Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Newbie needs some suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 12:14 PM
svanos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs some suggestions

I'm an RC Airplane flyer, but my two boys are more interested in getting into RC car racing. They've both had the better Radio Shack stuff, but want something more compatible with the indoor track we have at a local hobby shop.

They want to go electric. So, can any of you guys offer some suggestions about what cars would be a good entry vehicle for them? I would want something that is reasonably modifiable, but not looking for 'professional' stuff or top of the line. The boys are 9 and 14 and they (at least at present) just want to 'drive' more than work on cars.

I've got heavy duty battery charger (a Triton), so I just need to know what middle of the road radio, and what cars are good starter cars that they would 'outgrow' too fast.

Any advice/tips appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Nitroaddict

Default RE: Newbie needs some suggestions

Well, there are several choices out there but the big decision would be wether you want to go with a kit or a Ready to Run vehicle that comes assembled and with all necessary equipment. Since you mentioned that your boys don't really want to work on the vehicle too much, an RTR version might be better.

A great buggy that is RTR and comes with everything except a battery and charger is the Team Associated B4. Here is a link:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJPY5&P=0

Great thing is, that if they ever decided to get into racing - it's a competitive machine. Very common too, so parts are easy to come by.

If they want something a bit more durable, the Team Losi XXXT RTR is a nice truck that is also ready to go. It has a much better transmitter though, so that's a big plus. Here is a link for that one:

http://www.ehobbies.com/losa0095.html

Finally, if you are trying to keep the cost down a bit, the Duratrax Evader EP RTR is another great truck. Maybe the most durable, but not quite as race worthy, however, that doesn't seem to be quite as important in this case. Here is a link for that truck:

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...ax/dtxd20.html

And finally, the Losi Mini-T is another option, much smaller than the others, but can be driven inside as well. Here is a link for that vehicle.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore/...ArticleID=1345

All of these vehicles are very fast and can be customized till your heart is content. Hope this helps!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 01:07 PM
svanos

THANKS! What are the choices if I wanted to help them put together a kit? Are there kits that include radio, ESC, and everything?

Old 06-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nitroaddict
All of these vehicles are very fast and can be customized till your heart is content. Hope this helps!!!
Ya right. The stock RTR Losi Mini-T was rated at 14mph. As far as that goes, I would purchase a RTR Kyosho Mini-Inferno which has been rated at 13mph, selling for the same price, is a buggy, and is 4WD. The Kyosho Mini-Inferno also comes with different servo mounts with a servo saver that is not mounted on the servo horn like the Losi Mini-T. Myself, I own only one Losi Mini-T, but own two Kyosho Mini-Infernos. I've also been running a brushless motor in one of them with a 3-cell lipo and everything is holding up fine with the exception of the front shock tower--the stock front shock tower is sort of flimsy. The downside is that since the Mini-Inferno is a new release, the sources for replacement and option parts are still limited especially since Kyosho just opened an office in California which has caused some delays in the USA. However, Ultimate Hobbies and a few other LHS/Online stores have many of the parts and options now.

Svanos,
Myself, I have yet to see a kit that includes the electronics. Kits are also usually more expensive since the parts are usually of a better quality. One thing Losi did was release their Mini-T in a RTR forum and then later release it in a kit forum without the electronics. Most everywhere I have seen, sells both the RTR and "Pro" version for the same price though at one time Ultimate was selling the Mini-T for $99.00 instead of $149.00. If you do decide to build a kit, go FM. You may also want to use digital electronics if possible which are more expensive but you may want to use them later if you upgrade to a better R/C. However, I understand if it is not possible since it appears that you will be purchasing two R/Cs at the same time and then probably upgrading them both at the same time. R/C can get very, very expensive considering quality radios, electronics, kits, and so on.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:59 PM
DJ1978

Steve,
Electric is the way to go to start. Easy to work on, to get and keep running.
Associated and Losi sell excellent RTR Packages in both Off Road and On Road. You did not say which type of racing you were thinking of getting into.
I would suggest an Off Road Truck to start. Especially at the age the boys are. They are tough, fast and fun to race and run for fun.
The RTR Associated T4 or Losi XXXT are great packages that can be upgraded as they progress. Trucks are fun to run on an On Road course also.
Those vehicles are available in kit form also. I do not suggest an Off Road Buggy to start. They get hung up in grass in your yard because of the low Ride height.
On Road.... HPI, Associated and Losi sell great RTR and kit Sedans. Not as durable as the Off Road. And you need smooth asphalt to run them on.
JR, Futaba and Hitec have great Radios. Get FM if you can afford them and 75 Mhz. Buy Nickle Metal Hydride batteries. they cost a little more... but are much more durable and take less care. Nicads need discharged after each run and stored in a discharged condition. Nickle Metals will give you longer run times and if they still have some juice in them when they are put away that is OK. You will need a charger that is NiMh compatible.
Duratrax Evader St is a great RTR starter package. VERY Popular. Part support is good. See what your Hobby shop carries.
Traxxas Rustler an entry level truck that will take a lot of abuse. But.. if they want to get into racing and progress well... they will want to move up to the Associated or Losi before long.
In my opinion, the Best Bang for your buck in Electric RC is the Traxxas EMaxx. Again.. a little more to get into but well worth it. It is ready to race. Take it out of the box, put the attena on and the batteries in and you are out and running!!
It is four wheel drive, dual motor, Dual battery, two speed shift from the radio. Forward and Reverse. Great fun at home and lots of fun on a race track as well. VERY Durable, VERY Fast in second gear. Goes anywhere. Tremendous parts support and hop up parts as well. www.traxxas.com

Do some research..... Check with local hobby shops to see what they carry parts for. Check with the track to see what they race there.
Get the best you can afford.
Hope this helps.
Dan
Old 06-03-2005, 02:21 PM
svanos

Thanks guys, keep the tips coming. Oh, I'm familiar with radios, digital servos, batteries (except Lith-Poly), and all because I'm into RC planes.

I guess these boys would want something that could work on or off road. If a choice, they'd prefer off road so they would run them out on parking lots and stuff intead of on carpet at the hobby shop. I think that they are more into just driving the cars right now more than 'formal' races. But they may come later. Now, they just want to race each other.

Seems like I'm hearing that if you buy a kit, you get a better quality car and parts, but have to supply your own radio, servos, and ESC and batteries and maybe even motor. Is that correct?

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-03-2005, 02:38 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: svanos

Seems like I'm hearing that if you buy a kit, you get a better quality car and parts, but have to supply your own radio, servos, and ESC and batteries and maybe even motor. Is that correct?

Thanks, Steve
Yep, all you usually get with a kit is the parts to make a "rolling chassis". It should not be too difficult to get a complete "kit" from a shop, you would just have to select all the other parts that are not included in the kit - batteries, esc, etc, etc. If you intend to buy two identical cars/buggies (which would make things much easier) with identical electronics i'm sure you could come to an arrangement with the lhs as to a good price for the lot (2 kits, 2 esc's, 2 motors etc). You would probably be spending well over $500 with everything included, so i'm sure you could "haggle" for a good price.
A few years ago when i got into "real" rc i bought a Tamiya kit. The lhs was doing a special offer with everything included for a reduced price than what it would cost to buy everything seperately. If you could find something similar i'm sure you could get a good price.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Nitroaddict

svanos - yes, kit's are generally better quality, and the biggest advantage is that the kids can help put them together so that they better understand how everything works. Good father/son bonding project as well. The downside is that a kit with everything will usually run close to or double the cost of an RTR package.

Personally, if you can afford it and the kids are willing to build and assemble, I would recommend kits. But the RTR package prices are hard to beat and are still very good quality.