Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Cuda as first 50cc plane

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:34 AM
5150flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cuda as first 50cc plane

I am primarily a 60 size flyer with 12 years experience. When I decided to try the big stuff, I went out and bought the best - DA50 and a Carden Cuda. However when looking at the Cuda project it seems like I cannot be successful. The instruction manual is brief and the plans include only the fuse. There is minimal information on equipment setup and I know this step is critical. It appears that this kit is for experienced gaint scale builders only.

I am a good builder, but have no "gasser" experience. The Cuda kit, plus Carden parts and shipping is close to $700 and will take a lot of time to build. I can buy an ARF Aero-Works 50cc Yak for that price and it comes with a 80 page manual that details every step.

Carden is a great product, but will it make a good first 50cc plane?

Thanks for your input.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:38 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Cuda as first 50cc plane

In a word. YES!

On the soapbox...

The Cuda will take you longer to get into the air no questions asked. There are a couple of posts here on RCU that talk about building and setting up the Cuda and there is a web site : http://www.aeroprotect.com/Workbench/CUDA/Index.html that will take you through the building process. You can also post any questions you have here, or call Dennis at Carden, he will help you with anything. One of the reasons that Carden's are loved by so many is that Dennis will help you along every step of the way to make sure you get a plane that flies they way he intended. Yes, he leaves a lot for the experienced builder to decide on his / her own, but if you want to know what he does he will tell you.

Another reason to build rather than ARF, is that if you take your time, it will come out 100% straight and true, (most ARF's are not) This will make a big difference in the flying.

Carden's are known to be strong in the air and in any hard landing. The can also be repaired fairly easily in most crashes. There are some optional places to cut lightening holes in all of Cardens Kits, Cut them if you want light, leave them if you want "built like bull".

The Last reason to build a Carden Cuda is after you have built a Cuda, you will be able to handle ANY Carden as they all build with similar techniques.

Rob
Old 10-02-2006, 11:48 PM
5150flyer

Thanks for all your encouragement and offers of help!

I have spent some time time looking over in detail Carden's plans and instructions and reviewing www.aeroprotect.com. I have to admit that I am disappointed with this kit. The instructions - all 4 pages and one sheet of plans are very basic. To be successful, I will have to rely on third parties that I didn't pay. I have called Dennis and he is helpful. But I just want to build not make calls and surf the net.

When I paid top dollar for a 50cc kit, I expected top quality. The documentation here is more like a cheap ARF.

IMO...BTE makes as good a product as Carden and has excellent documentation. It is possible!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:47 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Well as ROBT stated, these kits and instrctions are really geared more toward an experience builder
Old 10-10-2006, 08:42 PM
speed8
My Feedback: (7)

I myself just completed my first carden. It's a 35% extra. Dennis is so helpful all you have to do is just call . It's not as hard as it looks . You will love it with you are done. Good luck and have fun with the build .It's a great plane .

Darrell
Old 10-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll only fail if you allow yourself to.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:16 PM
kwilliby
My Feedback: (13)

I too have a Cuda sitting in the box waiting to be built. It will be my winter project. Contact aeroprotect. He has his Cuda build on a pdf file and he can burn it to a CD for a very small price. His instructions and pictures are very good.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:01 AM
5150flyer

I started the Cuda a few weeks ago. It is going together well and between one call to Dennis and AeroProtect's CD no problems yet. The kit is fun to build and is well engineered.

I still say his instructions are weak - so I put them aside for the most part.

I had to start the kit to understand what all you Carden fans were talking about. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:28 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

If you have any questions feel free to ask...

You are going to love the way it flies...

And the quality of the kit cannot be matched.

Rob
Old 03-01-2007, 09:58 PM
OnTheEdge

... or call Dennis at Carden, he will help you with anything. One of the reasons that Carden's are loved by so many is that Dennis will help you along every step of the way ...
Dennis is by the far the best at describing something over the phone. He has the ability to communicate over the phone giving terrific details, analogies, visuals etc. He can walk you though any part of a build.

Best of luck..........Mark
Old 03-02-2007, 12:48 AM
5150flyer

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the encouragement and offers of help.