Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Will I get sick?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Will I get sick?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 05:16 PM
redwulf0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I get sick?

I have my workshop in my room and work on my planes there. I sand fiberglass and wood. I also sleep there. Is this dangerous?
Old 05-16-2003, 05:42 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Will I get sick?

Sounds like heaven to me.

It depends on how much you put into all of the hazardous material stuff. Of course there are some chemicals that aren't good for you, but as long as you open a window now and them, personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Then again, some people would.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:09 PM
SaviCatses

Default Will I get sick?

Might be very dangerous - balsa or fiberglass dust all over the room's furniture may anger wives, girlfriends, parents or other people living with you.

But aside from that, I'd dust the room more often, or like was said, open the window during and a good period after sanding.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:59 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Will I get sick?

Buy a window fan and do all your sanding in front of it (blowing out of course). All the airborne particles will be sucked out the window and you can vacuum up the heavier stuff.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:00 AM
Noah-Moore

Default Will I get sick?

I agree with what's been said here. My workshop is in my room as well. Just be careful. I did have a bad experience once: I had just stayed up late glueing the entire set of wing ribs to the spar and I was using ZAP. I then went to sleep. When I woke up in the morning my head was POUNDING! . At this point I realized just how dangerous some of the materials we use in our hobby are. Just think about it, I might have NOT woken up! From then on I always do these stages either in the mid-day to give the fumes a chance to dissipate or preferably outside. Take my advice; use caution and common sense and you'll be fine.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:01 AM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Default Will I get sick?

For goodness sake make your bed before sanding balsa or especially glass in your bed room. Those glass fibers are nasty and will make you itch all night.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:28 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will I get sick?

Will you get sick there?
YES!
VENTILATE the area, especially in winter and summer to let the fumes disipate.
Aviod using CA glue with no airflow.
Since you asked the question, you realize there can be a problem, and there WILL be if you don't prepare the area properly.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:50 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default Will I get sick?

fiberglass is glass, powdered fiberglass is glass and you ask if it's safe to be sleeping in the same room where you sanded it??? Bet your bippy it's hazardous to your health!!!!! think about breathing in all that glass dust and what it's doing to your lungs, ventilate that room and do it good!!!
Old 05-17-2003, 04:02 AM
redwulf0

Default Sick

I guess sanding glass is a bad idea but balsa wood can't be that bad can it? I don't use CA much so its not really a problem for me anyway.

Tom
Old 05-17-2003, 04:16 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default Will I get sick?

Even balsa wood can be bad. Get your self a sanding mask and after a good amount of sanding take a good look at it and you will see a lot of dust that it stopped from going into your lungs. A lot of people don't think about this but over a period of time think about how much of that you have inhaled.
Old 05-17-2003, 04:24 AM
den1tjb

Default Will I get sick?

More than anything, watch out for the fumes. Last year when I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, they really couldn't give me a cause for it. After a little research on my own, I found something that said model glues could be a cause. It didn't go into depth about what types, but it just said model glue. I don't mean to scare you or tell you it is unavoidable, but I would never recommend being around any of those fumes all the time, like sleeping in the same room.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:33 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Balsa Dust

Even balsa wood can be bad. Get your self a sanding mask and after a good amount of sanding take a good look at it and you will see a lot of dust that it stopped from going into your lungs. A lot of people don't think about this but over a period of time think about how much of that you have inhaled.

As a teen I did a lot of model building in my bed room and all the sanding with little attention to self preservation. I used to revell at the 1/8 inch of balsa dust on everything. Now in my late 40's a lifetime of modeling and breathing balsa dust has made me sensitive to balsa dust. I now use a cheap dust mask, sand outside when I can. I also installed a air filtration system in my work shop.
It isn't bad. I have never seen a professional about my problem but I know enough to recoginise the symptoms and take corrective actions.
Use your head, take precautions.
Sparky
Old 05-18-2003, 12:39 PM
nascarfan88

Default Will I get sick?

Hey guys,

Where I work we are exposed to almost any types of chemicals as well as sanding dust from metal, carbon fiber, fiberglass, etc.
We use the MSDS system extensively. Almost anything is bad for you. Even alcohol! I've learned to use a lot of ventilation when doing anything with my hobby as well as using surgical gloves when handling stuff like epoxy, resins, paints. Alot of this stuff can not only be injested when you breath but also soaked into the skin. Really is a good idea to take extra precautions, even wood dust.

Play safe!
Old 05-18-2003, 12:46 PM
nascarfan88

Default Will I get sick?

MSDS stands for Material Safety Data Sheets. You can find them on the internet just do a search for MSDS. Any company that uses chemicals, etc. must have them on hand for their workers to use. Cornell Univ has a data base that can be accessed from the internet. Most let you search by either product or manufacturers name.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:45 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default MSDS

The MSDS will also recomend what PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) to use while handling the product. Respirators, gloves, goggles, etc. and ventilation requirements.