Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

BL savage roller, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:51 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default BL savage roller, need help.

i just got this savage roller.
it has flux gears. a BL motor was in it.

i have a 2200kv long can, and a vxl ESC. i may get a 4s capable ESC at some point, but for now i will use 3s.

i will need ideas for a battery tray. can the flux tray be mounted on this chassis?

i know the savage is know for being tough, but are there any weak points i should think about upgrading?

note: those cool big shocks arent included[&:]

Old 01-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Bluethunder3320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BL savage roller, need help.

im not into savages, but i think they have weak trannys. i remember a guy at my LHS with his savage it was clicking inside the trans but ran O.K. it was messed up though.

however, it is good to have a weak point, but something that is easily replaced. such as a spur gear, NOT a diff or drive shaft.

it will be a beast... where does the battery go on a stock flux?

EDIT: is it just me, or is it missing the rear drive shaft? also the front drive cup looks badly worn.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Bluethunder3320

im not into savages, but i think they have weak trannys. i remember a guy at my LHS with his savage it was clicking inside the trans but ran O.K. it was messed up though.

however, it is good to have a weak point, but something that is easily replaced. such as a spur gear, NOT a diff or drive shaft.

it will be a beast... where does the battery go on a stock flux?

EDIT: is it just me, or is it missing the rear drive shaft? also the front drive cup looks badly worn.
in the pic it is missing the rear driveshaft. the seller may have one, or i might have to buy one. they dont cost much tho.

it is clearly a "well used" chassis. but i got it for a decent price. and since i have a motor-esc-3s lipo already on hand, i should be able to get it running for not much $$$. and it has the gears from the FLUX version, which is able to handle 6s lipo. so it should handle 3s OK.
the flux has side mounted battery trays. im just not sure if they can be bolted to this chassis.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Bluethunder3320

yeah i can tell the skid plate has been tenderized allright...

i would say its worth 150-200 range since they are like what, 5 or 6 hundred new?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:25 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bluethunder3320

yeah i can tell the skid plate has been tenderized allright...

i would say its worth 150-200 range since they are like what, 5 or 6 hundred new?
in all honesty thats an old model savage looks like a .21 or .25 without shocks I'd say its worth like $120 tops in that condition.
in april or so I picked a .21 with 2 bodies, and everything but a radio included for $200 shipped

As for battery box's no a flux's will not bolt on

You will have to make your own, or order them from kershaw designs (I know he makes box's that fit the older savages). When I was running that chassis I used delrin rods to bolt pede chassis's to the sides.
Hell here's the thread I made back in april with what it looked like. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...tm.htm#9675598

Weakest part's on that model are the dog bones/driveshafts, and the cups that goto the diffs(they were never made to take that kinda power), after that are the diffs(current diffs are $50 a pop with the upgraded casing, but both have to be replaced at the same time). the Tranny is pretty solid and can take a fair bit of abuse.

Basically all savage parts are compatible with it, and to prove that here are 2 pics of what it currently looks like to compare it to what it started out like in that thread (this is the same vehicle )
I only converted it to flux box's cause I got the motor mount, and after market plates cheap. $10 for the motor mount, and $20 for plates

BTW I think 3S will be too little for it and might damage your battery, and tax the ESC. I ran it on a MM 1/8th monster ESC and that got hot. I ended up with the HW 150A setup and couldn't be happier with its performance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20039.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1551172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72310.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1551173  
Old 01-22-2011, 05:15 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

in all honesty thats an old model savage looks like a .21 or .25 without shocks I'd say its worth like $120 tops in that condition.
in april or so I picked a .21 with 2 bodies, and everything but a radio included for $200 shipped

As for battery box's no a flux's will not bolt on

You will have to make your own, or order them from kershaw designs (I know he makes box's that fit the older savages). When I was running that chassis I used delrin rods to bolt pede chassis's to the sides.
Hell here's the thread I made back in april with what it looked like. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...tm.htm#9675598

Weakest part's on that model are the dog bones/driveshafts, and the cups that goto the diffs(they were never made to take that kinda power), after that are the diffs(current diffs are $50 a pop with the upgraded casing, but both have to be replaced at the same time). the Tranny is pretty solid and can take a fair bit of abuse.

Basically all savage parts are compatible with it, and to prove that here are 2 pics of what it currently looks like to compare it to what it started out like in that thread (this is the same vehicle )
I only converted it to flux box's cause I got the motor mount, and after market plates cheap. $10 for the motor mount, and $20 for plates

BTW I think 3S will be too little for it and might damage your battery, and tax the ESC. I ran it on a MM 1/8th monster ESC and that got hot. I ended up with the HW 150A setup and couldn't be happier with its performance.
I would say he'd need a better esc than the VXL. It will be too hard on the ESC running it in that rig.[:-]
When I sold my twinforce I had spiral diff gears and crown gears in it because I was gonna go HV brushless.
So if he wants more power I suggest spiral diff gears and crown gears.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:47 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

i paid $100 shipped for the chassis with some misc parts.

i have run a vxl system in my emaxx before. the speed was only 35 or so. much better than stock but way less than what it would do in a rustler.
i didnt run it for long, but only because the chassis couldnt handle it.
the esc/motor/battery were all in safe temps.

the motor i plan to use is lower KV than the vxl motor. its comparable to the 9xl, 2200kv. so im hoping that will help temps even more.

i do plan on buying a ezrun 80amp ESC. that will let me run 4s. hard to beat at $60. the same ESC that is in the redcat 1/8 earthquake im gonna buy.
i know that wont give me crazy speeds. i will have to gear conservative. but if i can get 35-40mph out of 4s i will be happy.

syco, i thought i had remembered somemone useing a pede chassis!

anyway, its nasty cold and there is lots of snow. so i will have plenty of time to fix up this chassis with a decent BL setup.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:37 AM
savagecommander

40 with 2200 on 4s might be ok- watch your gears though. the 2650 is a better kv for 4 cells. the vxl has a better continuous rating than the ez, and personally unless youre going to drive very conservatively, i dont think 80A will be enough.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've used pede chassis's in alot of things they make EXCELLENT CHEAP battery box's
But ya 120A is minimum I would say in a savage remember these suckers are HEAVY I think there somewhere around 13-15lbs
The 80A esc might be fine in a light 1/8th truggy or buggy which weighs 9-10 lbs but the savage will toast it.
This is based on the issues my 120A CC MM 2200kv combo gave me with getting extremely hot after 10-15 min runs. Why I went to the HW 150A ESC, and 2000kv motor which are usually like 10-15 degrees(tops) over ambient temps after a 25 min run.