Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

XXXN-T break in help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 06:33 PM
The_Butler_1999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XXXN-T break in help

I just bought the XXXN-T .. and after owning the XXX-T ( Adam Drake ) I am looking forward to the same high performance and quality from the nitro version ( although parts availability seems a little low in my area ). I have owned a Traxxas T-Maxx ( bad word! Man what a hud! ) as my first nitro and was very unhappy with it. This is my second nitro car and I really hope I get the same performance as the electric version.

Questions are about the engine break in. The engine is the Mach .15.

1) The manual says to run in a oval configuration coasting 1/2 way around the turns and accelerating threw the straight away for the first 3 tanks. My question is do I ease into a full throttle on the straight away or keep it 1/2 or what? ..
2) How big of an oval are we talking?
3) I plan on running O'Donnell 20%. Is this fuel ok for break in? I plan on running 20% all the time and from what I understand about nitro is you break-in with what you plan to run.

Thanks Again!
Old 04-05-2003, 06:49 PM
bigbadbowtie

What they want you to do is get the motor up to temp asap. I usually break in my engines in my driveway. Its normally a big enough area. For the 1st few tanks don't open her up WOT. I know its hard but give it 3-5 tanks before you start letting it eat. After each tank(during break-in) you will want to let the engine cool to room temp and make sure the piston is at the bottom of the cylinder(BDC). Odonnell is a great fuel and has a decent amount of oil in it. I have used odonnell in the past with good success. As far as sticking with the same fuel after break in.... everyone has there own opinion about this. I emailed OS engines about this few weeks back and they said.....If your going to use the same nitro% then switching fuels is ok. Since most fuels have different oil content you will have to tune the engine to run with the new fuel.

Treat that Mach.15 right and it will last a long time. I picked one up off of ebay cheap for a beater project and I now have over 6 gallons through it and it still runs great.

Good Luck with your XXX-NT

PS make sure you keep the differential snug and you check the screw pins after 3-4 tanks. I know the 1st few batches of the XXX-NT sport had no thread locker on the pins and they backed out.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:46 AM
The_Butler_1999

Thats good information! .. I am going to wate for it to warm up a little before breaking it in.

Just just drive in an oval .. about mabe what 20 feet by 10 feet ease into it no more than 1/2 throttle .. sound about rite? ..

Thanks again! ..
Old 04-06-2003, 08:11 PM
bigbadbowtie

Sounds good to me,, after about the 4-5 tank you can start running it harder and tuning for power.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Brodie Sinn

I just ran mine around at half throttle on and off instead of ovals, I dunno but it worked great for mine. Important thing is to just get it to temperature without rodding the pi$$ out of it.