Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Mini camera wanted for microheli.Any ideas?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Mini camera wanted for microheli.Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 06:41 PM
lineman55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini camera wanted for microheli.Any ideas?

Hey everyone,
I have seen alot of different mini-cameras ..but has anyone found a half way decent video camera that our micro choppers can carry without to much trouble?
Hopefully that runs off out existing battery and not adding a 9v to it.
Appreciate any links of ideas!!
James[8D]
Old 04-24-2004, 03:00 AM
murcielago

Default RE: Mini camera wanted for microheli.Any ideas?

James - I used one of these [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34063&item=3188533 231&rd=1]wireless cameras[/link] that I bought from ebay. It works well using a 9v battery or if you feed it with the heli's pack. Problems I encountered: if you use the heli's power source and you have a brushed motor you'll always have interferance...not the case with a brushless motor. The picture quaility isn't to Hollywood standards, but it's pretty nice for the money. It is a bit slow reacting to light changes though.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:20 PM
pgv

Default RE: Mini camera wanted for microheli.Any ideas?

The best place I have ever found for tiny cameras is [link=http://supercircuits.com]supercircuits[/link]. They're not cheap, but you can get all-in one (camera and transmitter) cameras like [link=http://www.supercircuits.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=AVX900S4&variation=&aitem=1&mi tem=6]this one[/link], that weigh less than an ounce (minus battery). I've used several for 'boxcar cams' on model railroads, and the videos you get are not to be believed.

If I can ever get my aerohawk off the ground, I plan on trying to fly a wireless camera. With a lithium polymer battery instead of a massive 9v transistor battery, it easily should be light enough.

One funky thing about these cameras - the white balancing is very, very touchy. In scenes (like my railroad application) where there's not much sky in the picture this is no problem, but I'm thinking that if you want to try to fly one, you should probably aim it so the horizon is very high in the frame, if not straight down. PV