Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

ultra stick 60

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

ultra stick 60

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:20 PM
pthomas1956

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultra stick 60

hi all i`m starting to put together a ultra stick 60 ARF wanted to get some tips, and advice, one thing i wanted to do was not use the tail wheel assembly that came with the ARF does anyone have one in mind? thanks for everyones help!!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:23 PM
catracer343

Default RE: ultra stick 60

Add triangle stock to the landing gear mount block and firewall to reinforce it. I also removed the 10-32 bolts that hold on the landing gear, drilled bigger holes, and added 1/4-20 blind nuts. Re-drill your stock gear and install it with 1/4-20 nylon bolts. In a hard landing, the gear will simply shear off instead of ripping the bottom of your plane off. I also removed 1-1/2" of covering from each wing root and fiberglassed the joint after gluing it with 2" glass cloth, and then re-covered that section. That helps a lot with strength too! Throw away the supplied motor mount (too heavy) and use a glass filled type mount. If you want, you can also "clock" the motor down at 45* instead of 90* to get your exhaust directly under the plane, if you ever plan on adding a tuned pipe...you'll thank yourself for it! (also helps keep it a bit cleaner) Other than that, it's a real fun aircraft, and the "crow" flap option with the help of a computer radio is a blast! -Craig
Old 03-26-2008, 07:24 PM
carolinaflyer08

screw the tail wheel the rudder is big enough to turn it and besides that just put enough power on it and you wont have to worry with it!!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:27 PM
KingCobra2

[X(]

ORIGINAL: carolinaflyer08

screw the tail wheel the rudder is big enough to turn it and besides that just put enough power on it and you wont have to worry with it!!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Tower Hobbies site, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFV47 . This one is simple to install and steering is done through a spring which puts much less load on your rudder.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:56 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely epoxy triangle stock around the back side of the firewall and around the landing gear mounting plate. No need to reinforce the wing center section as long as you properly epoxy the 2 wing halves together. Hundreds of flights without a hint of a problem. I would disagree with using nylon bolts for the landing gear attachment. I would much rather have the gear stay on in a less than perfect landing than shear off. Seen too many fuselages and tail feathers wrecked when the sheared off gear hits them. Also be aware that the Ultrasticks tend to build nose heavy (adding the triangle stock doesn't help but is a necessity). Rather than adding lead to the tail, many people mount their rudder and elevator servos just ahead of the vertical stab (rudder servo on top of the fuse and elevator servo on the side of the fuse). Its really straightforward to do, solves the nose-heavy issues, and results in much shorter, more precise control hook ups.