Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Rio 51 Full Mod... Here ya go.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Rio 51 Full Mod... Here ya go.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:44 PM
webdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rio 51 Full Mod... Here ya go.

Ive had a few requests to post up, so heres the Rio with a BH Hansen Full Mod. Hansen 2" band pipe. 45 degree 2" drop, 90 degree header. T-Mod Cheater muffler.

Tore out the stuffing tube and went round flexcable instead of the square.

Tank is out in favor of an IV bag. Running gear remains the same.

Its an easy switch; the drive side mounts go in the old holes in the stringer. You can see in the pics the front holes are about 2" forward of where the old ones were. The hole in the transom needs to be opened up a little, depending on pipe and length. I used the old rubber grommet for vibration isolation; it slides over the pipe w/ a little effort.

First run will be Sunday.

Things to finish before then;
cut the flexcable
secure IV bag
finish plumbing
bend and attach throttle pushrod.
ask Will to gimmee a strut bushing and no-holds-barred access to his prop box
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65611.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	878627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42297.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	878628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38396.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	878629  
Old 02-14-2008, 05:53 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rio 51 Full Mod... Here ya go.

looks good mate should go well now ehh .
Old 02-14-2008, 06:00 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking Good....considering any radio/servo changes to match the upbeat mods......
Old 02-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Believe It
Banned

Looks good buddy. You know you are welcome to anything in my boxes [8D]
Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

Looking Good....considering any radio/servo changes to match the upbeat mods......
Pretty sure he is putting a FASST reciever in it....not sure if hes changing servo's or not.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:09 PM
mopartybob

after all the hula-baloo about prior issues,nothing was ever mentioned about the strength/quality of servos, jus wunderin if the rudder servo could take the extra oomph this beast is gonna put out...thanks will
Old 02-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Believe It
Banned

Well if he still has the stock servo's in it.... we will find out. I have a couple props to try that i believe we will get this thing running 50+ with.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:18 PM
webdr

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

after all the hula-baloo about prior issues,nothing was ever mentioned about the strength/quality of servos, jus wunderin if the rudder servo could take the extra oomph this beast is gonna put out...thanks will

Yea, stock servos, which have pretty good torque with the stock motor. Im definately going to upgrade to futaba digital high torque servos next. Im running them in my Avenger and its night and day difference.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:28 PM
hawaiianed

Thanks for the pictures. I'm going to stick with the stock motor (fuji) for now and make the best of it. Al from BHHanson has been very helpful. Thanks for the lead.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 PM
simonmiller

I do not know anything about these boats but it sounds like you are getting to the point where you have spent approx $700 on a hull.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: simonmiller

I do not know anything about these boats but it sounds like you are getting to the point where you have spent approx $700 on a hull.

I can you tell this... the motor wasnt changed because of "problems" with the Fuji. Matt plans to race the Rio in our LSG Mono class, and with the Fuji motor it just wouldnt have been competitive. In all the running with the Rio, no problems occured with the motor itself.

And take it as it is... we will set the bar for the other Rio owners to chase on being the fastest Rio out there. [X(]
Old 02-14-2008, 06:57 PM
mopartybob

ORIGINAL: Believe It

ORIGINAL: simonmiller

I can you tell this... the motor wasnt changed because of "problems" with the Fuji. Matt plans to race the Rio in our LSG Mono class, and with the Fuji motor it just wouldnt have been competitive. In all the running with the Rio, no problems occured with the motor itself.

And take it as it is... we will set the bar for the other Rio owners to chase on being the fastest Rio out there. [X(]
heh-heh-heh...you guyz ROCK ON.....[8D]
Old 02-14-2008, 08:57 PM
mauian

We beat you to it Webdr. Our RIO's fully modded meaning motor and pipe. I'll post pics this weekend after we run on Sunday. I getting 48.2 on gps and thats on a 70mm prop and a 2.9 hp Zen. gonna see what she does with a 75 3 blade. Nice pics.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:17 PM
webdr

Awesome, I knew you had beat me to it, Should have mentioned that. Lets have a friendly competition to see who can go faster w/ what we got. Only prop and running gear adjustments...Im hoping for lo 50s...

Like Will said, this Rio is going to race LSG mono and I have a good feeling it will be a somewhat competitive boat.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 PM
hawaiianed

...and I've seen mauaian's and tunda's Rio, and they fly. A little N. V. S. See you on Sunday!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:45 AM
mauian

ORIGINAL: webdr

Awesome, I knew you had beat me to it, Should have mentioned that. Lets have a friendly competition to see who can go faster w/ what we got. Only prop and running gear adjustments...Im hoping for lo 50s...

Like Will said, this Rio is going to race LSG mono and I have a good feeling it will be a somewhat competitive boat.
We getting 48.2 mph on only 2.9 hp Zenoahs from whh. I was like jumping up and down when I lifted the hatch and saw the #'s. 2.9 hp ......not bad , maybe I can squeeze just a few more hp and I will be content with this setup but then ya know how ya get the speed fever...lol.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:03 AM
martno1fan

Mauian you keep saying modded but 2.9 hp is stock or do you just mean you modded the boat by sticking the zen in there instead of the fuji wuji .I think thats a good speed for a stock zenoah the boat has good lines should be capable of 50+ for sure with the modded zen,be interesting to see how well it handles that speed.Look forward to the videos guys .What weight does the rio come in at now with the new motor?.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: mauian

ORIGINAL: webdr

We getting 48.2 mph on only 2.9 hp Zenoahs from whh. I was like jumping up and down when I lifted the hatch and saw the #'s. 2.9 hp ......not bad , maybe I can squeeze just a few more hp and I will be content with this setup but then ya know how ya get the speed fever...lol.
Good speed.... but if you are using a pipe, your motor is making more then 3hp FYI.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:55 AM
martno1fan

Yup 3.something or other depending what pipe etc,what modded motor have you guys got in the rio now?.I would think i mid mod would make it go well enough,a full mod would be pretty much ballistic and maybe too much but you wont know till you try it i suppose.Look forward to seeing the results .
Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 AM
ken0276
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Yup 3.something or other depending what pipe etc,what modded motor have you guys got in the rio now?.I would think i mid mod would make it go well enough,a full mod would be pretty much ballistic and maybe too much but you wont know till you try it i suppose.Look forward to seeing the results .
Mart, You might try this Tony pro mod 260? $390 shipped that included the engine mount, 257 carb, throttle cable and throttle arm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35763.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	879200  
Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 PM
mauian

Mauian you keep saying modded but 2.9 hp is stock or do you just mean you modded the boat by sticking the zen in there instead of the fuji wuji .I think thats a good speed for a stock zenoah the boat has good lines should be capable of 50+ for sure with the modded zen,be interesting to see how well it handles that speed.Look forward to the videos guys .What weight does the rio come in at now with the new motor?.
hey Mart,
It's a ez 4 5hp as stated when I purchased it from whh but Tony got a new Dyno and what they thought was a 5hp mod with their old dyno, was not correct. My understanding now is that a stock Zen is less than as advertized by most and Zenoah. I cannot say exactly the details but call Tony and he will be more than happy to explain the details. All I was told is that our motors are only 2.9 hp and if I getting 48.2 mph on a Garmin gps thats quite impressive. Anyway its way better than a Fujii whatever ya call it..lol. I never weighed it yet gotta go do that........take it to usps and borrow the scale maybe...hehe.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:08 PM
martno1fan

if thats the case i think tony might lose some sales cos a stock zen is 2.9 hp or thats what they have been selling them as for a few years ?.my mate has a modded motor from tony and its running over 55 in his cat almost 60 not sure if its the ez4 but its not a full mod,you wont get that from a stock zenoah or a 2.9 hp motor i wouldnt think.who told you your modded zen is only 2.9 hp ? i doubt it was tony as hes still selling them as 5 hp ?.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:41 PM
martno1fan

right looking at the whhobies site the ez4 is a stock zen then you get the m5 pro mod and the m6 ultra mod.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:42 PM
mauian

It was Tony but let me check my papers, I beleive it was the mid mod or 5hp but he said the new dyno results say different. May need to call Tony again to verify what my motor is. No matter, I happy with the results so far.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:55 PM
mauian

if thats the case i think tony might lose some sales cos a stock zen is 2.9 hp or thats what they have been selling them as for a few years ?.my mate has a modded motor from tony and its running over 55 in his cat almost 60 not sure if its the ez4 but its not a full mod,you wont get that from a stock zenoah or a 2.9 hp motor i wouldnt think.who told you your modded zen is only 2.9 hp ? i doubt it was tony as hes still selling them as 5 hp ?.
Sorry Mart no puns intended, but comparing a cat to a mono or my speeds from a mono is like compairing Basketballs to a marble...If I was to stick my motor in a cat I have no doubt I will go over 50+ mph. But realisticly think about it , what I am getting now is very good no doubt. Let us know what speeds ya get and if that is a race mod motor you will push 50 + mph if I getting 48.2 mph.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.