Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Engine Test Stand

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Engine Test Stand

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:35 AM
DRafalske

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Test Stand

I'm getting ready to try to fire up an old OS .60FP for the first time in close to 20 years. I need a test stand as testing it on the model is not feasible. I can handle building it and mounting the engine/fuel tank, etc. What are y'all doing for throttle controls though? Just rigging up a lever control I guess? Anyone care to share some pics of your test rigs?

Dave
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Ed Smith

Default RE: Engine Test Stand

Universal, free standing, no need to clamp it to picnic tables or chairs. Throttle control is a long wire pushrod with a clevis at the engine end and an elastic band at the other wrapped around the pipe support, very simple.

Ed S

Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 AM
DRafalske

Very nice! I was planning a wooden construction as my metalworking skills leave something to be desired, but had a more or less similar plan in mind. I like the idea of your throttle control though. Thanks for sharing!

Dave
Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Dave:

I haven't used a test stand in years but when I did I hooked up a servo and old Rx and ran it from a radio. Worked
really well when I used it. Sorry, it has been so long I don't have a picture but I remember the servo just fit in a piece
of aluminum "U" channel I got at Lowe's.

Dan
Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 AM
DRafalske

Thats kind of the reason testing out the engine on the model is not really an option. The only radio system I own is an old Airtronics Vanguard (not a bad piece in it's day) that hasn't been touched in about 20 years. I don't know if it even still works, I've long since lost the chargers, and the batteries probably wouldn't take a charge anyway.

Dave
Old 04-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's something I drew up (not my design, just my interpretation) but never built. Servo for the throttle...

Old 04-10-2012, 02:05 AM
nk3t

I have a PSPtest stand, mounted on a piece of plywood, which I clamp into a B&D workmate. Great system.

http://www.pspmfg.com/RCEngineTestStand.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19777.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1748878  
Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 AM
MarkD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built this as a permanent stand for the club field.

All a member needed was his own piece of 3/4" ply that had the mount for his engine attached to it. My small engine plate had four different size plastic mounts permantently bolted on it- to change engine sizes I just rotated the plate on the main stand.

Construction was out of 2 x 4's and some srap 1/4" ply. By pulling the bolts on the top of the metal straps the unit would fold down flat. There were two clips on the oposite side of the base to hold the re-bar stakes as well as a carry handle.

It was built to handle upto a 100 CC engine.

I used a simple lever throttle at first, but latter used a servo and a home brewed servo driver- no need for a transmitter pin.

Mark D

Name:	Hf98019.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1748898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18834.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1748899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86556.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1748900  
Old 04-10-2012, 03:57 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I clamp my stand to my workmate... for the throttle i took and old comb.. knocked out every other tooth and screwed it the test stand. Bend the throttle pushrod to a Z bend. shape and I just lay the rod in the missing tooth section of the comb where needed. Saw this tip from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in RCM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 AM
DRafalske

Nice looking stands guys. I did build one, similar in layout to MarkD's, but a little more down-n-dirty in construction. I found it too light and unstable and would up strapping it to a couple cinder blocks. Other than that it works out great. I'll try to get a couple pics up.
Also happy to report that old engine fired up without a whole lot of trouble and ran great. Looks like I'll be able to use it.

Dave
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good news re: the engine. Time to fly!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some interesting stands here. Quite innovative too.
This engine stand thread made me recall a videoclip that circulated a while back of a guy testing an engine, clamping the stand to a wooden rail on a porch - the clamp slipped off and the engine and stand lurched forward causing chaos...... Anybody remembering that videoclip?

Cheers

Bundu
Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 AM
lz-23

Here is mine. Is tested up to 0.61 so far, no problem of any sort.

Name:	xv63358.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	1762841  
Old 05-15-2012, 06:01 AM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wrap the fuel tank to the base with rubber bands and run a music wire throttle control rod through the rubber bands.  Keeps enough friction & tension on to hold settings and is cheap, infinately adjustable and easy.  My "test stands" are 1" x 4" x 18" +/- planks with a cut-out for the engine.  I clamp them to a sawhorse or the lower deck (I learned to keep oil & fuel off the deck proper or THE ADMIRAL gets testy).  For gas I bolt a piece of 2" x 6" to a vertical deck post.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:47 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

one thing about test stands for breaking in engines is that the latest talk is that test/breakin stands are not good for engines. except the PSP vibration mount stand that simulates the engine mounted in an air frame. DLE and several other say dont break in an engine on a stand.

The thoughts are that a heavy aluminum mount that mounted to a heavy base doesnt allow the engine to rock and vibrate the same as mounted in a light weight air frame. the engine will be broken in with no movement then ran in an airframe that allows the engine to move a lot.

Do as you wish because its just a hobby. if i was competting with an engine though i would surley break it in the way i was going to run it.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:01 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use soft wire with a Z bend for the throttle, it stays where you leave it. It is a bit longer than needed. The commercial stand I had didn't accept mufflers so I made another one. See if I can load a pic.

Name:	Gd93603.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1763801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16498.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1763802