Mine flies well with it set at 12:00. I have the gaine turned up as far as it will go without introducing wag (actually, I get a few wag occasionally, but only one or two then it calms down.) I should probably turn the gain down a bit. 12:00 on mine is near max. Probably 85%.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:22 AM
scimitar

yeah i have the foam- and my settings are similar to yours-- this heli flew great with this setup for a while! cant figure out whats goin on here....
Old 12-23-2003, 12:07 PM
VinceHerman

How much have you turned down the gain to try to get rid of the wag? If I have mine at 85% and get just a hint of wag occasionally, at 75% I get no wag. But if I still had it, I would go down to 50% and see what happened. Have you done that? (probably a silly question, but I want to make sure we are not skipping a simple fix)
Old 12-25-2003, 11:38 PM
scimitar

even with the gain from 0% to 100% and everything in between, the tail motor is still "surging" . could this be a sign of the tail motor dying?