Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Need Rudder Control Horn Help

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Need Rudder Control Horn Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 03:17 PM
BHunn3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Rudder Control Horn Help

Well, I really did a boo boo. I covered the rudder on a 35% plane I purchased partially built before I remembered to see if a hardpoint had been built into the rudder. It had not, just sheeted foam. So know I am looking for some ideas on how to mount a control horn for the rudder pull-pull.

I have never done it, but I am thinking the best thing to do is just cut a notch and epoxy in one of the SWB wood blocked double arms and then clean up the covering. Does anyone have a better idea on a method less invasive. thank you.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:30 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: Need Rudder Control Horn Help

On a large plane like that you are best just doing the surgery... You probably have 2 servos driving the rudder ... maybe 1 8611? You want a good hard point that spreads the load rather than concentrating it on a small 1/2" hard point.

The least invasive way is to find the nelson or carbon fiber "double truss" horn and fabricate a wood block to support it. You could precover / paint the wood block / horn combo and then you simply notch out the area in the rudder carefully to install the new assembly. The whole assembly might take up a 1x1" notch, pretty minimal. Here is a link to an example.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2489826

The other option is to take a 2" hole saw, and "core out" two 3/32" plywood circular pieces. Sand them perfectly round (they will be about 1 3/4 by the time you are done) and then carefully cut the sheeting around them... epoxy in and you are done. The circular inserts could be precovered so the impact would be minimal.

Then again.. I can do a flawless rudder recover in 30 minutes so I would just strip it and make it perfect....

DP
Old 01-25-2005, 05:55 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: desertpig
The other option is to take a 2" hole saw, and "core out" two 3/32" plywood circular pieces. Sand them perfectly round (they will be about 1 3/4 by the time you are done) and then carefully cut the sheeting around them... epoxy in and you are done. The circular inserts could be precovered so the impact would be minimal.
Might I suggest a hard wood dowel sandwiched between the ply doublers as well....

ORIGINAL: desertpig

Then again.. I can do a flawless rudder recover in 30 minutes so I would just strip it and make it perfect....
You're hired....
Old 01-26-2005, 03:41 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Michael- Good point.. !

BHunn - I forgot to mention you NEED to put a 1/2 - 3/4 " round hardwood dowel in between the ply hardpoints.. if you don't the "sandwich" might collapse under pressure... it is critical that you do this! Best to use "gorrilla glue" to secure it all too.. epoxy will work, but it is heavy and won't penetrate the foam as well.

MG - about covering... I can cover faster than I can strip covering.. got that practice by taking a lot of ugly, boring ARFs, going through them, lightening / rebuilding them and then recovering with unique custom schemes so at least they fly nice and have personality to boot. That got my skills to where they are now..

Its a lot easier to cover kits that I build though!

I covered my entire 31% CA kit in 3 days working only a few hours a day. Yuri Higuchi I am not, but I hold my own!

It will take me a week a few hours a day to cover a Carden. I covered a set of Carden 35% wings in one hour recenlty for a friend.. only two colors but it turned out very nice!

Don't think I want to do it for a living though!
DP