Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

MP Jet motor on Hummingbird!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

MP Jet motor on Hummingbird!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 07:18 PM
VULTCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP Jet motor on Hummingbird!

Hi everyone, I wanted to go brushless on my hummingbird without breaking the bank. I know per these posts the Razor motors are rated the best, but everywhere I checked were on backorder. Also the Astro 010HM was on backorder. So I thought I would try the MP Jet 25/25-26 motor. It was only $49.95 from Hobby Lobby, comes with a 5:1 gearbox. After removing the gearbox, I found installed a 9 tooth pinon gear which meshed perfect. There were some problems mounting. First the motor shaft is too short to use the orgional mount and second, this motor uses three screws 120 deg. apart to mount to the gearbox. I had to cut the orgional motor mount from the frame, then make one from aluminum to replace it. Also I made a crimp style motor mount to go around the motor and mount the motor to the new frame. I made this of aluminum and it serves as an additional heatsink. I trimmed the skid bracket and glued it with CA to the front of the new bracket. Sounds like a lot of trouble, was it worth it? YES!!!!! I'm using a 3 cell 700ma LiPo battery and Phonex 10 controller. I have yet to go full throttle as it would probably break the rotor blades or pull the head assembly apart. I was not expecting this kind of performance. Great little motor! Flys great with stock tailmotor with hummingboard controlling the tail. Next project: Installing an Astroflight Firefly motor on the tail (Whenever it gets here). By the way, Todds Models had the Phoenix 10 in stock and he is really great to deal with. Total cost of the upgrade $100.00 + shipping
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36730.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	85349  
Old 12-27-2003, 12:26 AM
ctshaynes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MP Jet motor on Hummingbird!

Sweet!