Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Hot Twin Stick ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Twin Stick ARF

Just saw this in the plane sales listing. Wondered if anyone has purchased, assembled, flown, etc. Looks good in the pictures, but seller is new (commercial ad) with no history. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2005, 01:32 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Hot Twin Stick ARF

Jet:

Mine should be here this week, Ed Moorman should get his at the same time, Ed will have a write up in RCReport, I'm supposed to do a moderate bash and report here.

Twinman has already done a thread here on it, the plane comes from Cedar Hobbies. CH isn't nearly the biggest operation around, but they aren't new either. Good people.

Cedar Hobbies is also the outfit producing the B-17 ARF that Twinman gave us a prfeliminary report on.

Bill.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting and so are my 2 old Thunder Tiger .46s. Standard servos. I don't think a Stick needs digitals. I have to quit buying those things. I think an Ultra Stick tail would look good on it, but I guess I'd better build it stock and not kill it before the twin meet.

The way Twinman talked about the vertical on his, I can't wait.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:49 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

TT 46's??????? The prototype had ASP 45's and was unreal. Neil tells me, I am out of town, the planes are in and shipping. There were some whiners about the stubby nose......so the nose is longer. It should clear my favorite 12x4 props. I whined on the roll rate and the ailerons are now larger. Others,,,including me, whined about the "Pink" color and so they are red.
Remember the warning about mixing the rudders to the engines for spins. Cut back only about 50% engine throttle reduction. I went 75% and probably hit 120 rpm in a hovering spin,,,,,,,,but seemed to suck the fuel out of the engine in reverse in the spin and killed it..twice. I recovered, but spinman did not..RIP on prototype. If you lose an engine in such a spin, go to idle. Normally, with this mix, simply reverse the rudder and the plane instantly comes out.........Try that you single guys!!!
Ultimate rudder??? I did that on my US 1000......ok so it was renamed 1002 with two ST 90's. It really helped, but this plane, as most sticks do have a large rudder. I am not sure what the instructions say, but set it for max throw, as it is not in the prop blast and single engine flight is a nonevent........and the single engine take off is possible.........another story.
Twinman
Old 03-25-2005, 03:13 PM
William Robison

Mine just walked in the door.

First impression is a nicely done plane, but don't do this one as a first ARF. The instructions are very sketchy.

On the other hand, the wing halves already have the nacelles mounted, preventing improper positioning. A good touch.

More later.

Bill.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:31 AM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine came on Friday via Brown. On the bench and hopefully flying next weekend. To many Bunny duties to do this weekend. Now the big question, what engines .... Couple Magnum 52's are in the lead.

As stated before, first impression is good. All major assemblies. wrapped in plastic and attached to the inside of the box to keep from moving around. Covering is good, no wrinkles so far. Large bag of !QUOT!stuff!QUOT! and in the instructions it states all screws, nuts and bolts are metric

Jim Ogorek
Old 03-26-2005, 06:01 PM
twinman

Jim.
Uh are you talking about Magnum 52 four strokes???. If two stroke..uh you are crazier than me!!
Prototype was a blast with ASP 45's. Single engine is a no brainer and unlimited aerobatics.
Twinman
Old 03-27-2005, 09:21 AM
JimO

Yep 4 strokers it is. That is all I fly. Should be a blast. I can throttle back and fly but nice to have the "power" if I want it. Also helped to have a couple sitting on the shelf. Don't ask why. I do have a concern that they might be to much and thought about the new Saito 40's.

With all things in order I should be able to maiden fligth next weekend. Still thinking about flaps. Have the Ultra Stick set up with flaps and what a hoot when you hit the crow switch, stops in midflight and hovers. Spot landings not a problem.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Jim
Old 03-27-2005, 03:34 PM
twinman

Ok, I am breathing easier. The plane, like all sticks is not a speed demon. It does land slowly without flaps. but I did have an Ultra stick and the crow was neat. This version, I have not flown as the ailerons are larger for better roll rate and the nose is longer to Bug William Robison....Tee Hee......Ok, others wanted the longer nose. I would strongly suggest the 12x4 props for maximum hover and max rudder throw. The rudder is near enough to the prop blast to be very effective. At the suggested and tested balance point on the main spar, I could not get it to flat spin until I mixed the engines to the rudder. Note the warning I gave in the review post about the engine in reverse dying. I still think this is due to this engine going backwards in the spin so fast that the fuel flows away from the engine. In this type of spin, to get out, simply reverse the rudder and the engines reverse thrust. If reversing the rudder does not get you out of this spin. GO TO IDLE NOW!!!. It will fall out, gain speed and power up slowly on the remaining engine.
Note,,,,until you get a feel for the plane...DO NOT DO this mix. The plane flies great as it,,,,but Niel at Cedar said "Test it". OK.
You will also find tail weight needed and worse with the large four strokes due to wieght.
Keep us posted how the new one flies.
Twinman
Old 03-27-2005, 04:38 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything to bug W-Robinson is a good thing...
the nose is longer to Bug William Robison....
[font="Tahoma

'"]Rather than adding weight to balance can ele or/and
rudder servo be moved to rear of fuse <if not there already>...?
[/font]
Old 03-27-2005, 04:59 PM
William Robison

Robby:

Sideways, Robby. For those of you who don't know, sideways includes the horse he rode in on. Haw.

Th fuselage box is high enough just forward of the rudder to mount two servos, one over the other with their tops coming out either the same or opposite sides.

The nose block that came in mine is slightly rounder than this picture, but appears to be the same length. The aileron servo mounts are different in the supplied wing though.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17737.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	250039  
Old 03-27-2005, 06:49 PM
twinman

Bill,
With the longer (And good looking pointed nose) is there still clearance for 12 props?
Twinman.
I note that your model has no covering....do I infer that we are to be treated to a killer ( Tacky in the dictionary may apply here!)covering job?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:03 PM
JimO

I like the long nose, reminds me of the original Twin Stick. I fly off of grass so will switch wheels to a larger size which will give me additional ground clearence. As for weight in the tail, should not be a problem, will think about moving the servo's but a little weight under the tail is not a problem either. I have it on my Ultra Stick 40 which has a 65 Saito on it.

Plan is to go slow on the aerobatics till I get a feel for how she handles. If she flies like the single sticks should be a blast. As for the flaps, just remembered, I can add flaparons via the radio if I really want them. Now if the weather will just turn ot spring here in NJ.

Jim
Old 03-27-2005, 07:08 PM
twinman

Jim.
You will not need the flaps and YES, do not go to crazy areas without getting used to it. Do consider elevons with a switch to turn off. Really tight turns. You need to turn off if you are landing in any wind as the plane or any plane will ballon upon flair.
Incidently "Elevons" is a mix so that if you input up elevator both ailerons go down to increase lift.
Again, I have not flown the new version with the larger ailerons. The prototype had 3/4 inch full length ailerons and the roll rate was not up to "full fun" standard.
Twinman
Old 03-27-2005, 07:18 PM
JimO

More to add to the gray matter. Will have to write a book and add all this input into it. I had thought about Elevons, my plan is to set it up as it comes, after a few flights and all the ah's and oohh's from fellow flyers, will play with settings. Aren't computer radios great.

All the assemblies are laid out, read the instruction book twice, just need to got to the LHS for Y cords.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:45 PM
William Robison

TwinGeorgeMan:

As I said in an earlier post, the nose isn't any amount longer, it's just more rounded instead of flat sided. The picture is one you sent me, of the original plane. Sorry, no fancy covering scheme on mine, either exotic or tacky.

The propellor disc is still about even with the forward tip of the nose, plenty of room for 12" or even 14" props.

The balance problem can be eased by moving the main gear back, as delivered it's in front of the wing LE. On grass you might want to keep it there, for a paved runway it can go aft about 3" total.

The ailerons are 2 1/8" chord on mine. Not quite "Fun fly," but a lot better than the 3/4" yours had. Should be more than enough.

Bill.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:54 PM
JimO

Any thoughts on making this a trike. More weight in the front but off set by moving the mains rearward. ThHe nose is off already, little beefing up, add the gear block. Was also thinking of using 3 bladed props, little more clearence.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:09 PM
William Robison

Jim:

With the nose piece as a separate part adding a ply bulkhead for a nose strut would be trivial. Putting reinforcement further back in the fuselage for the mains might be a bother though. The radio/servo tray is in the way, the former at the front of the tray doesn't have a large enough hole in it to insert a full size doubler. Looks like it would take major rework to mount the mains in the nacelles, the only "Hard points" there are the firewalls.

Bill.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:23 PM
JimO

You could open the underside of the fuse and add the additional ply needed for the mains. Add some triangle stock to the sides and button back up. Thoughts for the future. I have an extra Fuse for a Ultra stick, might have to do a little surgery on that and see how it works out. Maybe Cedar could look into this and add as an option for future designs. Give you the option of how you want to set it up.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:12 PM
scalebldr

Hello All,
I have one of this on the way and with the recomended props have decided to use a pair of k&b 45 sportsters(no laughing please).I like the spoerster engines even tough alot do not.no bearings to rust,liegter weight been using k&b since the 60's greenhead series.any way may not be as fast as others butshould be fast enough and have enough for me.will try a trike conversion using torsion type music wire gear as mains aka goldberg falcon 56 setup.should be easier than modifing for use with the aluminum gear that is suppled.personnally do not like aluminum type gear on grass fields as they seem to bend or rip the mounts out of the fuse where the torrzion type do not.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:48 AM
JimO

Good idea on the Torsion landing gear, hadn't thought of that. Had hoped to make a madien flight this weekend, heavy rain predicted. Wonder how it would fly with floats?

K&B an old company, and my thoughts are if it works for you fine.

Jim

Old 04-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: twinman

Jim.
You will not need the flaps and YES, do not go to crazy areas without getting used to it. Do consider elevons with a switch to turn off. Really tight turns. You need to turn off if you are landing in any wind as the plane or any plane will ballon upon flair.
Incidently "Elevons" is a mix so that if you input up elevator both ailerons go down to increase lift.
Again, I have not flown the new version with the larger ailerons. The prototype had 3/4 inch full length ailerons and the roll rate was not up to "full fun" standard.
Twinman
I beg to differ - you are describing elevator>flap mixing, where up elevator gives down flaps. Elevons are when the elevators move with the ailerons (FAST rolls) or, in the case of a "tailless" aircraft, the elevators work as ailerons (Bill Evans' Simitar series).
Old 04-04-2005, 08:46 PM
twinman

Stikum
OK, so what do you can it when the elevator goes up and the AILERONS go down?
This thing does not have flaps.
Whatever that is, is what I use and was refering to.
Twinman
Old 04-05-2005, 11:25 AM
scalebldr

may need a new term .flaperons are when airlerons are used as flaps but will still function as airlerons seems you are mixing flaperons with elevator the way contoline stunt ships had flaps tied into the elevator to get the square corners in the manuvers.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:51 PM
twinman

scalebldr
Yeah...that one...whatever it is called. It does increase elevator response and has on some of my "experiments" reduced snap rolls in tight loops. One thing is that in wind, turn it off for landing or plane will balloon. With the increase in aileron size on the production units, it may not be necessary or at least turned down.
"Someone" try it on their twin stick and let us know. NOT MY PLANE!!!.........yet!!!!
Twinman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.