Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Just finished building...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 06:38 PM
JakeCarter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished building...

Hello all!

I'm fairly new to the hobby, about 6 months now. My first plane was the 2 channel Speed Pilot from Hobbico. Found it to be very easy to fly, only one bad crash that took an hour of repairs to recover from. A friend of mine bought the Megatech "Airstrike" from ebay, which I have flown a few times and like a lot better than the Speed Pilot, the Airstrike is much slower, but the 3rd channel for throttle is nice. I've been able to get some nice loops and touch and goes out of it, but without ailerons it's hard to do much more. R/C planes is something I'd always wanted to get into, and I bought the Speed Pilot after seeing it in a magazine,
I didn't take much time to research. Now I've spent a lot of time on sites like this learning about building and flying.

For Christmas I gave my wife a wish list and got the Hitec Laser 6 radio system, their SP1801N ESC/BEC, a great planes 600 size motor, and a bunch of parts and tools. I've been really interested in scratch building and read some articles on using a foam/balsa combo. I built this plane without using plans, just used some pictures of other planes I've seen for reference. I used "blue foam" as I've seen it called, that I got from a local carpet store. Total materials to build came to about $15.

Flew it for the first time yesterday. Had a hard time getting off the ground, the tail was too heavy, moved the battery towards the front and it worked great. I'm using a 8.4v nimh, which died after making a few circles and before I got the nerve up to try any loops or rolls. Weather is bad today will have to wait to try again. I'll post a link to the video my friend took when I get a chance.

Just wanted to share my experience, love the site.

Happy flying.

-JC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	712_1284.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1277  
Old 01-07-2002, 06:39 PM
JakeCarter

Another picture...

Name:	713_1284.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1278  
Old 01-07-2002, 06:40 PM
JakeCarter

And another...

Name:	714_1284.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1279  
Old 01-07-2002, 06:41 PM
JakeCarter

Last one...

Name:	715_1284.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1280  
Old 01-07-2002, 06:57 PM
JakeCarter

... some other details, the wingspan is 36", length is 30", weight is 2 pounds even. The prop is an 8x4 Master Airscrew.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:25 AM
Cadet

I think your battery is to blame for the low flight time. You need at least sub-C size batteries to use that motor to it's potential. Plane looks really good though, keep it up.
Grant
Old 01-09-2002, 04:27 PM
mwright
My Feedback: (5)

Default good job

Wow. Only into the hobby 6 months and already scratch building! What will you be doing in a few years?

Two questions 1) From the picture is looks like there is no dihedral (actually looks anhedral) is this planned? 2) You don't see too many tricycle electrics, how did you do it?

Marcus
Old 01-09-2002, 06:19 PM
JakeCarter

Nope, there's no dihedral or anhedral, the wing is flat, guess the picture's a little misleading, sitting on the carpet made it sag on the right. The landing gear is all Great Planes parts. Very light, about 3-4 ounces or so. The nosegear is steerable, just a pushrod connected to the rudder servo, couldn't find any good instructions for setting this up online so I just did my best and it actually worked. (Had to switch the site of the rudder that the control horn was on after connecting the nosegear, the way I had it at first when the wheel moved to the right the rudder did as well, for it to work correctly they need to move opposite of each other) The servo tray was made from a flat piece of plastic I had laying around. It rests on the half inch by half inch balsa that I ran along the inside of the fuselage.

Name:	827_1284.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1281