Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

FEDA/GWS Dragonfly and LiPo - Awesome

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

FEDA/GWS Dragonfly and LiPo - Awesome

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 04:20 AM
floyd_2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FEDA/GWS Dragonfly and LiPo - Awesome

Ive been learning to fly my new Dragonfly for a few weeks now (straight out of the box). Slowly but surely Ive been getting better at hovering, but Im still not very good at it. I purchased an e-tec 1200mAh 7.4V LiPo battery and charger the other day and installed the lipo into the dragonfly today. The LiPo battery is so light - about a third of the weight of the standard NiMH battery pack. For my first LiPo flight, the heli went into an instant solid hover...almost no work for me to do. Additionally, the rudder was 100% stable for the first time. I couldnt believe the difference. Ive been wrestling the dragonfly since I purchased it and just thought that it was the nature of the beast.

For anyone learning to fly the Dragonfly, I would highly recommend purchasing and installing an e-tec 1200mAh lithium polymer battery if you can afford to. It will accelerate your learning curve significantly. As an aside, the charge time seems to be about an hour (but its early days with LiPos for me). I noticed that higher mAh LiPo batteries are available, but they are heavier (68gm for 1500mAh vs 47gm for 1200mAh) so I think the extended flight time would be offset by decreased flight stability.

Sorry if Ive repeated info from other recent posts, but thought that Id share this experience with other beginners who may be getting frustrated with slow learning curves.

Floyd
Old 02-21-2004, 06:47 AM
Super-Hornet

Default RE: FEDA/GWS Dragonfly and LiPo - Awesome

Hi

Good for u.. Keep up the good work. In fact when I first purchase my dragonfly in LHS, the shop assistant recommend me to go for Li-Poly instead but I turn down and purchase 2 NiMH for the same price as 1 Li-Poly Battery. I don't have Li-Poly charger also. Anyway, Now I have 2 sets of 1500mAH 2Cell Li-Poly instead.

if u are a beginner, Li-Poly is good for u because of longer flight time. With that, u don't have to worry or lost touch when the battery run flat. Longer flight means u can get the hang of it before battery run out.

Super-Hornet
Old 02-22-2004, 05:28 PM
blueprints

Floyd,
What rudder MOD did u get? Post more details abt ure DF here. THanx.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:35 PM
helisfreak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man.. i have the stock nimn for the aerohawk.. truely.. they do suck.. it fly for like 5 min... even though most of the time im on the ground because I still can;t hover to long... and it doesn't last that long... I just purchase some lipo from ebay... 2 7.4v 2 cell 800mah and a charger for 30 dollar... first i was looking into the 1600... but to heavy.. i believe...... but i got one question.. the stock motor is 8.5v and the one i bought is 7.4v... what is this going to do??? bad or good ?
Old 02-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Super-Hornet

Hi helisfreak

That voltage rating is a norminal value. U still can run at lower voltage. No problem at all.

In motor world:
Speed => Voltage
Torque => Current

Super-Hornet
Old 02-23-2004, 12:42 AM
floyd_2

Blueprints,
the only part I changed was the battery. I also slightly adjusted the pitch of the main rotor blades by twisting them for about 5 seconds each. They are pitched slightly more aggressively than standard - but not by very much. The rest of the heli is 100% out of the box.

Floyd
Old 02-23-2004, 12:55 AM
floyd_2

Hi Helisfreak,
In addition to Super-Hornets comments, the lower voltage of the LiPo battery pack is more than made up for by the significantly decreased weight of the battery pack. I think the 1200mAh battery pack seems to be about the best compromise between weight and capacity.

Floyd
Old 02-28-2004, 09:15 PM
quaker1

I tried a 2 cell in my aerohawk and it wouldnt even lift.