Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twinstar Power

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 12:34 PM
LEI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twinstar Power

I am hot for the new Hobbico Twinstar as my first twin! Would OS 40 LA's be overkill or would I be better off with two 25s? I have read that the largest fuel tank that will fit in the nacelles is 5 oz.
Any comments or help would be appreciated.
Thanks
LEI
Old 02-12-2005, 01:36 PM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Twinstar Power

Supposedly you can order larger nacelles for the new version of the Twinstar. I had LA 40s on my first Twinstar back in '99. The engines were tricky to get tuned and run consistently together.

I replaced them with 25 FXs and never looked back. One flip and they're started and after they were broke in never had to make carb adjustments. Not quite the vertical performance but it still flew fast and could take off on one engine. RIP after an improperly charged charged battery...[&o]

Some folks have went with 32 size motors and from what I have read is a great combination also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90722.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	228351  
Old 02-13-2005, 03:07 AM
rcluver

LEI, I ordered the Hobbico Twin Star from Tower yesterday, got confirmation on in stock and being shipped. Can't wait for the 18 th. I went with LA .40's. This is my first twin also and I just wanted to make sure I had enough power. I thought about the FX .25's, but got the two LA .40's for under a hundred. TCBLIGHTNING, how did the Twin Star fly with the LA's? Were they really that hard to syncro? I have two LA 46's and after running them awhile they seem to run well, and I can hand start them with no problem. In another post the Magnum XTS .40's were recommended, but I could'nt find them anywhere. Tower shows them as discontinued. Sorry for your loss of the Twin Star TCBLIGHTNING.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LEI

I am hot for the new Hobbico Twinstar as my first twin! Would OS 40 LA's be overkill or would I be better off with two 25s? I have read that the largest fuel tank that will fit in the nacelles is 5 oz.
Any comments or help would be appreciated.
Thanks
LEI
My Twin Star (the original version) has Tower 40's. It's a rocket! Be prepared for some tuning on whatever engines you use. I'm sure that good .25's would power it well, and take less fuel than my .40's. Mine runs 7 minutes or so on the fuel available, I think they're 4 oz. tanks. A short ride, but a wild one!
Good luck,
Dave Olson

ps On a number of Tower 40's, LA's, FP's, with the airbleed idle screw.... if it won't idle & transition right even with the airbleed screw backed out... drill out the airbleed hole one number drill. You'll still have all the adjustability, but will be able to make a more lean mixture.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:50 AM
tonystro
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rcluver
TCBLIGHTNING, how did the Twin Star fly with the LA's? Were they really that hard to syncro?
rcluver,

I first flew my Twin Star last spring, with LA 40s and MA 10x6, two blade propellers. The engines had been broken in, but had very little run time about four flights each. I was able to get them to within 300 rpm of each other at both high and low throttle, using the mechanical linkage. I forget the actual rpms, but they are reported in thread 'First Twin.'
Had one engine out during first flights, adjusted each two clicks richer and went about twenty flights without further trouble. Usually 1/2 throttle for level flight, powering up for vertical portions of maneuvers and powering back for down lines. Sold the engines to a fellow flier for his Twin Star and now using Magnum 36 XLs. Slightly better acceleration, similar performance in flight.

edited to add -- Approximately eight minutes flyable time with both engine sets and orginal fuel tanks.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:43 AM
moodier

Hi;Don't worry about using the 25 had 25FP in mine and flew bueatifully.I suppose not as hot as with 40s Presntly I switched to magnum 28s but haven't tried it yet.Had them in the P-38 decided toswitch and put the 25s there don't think it needs more power again haven't flown it yet.Waiting for my new one too sounds like they may actually be getting ready to ship them.Actually my old one is still good but thought better get a spare in case they quit again.If wasn't to lazy to build that twin air sounds awful good too.Good Luck
Old 02-13-2005, 05:19 PM
mikejdad
My Feedback: (39)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have OS 32 sx in mine and a great flyer, good first twin. Good one engine performance, had one engine out only once due to being a little lean & not a problem. Pretty hot with 32s. I would go with the Magnum .32s as I have two and they are very reliable and less expensive than the OS 32s. I bougth mine used withe engines already installed. Looking real shabby now due to the shelf paper covering and plan on recoverig before summer. Have a new one on backorder and if it's that same type of covering I'll strip it before assembly which should be easier than after it's assembled. If recovering is needed, may make new wing tips, rubber top & stab ends as the plastic kit ones are a little flimsy. Good luck and enjoy. The sound of a twin is really great!
Old 02-17-2005, 05:39 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I put alot of flights on mine with twin LA40's, was a great match as you can gain altitude on one engine easily. Forget the tachs, fire up both engines, peak one, then match the other one to its sound. Has worked perfectly for me. I always flew until one engine ran out of fuel, then it was time to land it.

Very fun plane, if there was a .60 size, or gas size with retracts Id get another!
Old 02-17-2005, 05:55 PM
William Robison

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

All:

I am going to use the K&B 8330 engines on mine, they're a little lighter than the 4011s, with equal power. Weight? Here is a hot 40 engine that weighs a hair over 12 ounces. With muffler.

John:

Nothheast Aeronautics is close to release of the Duel-Air 2/60, our enlarged version of the Duellist 2/40 Mk II. It will take a pair of 91 engines. Send your money.

Bill.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:19 PM
William Robison

And incidentally, my Twinstar arrived today, the 17th. Just ordered it Monday of this week.

$110 total, including freight, from OmniModels.

Bill.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:15 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What about balance with larger engines? Did any of you guys who flew with .32's have to add any nose weight, or was moving the battery around enough? Was thinking twin Supertigre GS 40's, slightly hotter than the LA 40's but a bit more weight, but got to wondering about CG issues...

Thanks,

Andy
Old 02-17-2005, 08:45 PM
William Robison

Andy:

Get a pair of the K&B 4011 engines. Still light at 13.5 ounces, strong and long lived. They are ringed engines so longer time will be needed to run them in. I have some "Grand daddys" of the 4011s more than 40 years old, still going strong.

If you're patient and don't want to pay the already very nice price from MECoA/K&B you can watch the auction sites. I've gotten some excellent K&Bs in the $20-$30 range, even some NIB for less than $50.

Picture is an 8360 on the left, an 8330 on the right. The 8360 is the Perry pumped version, a lot more power than needed on the Twinstar. Definitely overkill.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28485.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	230818  
Old 02-19-2005, 04:34 AM
rcluver

Bill,
Mine came the 17th also, have not unpacked it, but looked at it through the plastic. Everything looks good, did not see any wrinkles or bubbles in covering. Can't wait to get started on it. Sure is a pretty plane. Will start this morning.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Thunderhead

Anyone using Evo NT 36's? That looks like a good motor. Ive read somewhere around here that they have more power and are lighter than the NT 40's. I've only had one NT engine (61) and didnt have it long enogh to get an honest opinion of it.
I ordered mine yesterday and its here today. I've been lookin and lookin at specs and $$ on all different engines.
Im still undecided. I dont want to get overkill (ie 46 AX) and ruin the plane, I've been down that road too many times, yet I dont want to go cheapy and have hind sight telling me I screwed up.
I want a screamer, but not no 8 second monster either.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:18 PM
mikejdad

If you want abundant power with six minute flights go with OS .32 SX engines. Love mine, very reliable but do cost a bit more. The Magnum .32 is also a good choice and also reliable. I've had several of them and they are good little engines. Had on my Fun Fly 51 (shouldn't have flown it in a strong crosswind) and also now have one on a little stick. No as good as the OS but very good for the price. The newer Magnum (square head) is much better than the older version.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Thunderhead

I had someone also tell me to consider the Thunder Tiger Pro 36. Its 1 oz lighter and $5 cheaper than an NT 36.
I've always had OS, and after seeing my buddys Thunder Tiger Pro 46, it did make we wonder if the extra $ I spent on my OS 46 FX was worth it. I've always had GREAT luck with OS, so Im a little reluctant to switch. You know the old saying..."If it aint broke dont fix it"? Well that how I feel by not just going with OS, but then again, I hear everyone saying that just about all engines are the same any more and how much do you want to spend.
I just know that ultimately in the end, whatever I do I'm gonna make the wrong choice. I would rather not and hear what everyone else is doing before I commit.
If this was a single engine project, it wouldnt even be an issue. But since its not a TRUE 40 size twin (ie 46 AX or FX) then it is a horse of a different color to me at this point.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:15 PM
drvcrash

i was gonna use thunder tiger .40 's pro. I already have one nib here and I can just get another. Are these way too big? I hate to buy anything smaller becuase I dont like to buy engines that are too small for most 40 size arfs and I cant reuse them as easily as wher ethe .40 will power alomst anything
Old 02-22-2005, 03:28 PM
mikejdad

Mine with 32s have all the power that's needed, very fast and will do all you want as far as power is concerned. A friend had OS 25LAs on his and it also flew well. This plane doesn't need .40s to fly well as it's not a Cap or Extra that you'll hover and do 3d manuvers with.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:31 PM
airstik2003

I have 2 fox 40s on one. and want to know if 52 4 storks too much help please
Old 02-22-2005, 08:51 PM
William Robison

38:

Limit is mainly the weight. Up to 16 ounces per engine including the muffler you'll probably be OK. But the fuel supply...

Bill.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:55 PM
airstik2003

thanks William Robison
Old 02-22-2005, 09:23 PM
2slow2matter

Not necessarily true, prop clearance is also a big issue. You'll have a hard time clearing much more than a 10 inch prop, an 11 might shoe horn in there, but that's all. With larger engines, that's not enough prop. Probably not enough for a .52 four stroke, although an 11 inch three blade might work, if it fits...I think there are about 5 1/2 inches between firewall center and fuse side, at least that's what i understand. I'll know for sure this weekend..
Old 02-22-2005, 09:42 PM
William Robison

Slow:

Zinger 10x6 or 10x8 three blade props should work very well on the 4s 52 engines.

Bill.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:57 PM
2slow2matter

Yes, it very well may. Don't know anything about the zinger props, but my .56 4s turns an 11 X 7 3 blade prop like there is no tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:05 AM
fyredog

I am aquiring a few K&B 40's now. I am aquiring perry pumps and carbs. Thats what I was planning with mine and the pnuematic retracts. Can always throttle back, what a nice high speed low pass that would make! Those K&B's are Great Motors! I think those like 9-6's or 10-6's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.