Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Marking and cutting engine holes in FG cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Marking and cutting engine holes in FG cowl

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 10:22 PM
dwango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marking and cutting engine holes in FG cowl

I have to mark and cut the holes for my engine head/muffler in my FG cowl. How do you guys go about doing this? I can't install the cowl on the nose with the engine in place, so there must be another method.

Thanks a lot!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:54 PM
powellrc

Default RE: Marking and cutting engine holes in FG cowl

Go to the great planes site and get the instructions for the 1/4 scale extra 300. They have a good way to do this with a simple piece of paper. I like to cut a piece of file folder. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:28 PM
FJ-Air
My Feedback: (18)

I just cut and finished a nice cowl last week, I like the other post used a manilla file folder as a template, once I had the hole locations where I wanted them I then traced it on my cowl. To cut the cowl I used a dremel tool cut off wheel for the straight cuts ( use the thick cut off wheel , the thin ones break) To do the rounded cuts or corners I used a very fine file or a dremel drum sander works well to radius the corners. The big key is cut less on the first cuts other wise you may make the holes or cuts to big. I start small and work my way up. Once satisfied with the cut , I sand the edges for a smooth finish, do a final test fit and then paint the cowl.

hope this helps

Meeka

Measure twice cut once.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Tail dragger

Leave your engine mounted. Take a piece of wide masking tape and stretch it accross from the fus. to the center of the head or exhaust or which ever piece you are cutting at that time and mark. Pull back the tape leaving it attached to the fus. Remove the motor and install the cowling. Now pull the tape back over onto the cowling and trace your markings. Works very well. Tape arround the marking on the cowling and use a dremel tool with the bit that cuts with it's side and the tape will keep the fg from chipping. Very easy and works perfect. Give it a try! Good luck.