Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

viper x2s can't get started

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:55 PM
deeker1973

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default viper x2s can't get started

hello, we just bought our son a viper x2s, we haven't been able to get it started. Glow plug igniter is charged and all new batteries installed. Fuel is at the carb but it just won't fire up. Does anyone have any suggestions for firing it up for the first time? We are new to the gas powered rc world. Thanks alot.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:07 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: viper x2s can't get started

take the glow plug out of the engine and make sure its good and the igniter is charged by putting the plug in the igniter and seeing if it glows.  also did you prime the engine, you can do it by putting a couple of drops of fuel in the carb or you can hold your finger on the mufflers outlet while pulling the pullstart until you see fuel going thru the line to the carb.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:36 PM
deeker1973

does the glow plug remain in or is it just used for starting? I'm trying to help out my wife, she's home with the rc and I'm at work a million miles from home so I haven't physically seen the truck yet.

she has primed the fuel by plugging the exhaust until the fuel reached the carb, I told her to plug the glow plug into the igniter to see if it lights up but she says that she can't see it because it is covered.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:39 PM
ehroof

You have to take the glow plug out of the engine and put it in the igniter, also you have to charge your igniter for a minimum of 6 hours for the first use. 

If it glows its good, if not then either the plug is bad or the igniter isnt charged.  Once its started you take the igniter off.  It works like a diesel engine.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:50 PM
deeker1973

I'm sorry for the dumb questions but I've never seen an igniter or glow plug before and like I said in my last post the truck is at home with my wife and I'm in the arctic at work.

so once the engine starts you take the igniter off but leave the glow plug in the engine?Is there any pics of what a glow plug and igniter looks like so I have an idea what your talking about. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Swamp3r

Yes once the motor fires leave the glow plug in PLEASE. It is possible your plug is bad it's also possible your ingnitor is bad, do like Eddie said if it glows good then there has to be a carb problem if you prime it and it fires and the fuel is at the carb then you have a carb problem might just be a needle adjustment. Keep us up to date we are here to help
Old 11-29-2009, 02:03 PM
deeker1973

thanks for the help, it may have to wait till I get home in a couple weeks. I just bought it off of ebay from himoto racing, I believe it was eddie I was emailing back and forth. In your ad you mentionned this forum, I'm glad its here to help us. thanks much.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Swamp3r

We will never leave you high and dry we are always here. Lots of rc knowledge in this forum lol
Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 PM
ehroof

It probably was me if there was a link to the forum.

Here is what an igniter looks like: http://server.sohouniverse.net/~himo...;=SID#MOREINFO

In the center of the engine there is a plug, you use the wrench that comes in the starter kit to take the plug out, you put it in the charged igniter to see if it glows.

Hope this helps you out a little and dont worry about the questions, thats why we have this forum!!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Sgt.Jonny

Yup thats what we are here for! Maybe go on youtube and watch a vid on how to start your rc car.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:02 PM
deeker1973

good idea, never thought of that, thanks
Old 11-29-2009, 04:11 PM
firebird78

like Eddie said, she will need to charge the ignitor for atleast 6 hrs....while doing this it gives time to go over the truck and make sure everything is tight and in place...another thing she will need to check is the needle settings...the hsn ( high speed needle...this is the adjustment screw on top of the carb, right were the fuel line goes into the carb nipple) should be about 3 turns from all in (gentle turn the screw in till it stops, dont tighten it...then turn it out 3 turns)...the lsn (low speed needle...this adjustment screw is were the throttle linkage is attached to the carb, looking in that lil circle also known as the collar you will see the screw)..this needle needs to be 3 turns from all in or flush with the collar....next you need to turn the radio gear on (truck and transmitter)...remove the air filter and look down the throat of the carb...there should be a 1mm gap between the slide and the carb throat (the adjustment for this needle is right under the hsn on the bottom side of the carb)...

also before you start the truck turn the radio gear on and do a radio check before you ever try to start it.....make sure your channels are correct and dont need to be reversed (could be to were you pull the trigger and it actually applies the brakes, when you pull the trigger the carb should open...when you push the trigger forward is when you should have brakes)....its also good to make sure your brakes are working good when doing this test...roll the truck and push the brakes...if the truck doesnt stop you will need to make some adjustments
Old 11-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Redharris

Here are a few Pictures to help Illustrate........
You may not have the SAME engine as in the Pictures,,,,,But the High Speed Needle (HSN),
Low Speed Needle (LSN), and Idle screw will be the same on any engine you have......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40890.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1323138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28266.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1323139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91404.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1323140  
Old 11-29-2009, 05:57 PM
deeker1973

thanks for the info, its alot clearer now..
Old 11-29-2009, 06:02 PM
deeker1973

she tells me that she has all new batteries in the receiver and transmitter but when she turns on the truck and receiver nothing happens, the steering should work even if the engine is not running as should the brakes and throttle. What might cause this? Does the receiver and transmitter have to be tuned in as well? thanks again..

Derek
Old 11-29-2009, 06:04 PM
firebird78

nitro rc is a learning curve...I stuggled at first and I'm an auto mechanic....just dont give up...the hobby is really awsome once ya get a hang of it...and we are here..one big happy family
Old 11-29-2009, 06:09 PM
ehroof

Are the lights on the remote coming on? when she puts the switch on the car on, do the servo's react?
Old 11-29-2009, 06:13 PM
deeker1973

ORIGINAL: HimotoRacingUSA

Are the lights on the remote coming on? when she puts the switch on the car on, do the servo's react?
I'm not sure I'll ask her later and get back to you.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:13 PM
ehroof

The batteries are directional, you have to be careful how you place them, they run in series, if one is not right, it will not work.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:27 PM
deeker1973

The batteries are directional, you have to be careful how you place them, they run in series, if one is not right, it will not work.
ok she's probably got them in wrong
Old 11-29-2009, 06:42 PM
ehroof

I would suggest waiting a until you are around, nitro cars take a little bit of mechanical know how. It will get her and your son very frustrated trying to get it going, it's alot different then the ones you get at toy stores where you put a battery in and go.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Sgt.Jonny

Thats what I was going to say. +1
Old 11-29-2009, 08:29 PM
deeker1973

I would suggest waiting a until you are around, nitro cars take a little bit of mechanical know how. It will get her and your son very frustrated trying to get it going, it's alot different then the ones you get at toy stores where you put a battery in and go.

ya they have decided to wait for me to get home, I've learned a ton today from all your help, I'm mechanically inclined so now that I understand them a little better I should be able to get her going. I'll post back once I'm home and have it running. Once again thanks everyone for your help..

Derek
Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 PM
ehroof

Your welcome bro, you will be fine, its alot easier once you there with it your hands to know what we are talking about.  Let us know how you make out and be sure to do like Firebird said, go over all the screws to make sure they are tight.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 PM
deeker1973

update, my son just called and he got the electronics working, there was a connector somewhere not plugged in right so now the steering works and he's a happy little boy but he's going to wait for me to be home to start it for him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.