Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Crazy but cool!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 10:41 PM
SilentNightINC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy but cool!

I seen this electric truck with mud bogging back tires and skis in the front. Has anyone else seen this done? I thought it was sooo sweet with full steering skis. Well just wanted to see if anyone else has seen it or if I'm going CRAZZY!!!!!!!
LIL' JAY
Old 10-03-2002, 03:01 PM
Gear-Head
My Feedback: (2)

Default Crazy but cool!

Sounds cool, but unless the snow is really soft, or the skis angle when the turn I would think it would be hard to control. But if it works what a blast!!!
Old 10-03-2002, 03:56 PM
Krusty

Default Crazy but cool!

To provide directional control (steering) to skis, you must have a "ridge" or runner in the center running the length of the ski. If you look at a full-sized snowmobile, you will see exactly what I'm talking about. Regular snow skis are steered by the skier angling up on the edges and "cutting" to provide steering ability.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:46 PM
trey3670
My Feedback: (10)

Default Crazy but cool!

somebody used to sell a ski kit for the rc10 years ago,you could put two wheels on each side and then the skis mounted on the front anyone else remember that?
Old 10-06-2002, 05:23 PM
supafly
My Feedback: (4)

Default Crazy but cool!

I made a set of skis for my FT b3 last winter out of K&S brass sheet i had laying around. I bent them up like normal skis but on both sides i bent them down to make two parallel runners
i----------------i (like the simons flexi skis if you are familliar with aftermarket snowmobile skis) and some brackets from my airplane skis and just bolted them on in place of the wheels. It was a BLAST!! especially later in the winter when the snow melts in the day and freezes at night it makes a nice layer of crust and you can use drifts for jumps!!! the problem i had was with the rear end always wanting to come around (the skis turned better but they dug in more so they had more drag) A word of caution when driving in the snow!!!! i used to turn the car upside down to let it dry off but one time i forgot to unplug the battery and ended up frying an esc!! same holds true for the recievers and all other electronics!!! you can actually wrap the reciever in a balloon like the boat guys do but and esc might over heat.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:31 AM
Asylum4

Default Crazy but cool!

A few years ago we built a track by digging it into the snow. At night we lightly watered the track. We ran an Ultima pro with a Dahms lexan under tray and a couple of Tamiya King cabs all with either paddle tires or old spikes that had the spikes cut off and brass thumb tacks glued from the inside. Other than the cold it was blast one this though don`t boarder your track with anything hard wood ect. Because in the cold parts break quick. Another tip if your going to run in the snow on a regular basis invest in an old water proof marine ESC . Most of than will take up to 14 cells and some have reverse. The skies we used were mostly the old RC10 skies we found at flea markets but sme of the guys did build there own. the RC10 skies we slotted with a moto tool and used brass sheet to form runners down the center , we also used piano wire bent into hair pin shapes to keep the skies from flipping backwards off the jumps. We haven`t done any of this in a couple of years now becase my Buddy opened his own shop and now we have an in door track for the winter.But it still was a lot of fun and wild to watch with the paddles throwing snow about four feet in the air behind the trucks.
Ps another good idea is to use a foam cover over the motor end bell it still gets wet but you don`t pack smow into it.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:41 AM
rc10_gt

Default Crazy but cool!

yeah they make a ski kit i got mine off of ebay for 20.00
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	52763_18558.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	18067  
Old 02-05-2003, 05:42 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default Crazy but cool!

rc10_gt.....How well do the skis work?

Thanks for the pic!
Old 02-05-2003, 06:58 PM
Stuntmaster2

Default Crazy but cool!

This is Silent Night INC. with a new name and those are exactly what I seen!!! I most not be crazy!!!!
Old 02-05-2003, 09:22 PM
rc10_gt

Default Crazy but cool!

the skis worked good untill i hit my car it was 2 deg. F that night so i think thats why it broke. I think some super glue will fix it right up . Oh yeah also rem. if you run it in the cold make your truck run real rich. Melted my spur gear while i was letting it warm up outside and i was in the garage