Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Racing RIO's/ Prop Wash Shutdown

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Racing RIO's/ Prop Wash Shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:10 AM
mauian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing RIO's/ Prop Wash Shutdown

We'll I don't want to bring up another thing about the RIO, don't get me wrong, I love the boat(hull). We discovered that when racing RIO's with the stock motor that a little prop wash from another boat will shut the motor down due to water getting in the carby. I know there is way's to prevent this and maybe it was'nt realy meant for racing outa the box or it is. All I know is that just a little sprinkle is all it takes to stop the motor. We have raced the RIO's with modded Zen's and have not encountered this problem, only if you stayed in the prop wash for a long time would it shut down the Zen's. It happened to everone today and I'm talking 5 RIO's running the same time. I have posted this as a helpful tip, cover the carb be it a 7up bottle or tubing of sorts. Have fun.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:39 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Racing RIO's/ Prop Wash Shutdown

hows water getting to the carb with the canopy on? maybe the air inlet in the canopy is too big or near the carb?.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 AM
webdr

strange. I can recount many times the rio was fully engulfed in another boats wash and no shutdown. Not saying its not happening to you, but thats a little odd.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:54 AM
wayneuk01

you sure its not your failsafe cutting in if you have one
Old 03-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Slow Motion

Guys read his post. 5 Rios at the same time.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just make sure your in the lead boat !!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:22 PM
webdr

ORIGINAL: Slow Motion

Guys read his post. 5 Rios at the same time.
how does that change anything? its not like he has 5 boats roostertails hitting his rio all at once!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:22 PM
mauian

It doesnt matter how many boats where in the water, what I am saying is that just a little sprinkle is all it took to shut them down. Not just my boat but all of them with cowls on. We all are doing 40 to 41.8 mph, maybe it's our location, air temps, who knows. It was happening by just crossing the rooster tails and some of these boats are brand new maybe 3 days old some a month old with a dozen or so tanks. We are not sure where it is sucking the water from but its definetly water, could be from the top of the cowl or the side. Water entering the top will be deflected off the plug and down the side into carb. Yes we could block that hole and see what happens. Only experimenting will tell or just be in front and hope it don't rain.....lol. None of us run a failsafe yet. Oh and the air intake is that stock metal one. If some of you say it not happening then ya better come out here and run with us and you will get the same results for it is not just 1 boat it was all our boats running stock equipment that got shut down.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Slow Motion

Webdr my point being what are the chances of five boats all having failsafes that all failed at once
Old 03-31-2008, 06:27 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mauian

It doesnt matter how many boats where in the water, what I am saying is that just a little sprinkle is all it took to shut them down. Not just my boat but all of them with cowls on. We all are doing 40 to 41.8 mph, maybe it's our location, air temps
Or maybe the fuji wuji got a nosebleed when it hit 40 mph and gave up the ghost ,serriously though did it happen at the same part of the lake or diff parts ? .If it happened at the same spot it could be an interference problem MAYBE?.