Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

I just bought my second DA 50

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM
JUGFLIER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just bought my second DA 50

Well i just bought my second Desert Aircraft engine in a month. I have to say that out of the box, the first one ran, ran good, and made the kind of power its supposed to. I took the plane its on, a GP Cap 232, to Chattanooga and my son flew the stew out of it up there. the engine ran flawless and never had a dead stick and we had two tanks thru it when we went up. I was so impressed with the motor i bought me an Ultra RC Yak 54 this weekend and yesterday i ordered a DA 50 to go on it.
BTW, after 4 weeks i got my motor back from Evolution. It had major problems and they replaced it. I am going to sell it as was suggested by all the well wishers in another thread to get the money for servos for my yak.
Hope this helps someone.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:03 AM
arobatx

Default RE: I just bought my second DA 50

I'm glad horizon took care of you, I was starting to wonder since we hadn't heard. Have you had the chance to check out the new DL-50? If you are happy with the DA, you should really check these out
Old 08-14-2007, 09:08 AM
JUGFLIER

ORIGINAL: arobatx

I'm glad horizon took care of you, I was starting to wonder since we hadn't heard. Have you had the chance to check out the new DL-50? If you are happy with the DA, you should really check these out

The mod in here as been esp testy about me posting in reference to evolution. He closed down my thread i was using to report back the progress. I could have given Evolution a plug there but knee jerk reactions one again has served to muffle the exchange of ideas and info here on RCU.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 AM
JUGFLIER

Moderator shut down that thread. I could'nt keep abreast the progress. I could have given Evolution a plug, but so i goes, over moderation is a two edged sword.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 AM
JUGFLIER

ORIGINAL: arobatx

Mod shut down my thread that i was using for progess report.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:31 PM
JUGFLIER

Arobatx,

How many of the DL's do you have? I am thinking of trying one but in a $700.00 plane i wanted the best. What size prop does the DL swing? Did you use the flimsy mount that came with it?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:13 PM
arobatx

I have two...one new from Bob at DLusa, and one used that i got from someone locally that couldn't tune it and wanted to unload it. So far i have used only the Xoar 22x10, 23x8 and the Mezjlik 23x8. For aerobatic flying the 23x8 Mezj is clearly the best for my preferences but I'm not sure most folks would think it is so much better to be worth the price being so much higher. To each his own there. On both engines, I have the DA standoffs. Though everyone I have talked to has had very good results with the stock mount, especially the most recently updated one. They aren't pretty, but apparently they work well.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Walt and Sage

A friend of mine has a DL 50 on a 540 Edge with 35 flights on it
and it has been the best running motor I have ever seen right out of the box..
I am building the same combo as we picked up two motors and planes together...
DL ic coming out with a 100 twin.... 1/2 the cost of a DA

DA better be careful or they could lose their place in the market...

Old 08-16-2007, 10:34 AM
JUGFLIER

Walt,
I went to Chattanooga Tn. ywo weeks ago to fly at the Extreme 3 d event there. There were a lot of planes represented there. One thing i noticed was that all of they were powered by either DA or 3w. There were a few people there selling various off brand engines, one even a twin. But they couldn't get them to run right on the planes they were flying. When you have 3 or 4k envested in an airplane, you have to have reliable power, for me i'll stick with DA unless the quality goes down hill.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JUGFLIER

Walt,
I went to Chattanooga Tn. ywo weeks ago to fly at the Extreme 3 d event there. There were a lot of planes represented there. One thing i noticed was that all of they were powered by either DA or 3w. There were a few people there selling various off brand engines, one even a twin. But they couldn't get them to run right on the planes they were flying. When you have 3 or 4k envested in an airplane, you have to have reliable power, for me i'll stick with DA unless the quality goes down hill.
If you ever saw a DL 50 run it would change your mind----Enough for me to get rid of two DA-50's---Don't let the price lead you to believe that the DL is a poorly made/running engine....And don't be fooled into thinking you are getting an American made product with the DA..... If you really want the best then you need to take a long look at the DL....The way this engine runs will amaze you...My DL runs much better than the DA's I had....

Kevin
Old 08-17-2007, 01:15 AM
pilot727

I just bought a DA-50 and i wanted the one stack muffler but it came with the two stack wrap around, i also bought a hyde mount for the DA-50 i was going to put it onto the cap x i bought but i put my ys-160dz on the cap x and the da-50 is going on my GP- cap 232 sport as it is a 79 inch wing span compared to a 74 inch wing span but i have heard that it also flies great with the cap x as well, i run all of my planes with merle hydes soft mounts, the mount that comes with the cap x from chip hyde is not a soft mount, merle hyde chips dad invented the soft mount and chip won the world championship at age 12, now all of the professionals that fly IMAC most all of them use the hyde soft mount and merle makes over 600 different mounts and has just made another type of soft mount, the guys at the field cannot believe that i now have very little to no vibration, what is the DL engine and who makes it, i do not think i have heard of it, the DA-50 i just bought is my very first gas engine, tomorrow i am going to fly the cap x it's maiden flight with the ys-160 dz, i have run out of fuel with it but in two years i have not yet had a dead stick and the power is outstanding, i would love to try the new ys-170 they have on the market now but the 160 uses enough gas 30% does not come cheap and it loves it's fuel but if not running it open it isnt to bad.