Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Im new to the sport with a few questions...thanks for the help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Im new to the sport with a few questions...thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 02:39 PM
GVCJuGGaLo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im new to the sport with a few questions...thanks for the help!

Ok, im new to the sport always had crap kmart rc's as a kid...always wanted fast ones....lol....well im 16 years old...i have a job that brings in like $80 a week....when school gets out for summer ill make like $150 a week...plus i mow the neighbors yard for $25 every week and my dad gives me $20 a week for chores....so i make enough to buy what ever i want.... but whats some good cars that are on-road...nitro...very fast....and very upgradable?

I was looking at the RTR RS4 Pro 3...are those good and upgradable? what about the RS4 type SS's are those hard to build?....what should i do...and possibly what upgrades should i get for them?

Remember money isnt really that much of and object i make like close to $450 a month...so i think i should be able to get a good one in a month plus keep upgrading it....

One more thing where are some good websites with maybe mail order catalogs or just info on RC nitro on-road cars.....possibly stores that sell that kinda stuff besides HPIRacing..

Thank you very much for whoever replys and helps me in this desision...i know you cant tell me the "best" because there isnt a "best" but theres crappy ass cars compared to others....just tell me some good cars that are on-road, nitro,very fast, and very upgradable that i could research...and maybe where i can research them...thank you.
--Paul
Old 05-19-2003, 03:00 PM
Rex2342

There are a few things you should look at before you buy an R/C car/truck.I wanted an on-road car so bad when I first got into this so I bought that(RS4 3 Type SS) but I later found out it's kinda hard to find time to take it to a big parking lot to run.Sure you can drive it on the street but then you gotta worry about cars and curbs and allot of other obstacles you can run into.Then I bought a truck(Savage21) and I can drive that anywhere I want and not worry about hitting stuff because it's more durable than an on road car.The Type SS is easy to build plus it gives you a good idea of how the whole thing works so when something breaks you know how to fix it.The Type SS also has tons of aftermarket support.All the parts that fit the RS4 3 RTR fit the Type SS so it's not hard to find parts.WWW.towerhobbies.com is about thr best place to buy online.They should have just about anything you need to start out in r/c and their prices are usually cheaper than allot of places.If you have any other ?? just ask.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:46 PM
GVCJuGGaLo

finding a place is no problem...i my uncle works at an airport i can ride it out side of the hanger when not in use....and i know of tones of parking lots big enough that are mostly empty i can go to....plus i drive soon...so thats no problem any more suggestions...i think im going for the RS4 3 Type SS
Old 05-19-2003, 03:56 PM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice car,my first nitro also.I built it next to a NTC3 and HPI did a better job as far as I can tell..attention to detail where I like it.Building took about 16 hours but I'm slack and was in no hurry.just pay attention to the instructions and look at the update sheet that comes with it.I bet you'll love that car,its sweet.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:56 PM
Rex2342

When you order the Type SS order the fiber brake with it and get a good FM radio too.The SS eats up allot of space and if you cheap out on the radio more than likely you will go to far and lose signal and that is never good.Order a good tuned pipe too.The one it comes with really sucks and mine broke after a few days.Get a few extra glow glugs and don't forget the igniter and charger and you should be all set.Just follow the break in steps and tune the engine good and you'll be doing 46mph in no time.

Here is my SS.I love driving this thing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	79806_32219.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	47276  
Old 05-19-2003, 06:33 PM
GVCJuGGaLo

how fast can they do if there tuned right and whats a kick ass controller to get and a all around pipe...thanks
Old 05-19-2003, 07:27 PM
HPIRS4-3SS
My Feedback: (2)

( a noob question)

i know getting a good tuned pipe is a good idea but what do they really do...do they give it more power?make it go faster?
Old 05-20-2003, 04:21 AM
Rex2342

Originally posted by HPIRS4-3SS
( a noob question)

i know getting a good tuned pipe is a good idea but what do they really do...do they give it more power?make it go faster?

I'm not sure of the total science on tuned pipes but I know it had allot to do with shape and the lenght of the pipe.2 stroke engines need backpressure to run properly.All I really know is that they help allot and you can buy them for either acceleration,top speed or you can get a good all around pipe.Any pipe will be an advantage over the stock SS pipe(it sucks so bad).
Old 05-22-2003, 06:49 PM
loverboy365

Have you checked out the Traxxas 4-TEC? It is a good vehicle that does 62 MPH out of the box and has a monsterous list of upgrades from the factory and other manufacturers. Plus the customer support from Traxxas is the best in the business. the vehicle is rtr, so all you need to do is get the batteries and charge them, add fuel, and you are ready to go. check out traxxas.com for more info on the vehicle, I believe you will be quite impressed.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:53 PM
GVCJuGGaLo

is it electric? i want a nitro on road...so is it that?
Old 05-22-2003, 06:58 PM
loverboy365

The 4-TEC comes in electric and nitro, the nitro 4-TEC does 62 MPH out of the box at only $320 + roughly 60 for everything else needed.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:41 PM
soapsuds43

the pipes are a main componet just chek out how many chambers there are REX seems to be top of the line i have one my self

one chamber: better low end (torq & acceleration)
dual chamber: better high end (rpm's & top speed)