Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

a noob that needs help !

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 01:00 AM
Ghettobrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a noob that needs help !

hello , all members of this RC forum Im Ghettobrick from Cleveland, Ohio!

1) My first question is was my first car choice... i bought a hpi RS4 with a few hop- ups, reciever included with a .15 motor and starter box for $95 shipped...was this a deal?

and also a tc3 electric car shaft driven for a $135 with remote reciever and no battery was this a DEAL?

2) what hop- ups do i want to start with seeing how i've never raced and just want to know what it would take to upgrade this car for a concrete coated track an maybe some asphalt?

3) also what do i need to know when I hit the track? not knowing anything about Racing RC cars.

4) your honest opinion on these 2 cars i have already purchased...actually i have another RS4 on the wayalso are these satisfactory cars for a beginner?

5) i ran this car today (RS4) and it did honestly at least 55 mph after a good tuning is this the average speed for this car?

!!!Please help this 33 yr old KID get his car running properly for his first RACE !!! NOV. 27, 2004!!!

6) I've chose a ford f-150 200mm body made by hpi is this a race type body? ( no matter what you say on this, I love my first paint job i did on this body, which i will show in the next few days)(need to borrow a camera from a friend. )

7) any racers from cleveland area that would be willing to hook up and show me a few thing
before race day?

8) Thank all of you for going through this post and helping me with these things.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:03 AM
aliens8mycow

Default RE: a noob that needs help !

Why can't I find deals like that? [sm=confused.gif]

Both of those cars are great - you'll love 'em.

I'd recommend getting to know the cars before you worry about changing anything. By the end of your first race weekend, you'll learn a lot. Talk to everyone who will talk to you - most guys love to jabber about their toys. (look how many gazillion folks are on here doing just that)

Just get out there and have a blast - assume that you'll come in last, but you're gonna learn everything that you can. If you do come in last, you'll still have more fun than you've had in a long time, and if you place better than last, even better!
Old 11-12-2004, 02:58 AM
Ghettobrick

i can hook you up with some deals ...my friend owns a little hooby store... and has really been helpful...but this was some cool advice , plus after the 27th he will become THE enemy lol ....thats why I came here for help also both the tc3 and the RS4 will sell after i abuse a lil... [:@]

what about the f-150 body?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:30 AM
redheat8

Ya Cow brings up a good point and that is get a feel for your cars first before getting all taken in with hop ups , Heck you might like your current set up , you got one heck of a deal on those cars , RED
Old 11-12-2004, 11:25 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ghettobrick
what about the f-150 body?
That depends on where you are racing
For weekend club races it's more than likely fine (up to the race director)
But for ROAR sanctioned events (big races) you'll need an approved sedan body

p.s. where you running nitro at this time of year?
Old 11-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Ghettobrick

we are running on a inside Track at the National Guard Reserve base on Green Road.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Carnutz68
My Feedback: (1)

Welcome aboard, its always great to read the excitement of someone new.
I have a TC3 ive been trying to where out for 5 years now, still works good as new.
Both cars are a great buy at that price, there good from beginner to pro so as others have said run what you have now the hop ups will come later.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Ghettobrick

Thanks alot to you all! you have already made me feel comfortable here, So here i'll stay! Im working on my pic for you guys on the F-150 body i custom painted... also any of you guys from Ohio? If so please come on the 27th contact me and we can meet there if you need directions email me ok....I woke up late today and a .15 brand new pull start awaited me that made my day as did all of you with your positive comments here! so i will keep you posted on all my knew parts and items i recieve here if thats not a problem.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:56 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

My wife is from Avon Lake,, See ya round,,,come Summer time

Good luck
Old 11-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Ghettobrick

took the car out today ( rs4) and it just stop running ...i put feul directly in carb an it started up again... what could be doing this ..is it a bad carb or clogged?
Old 11-14-2004, 07:03 PM
crazyboutrc1227
My Feedback: (5)

I have got a TC3 myself. I have upgraded it a lot and I am very satisfied with it. and if your gonna race i'd get some foam tires and upgrade the shocks and that'll be a start. what engine are you running in your RS4? i had that problem once myself, but I was just running too lean. you might want to check the heat too. just run it the leanest you can without over heating the engine.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Ghettobrick

"what engine are you running in your RS4? i had that problem once myself, but I was just running too lean. you might want to check the heat too. just run it the leanest you can without over heating the engine"

Im runnin g a .15 dont know the make of the motor ....I started the car and didnt let it run very long and i gunned it and the motor just quit.... I then put it back on the starter and i would fire back up until i put gas in carb, then it started a reved real high then stopped again ...I repeated this process and the same occurred, reved high and shut off... HELP!!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Ghettobrick

ORIGINAL: Ghettobrick

"what engine are you running in your RS4? i had that problem once myself, but I was just running too lean. you might want to check the heat too. just run it the leanest you can without over heating the engine"

Im runnin g a .15 dont know the make of the motor ....I started the car and didnt let it run very long and i gunned it and the motor just quit.... I then put it back on the starter and i would fire back up until i put gas in carb, then it started a reved real high then stopped again ...I repeated this process and the same occurred, reved high and shut off... HELP!!!!

COME ON HELP!!!!![:@]
Old 11-15-2004, 08:43 PM
crazyboutrc1227

If your car is running and it shuts off then it is still too lean. Keep a eye on the temp. The engine will shut off if it gets too hot. You might want to buy a temperature gun too. If your saying the engine is running at high rpm's, but the car isn't going anywhere, that's a whole different problem. That means that the gears are slipping. Make sure that the 4 screws holding the engine onto the chassis are tight. If the screws are not tight, then the engine could be moving out of place causing the gears to slip. If the screws are on tight, you need to take off the engine, but be very careful NOT TO STRIP THE SCREWS. Once the engine is off, you'll see the two gears (or one gear, it depends if you have a 1 or 2 speed trany) attached to the engine shaft. There will be a small screw that holds the gears onto the engine shaft. Make sure that the screw is tight, or even attached to the engine. If it is attached, just tighten it and keep an eye on it. If it fell out, then you need to buy another one at your local hobby shop or off the internet. If you keep driving the car how its running, the gears attached to the engine will slip forward off the engine's shaft, which will cause your gears to strip and wear down. Be sure to check that and remember to keep an eye on the temp.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEMG5&P=ML
This is a infrared temperature gauge made by Duratrax.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Ghettobrick

ORIGINAL: crazyboutrc1227

If your car is running and it shuts off then it is still too lean. Keep a eye on the temp. The engine will shut off if it gets too hot. You might want to buy a temperature gun too. If your saying the engine is running at high rpm's, but the car isn't going anywhere, that's a whole different problem. That means that the gears are slipping. Make sure that the 4 screws holding the engine onto the chassis are tight. If the screws are not tight, then the engine could be moving out of place causing the gears to slip. If the screws are on tight, you need to take off the engine, but be very careful NOT TO STRIP THE SCREWS. Once the engine is off, you'll see the two gears (or one gear, it depends if you have a 1 or 2 speed trany) attached to the engine shaft. There will be a small screw that holds the gears onto the engine shaft. Make sure that the screw is tight, or even attached to the engine. If it is attached, just tighten it and keep an eye on it. If it fell out, then you need to buy another one at your local hobby shop or off the internet. If you keep driving the car how its running, the gears attached to the engine will slip forward off the engine's shaft, which will cause your gears to strip and wear down. Be sure to check that and remember to keep an eye on the temp.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEMG5&P=ML
This is a infrared temperature gauge made by Duratrax.

Well I only had it running less than ten minutes...it went in full throttle and shut off... i thought it ran out of gas but i filled and tried to start again and nothing...like i said before then i put gas inside the carb and it fired right up!!! but once the gas i put in carb ran out it stopped again.[:@]
Old 11-18-2004, 11:22 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

do you have a clogged fuel filter?
Old 11-19-2004, 06:32 PM
crazyboutrc1227

Your running it too lean! Unscrew the needle a little and see if it gets better. Keep doing this until the engine is running at normal temps. Also, get a temperature gun.