Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Planes transportation

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:13 AM
tigil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planes transportation

Hi everyone,
I have 3 planes and I would like to take them all with me in my 1995 Lumina van, in the safest way possible. However, I really do not have any idea how to build a rack in the back of that van.

Any suggestions? If you have some pictures to help that would be nice.
Thanks
Gilles

Cap 232 35% 98’ fuse 2 wings non-fixed stabs
Extra 300L 27% 78’ fuse 2 wings Fixed stabs
Super Sporster 48’ fuse 1 wing 55’

Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 AM
tim220225
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Planes transportation

I have an Excursion and we can get 5 planes in it. 2 28% fuses on the floor opposing each other. Spinners next to stabs. Also get my youngest sons profile too. Wings are in bags so that makes it easier I guess. Stand a pylon plane on it's nose wing on against the side of the truck along with a small electric. I bet with the seats out of yours you can do the same. In another smaller truck I would have the fuses on the floor and used spring loaded shower rods placed at the bottom of the windows to lay the wings on. Sorry no pictures. This may all change in a few weeks when my 35% Carden Edge is done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20411.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	629282  
Old 02-25-2007, 11:35 AM
vagent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Planes transportation

I have an '06 Chrysler minivan with "sto-and-go" seats which helps re carrying planes. One thing many can do is to build a rack in the ceiling area of your vehicle to carry the wings--whether bagged or uncovered. If you have two sets of "coat hooks" it makes it easy. Use 1/2 inch PVC pipe to go from the coat hook on one side to the coat hook on the other side. Cut the PVC long enough to hang just under the coat hooks, drill holes in the PVC and use something like coat hanger wire to "hang" the PVC from the coat hooks. Make two of these and you're already in business to lay your wings on the two parallel pieces of PVC. Put some foam pipe insulation on the PVC and that gives your wings a cushy ride with minimum (if any) damage. You may need to fiddle around with dropping the PVC pipes a little lower to give room for the wings, and you may want to use something like velcro strips to gently hold the wings in place for those sudden slow-downs/stops while travelling. This techniqe uses an often unused area in your vehicle--the very top of the ceiling.

PVC, foam pipe insulation, and Home Depot--"you can do it!"