Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dual Recievers????

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 06:41 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dual Recievers????

My son is building a giant scale and is wanting some info on how the dual recievers work and how they are hooked up in the plane. Any info would be great. Thanks Dave
Old 06-06-2005, 07:13 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dual Recievers????

This was popular a few years ago, but I think more current thinking is that one good receiver is OK. If you go this way, each receiver has its own battery and switch. Route the antennas apart from each other. Put the left aileron, left elevator and throttle on one receiver. Put the other stuff on the other receiver (rudder, right aileron, right elevator). The theory is that if one receiver fails, you can still land in one piece.
My thinking is that you double your chance of having some problem, but the problem is less severe. I prefer to put all my eggs in one basket...and guard the hell out of this basket.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:38 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I go with:

#1: Left Ail, Right Ele, Throttle
#2: Right Ail, Left Ele, Rudder, Choke

I also put a jumper between the two RXs, pos and neg wires only, that has a 5-7 Amp fuse in it (mini auto fuse holder from RadioShack). It allows you to keep the whole plane should a battery or switch fail. Additionally, if something shorts or a servo binds, the fuse will blow and you will keep half the plane... you would lose the entire plane with the single RX setup. If you use a jumper and you are using LiIon w/ regs, the regs must be matched to within about .01V. You can easily do this with the Fromeco regs... they're adjustable.

Cheers and good luck.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:48 AM
jsm77777
My Feedback: (4)

I use dual receivers in all my 40% planes. I use 2 switches and batteries. Just divide the plane in half, and run the right side on the right receiver, and the left side on the left receiver. You can criss cross if you want, but I keep it simple with just dividing the plane in half. Some people argue you only need one receiver, but I still use 2, and never had a problem, or any issue with reduced range. As a matter of fact, last week I was flying with a friend who used one receiver, and now he has switched to my set-up, and is using 2. It works great, and lessens the load on the receivers, lets more power get to the servo's, and provides redundancy. Use top quality batteries and switches, and I reccomend Fromeco products. Scott
Old 06-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Leardriver
My Feedback: (12)

My $8500 Yak would have been in garbage bags a few weeks back if I only had one receiver. I initially thought the problem was a bad matchbox but it turned out to be a bad receiver...this after 70+ flights. I lost half the elevator and almost did a figure nine! Not a warm and fuzzy feeling. Approach and landing was a none event with only one elevator working..although it obviously "felt" mushy. Use two...it's a no brainer.

Learpilot
Old 06-09-2005, 08:00 AM
whidbey1
My Feedback: (9)

When you run dual receivers, do you run the antenna's out different sides of the plane, or can they go out the same exit?

Bill
Old 06-09-2005, 09:44 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Leardriver
I initially thought the problem was a bad matchbox but it turned out to be a bad receiver...this after 70+ flights.
How did you determine this? Did the RX die completely? What was the failure mode??
Old 06-09-2005, 10:20 AM
sillyness

The antennae must be seperated as much as possible, preferably at 90 degree angles to each other, but ths is rarely practical. I general run one out the bottom of the plane and tape it to the bottom of the fuse, and I run the second up against the inside top of the turtle deck. Never had range issues this way.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:32 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Dave,

The one thing you failed to mention and everyone else failed to ask is HOW BIG IS THIS PLANE?....
In my personal opinion, the H9 33% or any other 30% and smaller airplanes are perfectly fine on a single RX. Typically, I only use 2 RXs in 40% planes, but have used 2 in some 35%. It also depends on how you are setting it up. If you are using a higher number of servos, this can help split up the load on the RXs.

Again, my personal opinion, Redundancy is more important in batteries and switches than it is in RXs. MOST failures are batteries and switches. It is easy to connect to batteries to one RX and greatly reduce the chances of aircraft loss due to a bad switch or battery. This is how I set up my smaller planes.....33 to 35%
Old 06-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Arthur K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi david I have a 40% yak on dual receavers I use two bataries and two swiches the plane is split between them 1 servo from left Ail and one servo from right is in one
one servo from the ruder and one elevator is also in this one the balance is on the second

this way if one system fails the second will fly the airplane to safty
make sure you are useing PCM this way if You have a fialer it will not locck up the servos and the second will take controll
You can also split the throtle by puting a stack of two smaler servos and that way you are good for full controll
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70549.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	282628  
Old 06-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Peter G.

Hi everyone.

I have a question. Someone told me I can run two receivers and use a "Y" harness to each servo. Has anyone done this?

I have a Ziroli B25 that I am ready to put a receiver in, I was originally going to run one receiver with two batteries and two switches, now I am not so sure. At last count I will be running 11 servo's with some giant high torque servo's using lots of juice.

Last weekend I took out my something extra and have never had problems with it. Long story short, I had one small glitch in the air even after a good ground check, so I thought I should bring it in. On approach she started glitching like crazy and all control was lost, engine was even surging up and down. On crash examination everthing was working fine. Tore the nose of her though. I have since repaired it and have flown it several times, I had changed the switch but thats it.

So now I am real apprehensive about running one receiver on this bird. It does not have a split elevator, so if set up the way that is being discussed in this post, I would be screwed if the receiver that controls the elevator craps out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks[img][/img] Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32294.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	282747  
Old 06-09-2005, 05:13 PM
sillyness

Hi david I have a 40% yak on dual receavers I use two bataries and two swiches the plane is split between them 1 servo from left Ail and one servo from right is in one
one servo from the ruder and one elevator is also in this one the balance is on the second

this way if one system fails the second will fly the airplane to safty
make sure you are useing PCM this way if You have a fialer it will not locck up the servos and the second will take controll
You can also split the throtle by puting a stack of two smaler servos and that way you are good for full controll
This is not good. Never combine RXs on a single surface... for example... never put Servo #1 from the right aileron and on RX #1 and Servo #2 from the right aileron on RX #2. Reason: If a servo locks up, as some brands seem prone to, it will, at best, burn out the other servo. At worst, it will drain the other battery and take down the whole plane with it. Even worse... one RX goes into failsafe for some reason. The good RX will be trying to move surfaces that the bad RX is holding at center. You'll burn out all your servos and drain all your batteries. This is really bad on super rigid setup like the rudder... unless you have something like the SWB failsafe tray... then I'd put a servo on each RX. Never on ailerons though. You COULD split your ailerons in two and actually have 2 surfaces on each wing programmed to move together.

So now I am real apprehensive about running one receiver on this bird. It does not have a split elevator, so if set up the way that is being discussed in this post, I would be screwed if the receiver that controls the elevator craps out.
Or if you elevator servo craps. Double jeapordy.
I have a question. Someone told me I can run two receivers and use a "Y" harness to each servo. Has anyone done this?
Who told you this? I'd ask them if they're actually doing it. You CANNOT combine the signal lines of 2 RXs into a Y. You CAN combine the + and - lines of 2 RXs, and I do. Like I mentioned before, I have a fused jumper between my 2 RXs.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Leardriver
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: aresti2004

ORIGINAL: Leardriver
I initially thought the problem was a bad matchbox but it turned out to be a bad receiver...this after 70+ flights.
How did you determine this? Did the RX die completely? What was the failure mode??

I initially could not reproduce the problem at all. After I landed I killed the engine and walked out to get the plane. It was very obvious one of the elevators was not working..it just sat there with no power/signal to it......I was able to move it like the power was turned off. As I'm dragging the thing back to pit area all of a sudden the elevator "sprang" back to life and we could not get it to fail again no matter what we did. The general consensus was matchbox because that seemed like the most likely point of failure (yes all the connections were checked). I had Smart-Fly equalizers in the stabs so when I got home I made up 2 new extensions and ripped out the matchboxes from the plane. Since I had two unused channels available I simple mixed all four servos using the Elevator as a master. After I finished matching and mixing everything I was sitting behind the plane double checking things when "Whamo" the damn thing failed right in front of me AGAIN. And just as mysteriously it started working again and I could not get it to fail on cue! It was like there was a damn Gremlin in my plane! I decided to get another receiver to have handy to start swapping things out. I left the radio on and when I came back everything on the right receiver had failed! This was new....previously it had only been the elevator half plugged into that particular receiver. I swapped out the receiver and everything worked fine ....swapped back to the original rx and it was intermittent at best. I than swapped out the crystal with no better result. Next I plugged everything into the "other" receiver in the plane (the left one) and everything worked perfectly. One final swap back to the right rx had the same results as before. It was definitely the receiver. There was approx 75 flights on the plane when this happened by the way.

Here is the crazy thing. 20 flights later (with a brand new receiver on the right) the left receiver up and died at Joe Nall this year!! It is freaky that that would happen. These two receivers were in a crash (a deadstick landing that didn't make the runway) but went back to Radio South for "inspection". They came back with a clean bill of health (the crystals were replaced as a precaution)..plus a $50 bill! Anyway...another new receiver has been installed and another 20 or so uneventful flights have been put on the plane. OH yes......both rx are wrapped in foam to isolate as much vibration as possible

I was really beginning to suspect the voltage regulators on the powerbox but I have checked it and it is exactly 5.9 volts as advertised so it appears as though it is just a very strange coincidence....time will tell. I have not sent the bad rceivers back yet but I will prob this coming week. The bottom line here is that this plane has been landed TWICE with one rx working and one not. It is not a switch or a bad battery either....it was a bad rx both times! I simply can't see running only rx because not only would I have destroyed one giant scale plane....guess where the other rx would have been....in my brand new Super Xtra! Yup......about $14,000 worth of little pieces of composite confetti would have been my reward for a single receiver setup.

leardriver