Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How do I install dual aileron servos???

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How do I install dual aileron servos???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Birman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I install dual aileron servos???

Hi all. I want to install dual ailerons in my next build and I've never done it before. I want to set the servos on their sides so that just the horns are protruding for the wing. Do you use a Y harness in this type of installation? Do the horns of each servo face towards the root?

Does anyone have pictures of an installation?

Thanks,
Larry
Old 12-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: How do I install dual aileron servos???

Dozens of variations possible. Generally, if you're laying the servos on their sides with the arms protruding through a plywood (removable) panel you want the arm pointing out of the wing. ;-) I like mine so that (when installed on the lower wing surface) the arm is as far back as possible at maximum up deflection on the aileron. That usually gives them a bit of a rearward sweep at neutral and I like the looks of that. If the servo is "proud" (exposed and the arm moving parallel to the wing) I like to have the arm pointing just shy of straight back at maximum up deflection.

I don't have an image to load here at work, but can take some later if none appear.

"Y" harness or set the servos independently if the transmitter/receiver allows.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Charlie P.

http://www.btemodels.com/Downloads/vt_dualaileron.pdf

Here's a great link that shows how to do either vertical or horizontal aileron servos in a wing (this is for a Venture 60 but applies to most built-up wings). PDF so I can't just steal the images. If you do this on a wing that does not have multiple spars I recommend you make the panel as wide as a bay and square with basswood or spruce cross braces sunk as thick as your panel plywood to screw the panel to, then sheet the whole bay above and below the panel. Makes covering 10X easier than trying to work around the added bracing cross-members (which are countersunk for the panel thickness).
Old 12-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Birman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Charlie. As a matter of fact, the Venture 60 is the plane that I'll be installing the dual servos in.

Larry
Old 12-20-2006, 02:30 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

"... the arm is as far back as possible at maximum up deflection on the aileron. That usually gives them a bit of a rearward sweep at neutral and I like the looks of that. If the servo is "proud" (exposed and the arm moving parallel to the wing) I like to have the arm pointing just shy of straight back at maximum up deflection. "

Personally, I do exactly the opposite, in order to provide the proper aileron differential. Done the way suggested above will result in differential the other way (more down aileron than up).
Granted, on a Venture 60, it may not matter that much.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Charlie P.

Good observation. I usually don't use "full deflection" on ailerons once in service anyway. I just set them up that way so it can't bottom out and damage a hinge, twist an aileron or stall the servo thereafter. I adjust the linkages or use my transmitter to set the endpoints afterwards to get the recommended deflection and usually throw in 10% aileron differential with that.

I'm usually throwing 1/2"down and slightly less up on a .60 size model. I forget that there are lots of fliers who routinely use full control throws for the high alpha maneuvers.