Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twin star

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Ledet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin star

Witch engines do you think would be better for a Twin star. 2 Saito 30's or 2 Saito 40's?
Old 08-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Twin star

Use the 40 size engines. You can always throttle back and fly around at 1/2 throttle.

You can put 3-blade props on a 40 engine for clearence. It reduces the thrust a bit, but the 3-blade props look cool on this plane.

I have one with a couple 46FX engines. I'm running 9X6 3-blade props on them with stock mufflers. I'm turning about 12,800RPM with 5% Omega.

Plane is kinda heavy IMO. Mine weighs almost 7 pounds.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:09 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ledet:

The FA-30 engines will give you a nice flying plane that will give both good flights and good endurance with the stock tanks.

If you want the plane to be sportier, with much better vertical, go for the FA-40 engines. Flights will be a little shorter though.

My pick of the two would be the FA-40 power.

Bill.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Shadow-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I have a Twinstar with OS 26 four strokes on it. I put one flight on it several weeks ago and then finally got out last week and put several flights on it. The 26's have 10X6 props and tacked at about 9800 rpm. I fly off a concrete runway and the plane needs to pick up some speed before it will lift off. I am sure with 40s it will leap right off. I am not sure how well engines as small as I have would pull it off the grass.

Once in the air the plane moves right along and has more than enough power to do big loops, rolls and fly inverted. It’s a pretty tough little plane. Had one engine out landing and ran it into a fence. All it did was knock some paint off the nose cone. The plane was controllable and kept flying with one engine. I just didn't turn back to the field soon enough and lost flying speed. I'm getting more confidence in it and myself. It is a fun plane to fly. Sure sounds great with those two four strokes running together.

Randy
Old 08-23-2005, 07:47 AM
echobot

I have the Twinstar with GMS .32's on it. The plane has plenty of power and we clocked it at 89 MPH with a radar gun at level flight.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:05 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

I just finished my Twinstar and flew it for the first time last Sunday. It has two OS 25fp's 9x4 props. Plenty of power, although not a rocket. I think it was powered adequately and since it has only 4 Oz. tanks the 25's will keep you flying for a little longer. I was very impressed with the airplanes performance. I needed to add some tail weight to balance the airplane with the 25's so I would guess that you would need considerable weight added with the 40's.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:37 AM
dioncuda

I have thunder tiger .42 gp on mine.
I did not have to add any weight at all to balance it.
I also like the way it flys.Great plane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87799.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	314399  
Old 08-24-2005, 07:02 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone tried electric on this plane?Seems to be lite enough?Using Mag 28s on one work good plenty of power but have another not built but don't know that much about electric to know what components would need?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:06 AM
chiefjcw

I have Thunder Tiger 25's on my Twinstar. Performance is good. It loops, rolls, and flies inverted. Not a real speed demon but still lands little hot. I have put about 30 flights on the plane and the engines tune to within about 200 to 300 rpm. My right engine is the weakest one. MUST use a tach on the engines.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Ledet

Sorry about the delay of this responds I was occupied with the hurricane. I presently have GMS .32s on it and was wondering how 4 strokes would work on it or if I would be better with the 2 strokes. I like 4 strokes and have several of them but have never run the small ones like the .40 or the .30. Thank you all for your opinion.