Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ES Composite Pipe on G-62?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:05 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ES Composite Pipe on G-62?

Has anyone run the ES Composites (Ed Skorepa) 50cc pipe on a G-62? Any idea how it compares to the Mas'c Products 60cc pipe?

I'm wondering because the Mac's pipe is not a stock item and may or may not be available when I need one, due to material availability issues. The Mac's pipe is also just about double the weight (9.2oz versus 4.7oz) and is only slightly cheaper ($235.95 versus $250).

Any experiences with the ES pipes regarding longevity, tuning, customer support? Ed has a superlative reputation with the pattern crowd, but gassers are a different animal compared to glow 2 strokes.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-08-2007, 01:53 PM
arobatx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ES Composite Pipe on G-62?

Try www.toni-clark.com .....the exchange rate isn't horrible, and you end up paying about the same for a nice pipe over here. They've got some nice header/pipe stuff for the Zenoahs over there.

that would be cool if the ES would run on the 62 though. Nice and light Hopefully someone speaks up.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:03 PM
mmattockx

Thanks, I'll check that out, too.

I can't imagine the ES pipe will be a problem, Ed has a great reputation for his stuff. But I would like to know a bit more about the carbon versus aluminum pipe for day to day use and long term reliability. I like saving almost 5oz, but not at the cost of having to replace the pipe every year...

Mark
Old 02-08-2007, 03:11 PM
arobatx

I was talking with a friend flying competitive pattern, and i commented that lots of pattern guys must fly the carbon pipes, and he said quite the opposite, that Hatori is the clear and present existence in pattern competition pipes. I didn't have a chance to ask why that is, if it was a durability issue, or anything else...
Old 02-08-2007, 03:48 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: arobatx

I was talking with a friend flying competitive pattern, and i commented that lots of pattern guys must fly the carbon pipes, and he said quite the opposite, that Hatori is the clear and present existence in pattern competition pipes. I didn't have a chance to ask why that is, if it was a durability issue, or anything else...

I think that is because the majority fly 4 strokes now and Hatori are the dominant pipe maker for them, especially the YS engines. The 2 stroke guys seem to use the ES or Aeroslave pipes a lot, but there aren't many 2 strokes in comparision.

ES is also a small producer compared to Hatori and so there aren't as many of their pipes around in general.

Maybe I will ask in the Pattern forum about carbon pipe longevity and see what they have to offer.

Mark
Old 02-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Save yourself $250 and just do some mild work to the engine.

Drop the cylinder down to .020" squishband and then raise the exhaust port back up the same amount that you took off the bottom of the cylinder.

Instant power boost for next to nothing in machining costs.

Raise the exhaust back up to the stock duration and then push it a little bit further. Increase your exhaust duration beyond stock and then you better hold on to your hat fellas. These things SCREAM if you just "massage" them a bit.

No need to drop so much cash to get the performance you desire. Send it to RCIGN1 for a diet and then have someone slap the jug on a lathe to turn it down a few thousandths for an increase in compression. Get out the angle grinder and a tungston carbide bit and start raising your exhaust port.

I don't know if RCIGN1 will do portwork or turn down cylinders, but you can always ask.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:20 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Save yourself $250 and just do some mild work to the engine.

Drop the cylinder down to .020" squishband and then raise the exhaust port back up the same amount that you took off the bottom of the cylinder.

Instant power boost for next to nothing in machining costs.

Raise the exhaust back up to the stock duration and then push it a little bit further. Increase your exhaust duration beyond stock and then you better hold on to your hat fellas. These things SCREAM if you just "massage" them a bit.

No need to drop so much cash to get the performance you desire. Send it to RCIGN1 for a diet and then have someone slap the jug on a lathe to turn it down a few thousandths for an increase in compression. Get out the angle grinder and a tungston carbide bit and start raising your exhaust port.

I don't know if RCIGN1 will do portwork or turn down cylinders, but you can always ask.
Hey Rcpilet,

I sent you a PM about your pipe experiences with the G-62 earlier today.

Before I will start tweaking the squish, I would like to have the opportunity to measure it and see where I am starting from. I do plan to buy the thin gasket set from DDM for the tighter squish clearance it gives. My G-62 is currently with Ralph for his ultra light treatment and EI conversion, I am just planning ahead. I will ask Ralph about measuring the squish clearance for me while he is converting it. If he will tweak it to perfection, even better. Ralph, are you listening?

How much do you raise the port beyond stock? In duration preferably, in case production tolerances have stacked up in a bad direction...Otherwise a mm or inch dimension will do it. I have tweaked 2 stroke motocycle cylinders, so this is not a major thing for me to take on.

Compared to the pipe, how much do you gain with the proper squish and raised exhaust port? Any more info on mild porting I can do or other tweaks to really let this thing rip?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mark:
I typed out a loooooooooong response to your PM and then lost it when I went to send it. Darn server. [:@]

I think you need to keep your exhaust duration 160 degrees or your idle and midrange will go to hell.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:27 PM
pizza
My Feedback: (24)

been flyin ed's carbon fiber 50 gas tuned pipes on my da100 for a year now, over 100 flights no problems. I have not made a single adjustment. since they are very light they don't flop around, pull or push or twist - just stay in place. 7620rpm on mezlic 26x10 @ 4200' is not for the faint of heart. throttle is very linear spools up quick and pulls hard/constant untill you let off. no sagging or unloading. since carbon deflects heat instead of absorb and radiate like alum -throttle is predictable and steady at any setting. you can almost hold on to pipes while engine is running - no heat inside fuse. no noise comin from tail very quiet. headers couplers clamps and pipes weigh less than stock deflector type mufflers. $500 for two is a cheep price since they are indestructable no complicated internal parts or rivets to fail. not sure if they will work on 62 ask ed. I don't profit from these pipes - ed makes me pay full price and buy him a pizza also. if you want to overload the engine with a 27x10 or 28x10 or 3 blade props you will have to lengthen header or have ed move the first power baffle farther aft in main pipe body to get max power. best is to test rpm on stand with diff header lengths before you put into plane. boy it sure is nice not to even think about the exhaust system anymore.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73315.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	616814  
Old 02-08-2007, 10:15 PM
ryan@ddm

ORIGINAL: mmattockx
Before I will start tweaking the squish, I would like to have the opportunity to measure it and see where I am starting from. I do plan to buy the thin gasket set from DDM for the tighter squish clearance it gives. My G-62 is currently with Ralph for his ultra light treatment and EI conversion, I am just planning ahead. I will ask Ralph about measuring the squish clearance for me while he is converting it. If he will tweak it to perfection, even better. Ralph, are you listening?
Have a look here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4996759
seems that the squish on a new G62 was around .036"
Old 02-09-2007, 10:51 AM
mmattockx

Ryan,

I have that thread bookmarked, actually. That was one engine only, I would like to know what MY engine is to really be accurate. Your gasket is a great way to do a quick and cheap upgrade, though. Once I get my 62 back from Ralph, I will run it in a bit stock, then run it with the thinner gasket, then change the exhaust port height, etc. to see how much difference it all makes. A bit here or there doesn't seem like much, but it adds up if you get all the bits together.

I will be in touch for a couple of those gaskets in a bit.

Mark
Old 04-15-2007, 02:21 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

mmattockx
did you get the pipe running i see were a flyer is using one on the Ex Flight Yak thread?
Old 04-15-2007, 11:50 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

mmattockx
did you get the pipe running i see were a flyer is using one on the Ex Flight Yak thread?
krazy,

Not yet, Ralph and I are still sorting out the ignition swap (I wanted the ultra lite version and Ralph accidently sent me his standard cup mount version) and I am in the midst of starting up my own full time engineering consulting practice. In a few weeks I should be in a much better place to think about running the 62. I have lots of time, with no airframe for it yet, so I plan to tinker on the test bench with a couple of different home brew canister mufflers and then maybe the ES pipe when I can justify the price... It really is cheaper to just buy a $600 3W 80xi than hop up the 62 like this. We'll see how it goes. I will be posting results when I get them, so stay tuned. But don't hold your breath...

Mark