Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

simulated "disaster"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

simulated "disaster"

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 10:43 PM
WingsLevel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default simulated "disaster"

Many times as i sit through my classes i come up with some amazing ideas. my newest ide being some "bullet holes" in the fuse with piping connected to a smoke system. another great idea was a hinged pilot that could eject with a parachute . the servo would slide the canopy open while pulling a pin on the pilot. a ring in the piluts butt would slide into a slotted seat. a push rod could run through the ring to hold the pilot down. when the canopy servo rod slides back the same rod could unlock the pilot. i was thinking something alogn the lines of spring loading the pilot. of course its not the most defined plan but with some time and testing i think it could be impressive. im into making some scale destruction so to spak. feel free to share ideas.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:46 AM
strnglvr
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: simulated "disaster"

My Thoughts, Are you paying for these classes your setting in,..........Just curious,................. Paul
Old 09-26-2003, 08:56 AM
Florian Kuehni

Are you going to crash the plane [8D] too????
Old 09-26-2003, 01:01 PM
WingsLevel

yeah i payed for the classes.. ha. i was just hoping for some inventinve ideas like my own. but i guess being the inventinve one i am i should expect criticizm. and actually i hadnt planned on crashing the plane. although it would look good with some pyrotechnics J/k.. the mock dogfight could end after the plane "caught fire". and i still hope to recive some good comments on ideas. but i never turn down criticizm.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:30 PM
WingsLevel

Being that they are WARbirds. i figured reenacting what they do best was a decent plan. Id have to say the things they did best was shoot and get shot. Any plane can fly and fly well. thats a given. thats what makes these warbirds different. they were used for waring. so i find smoking fuses and vacating pilots a good thought. ha oh well i was hoping for more enthusiam
Old 09-26-2003, 03:23 PM
strnglvr
My Feedback: (1)

Hi, No disrespect intended, Just struck a nerve, my oldest son graduating this year and looking at college next year, and i got a mental, him just sitting there day dreaming on my dime,....sorry,.........anyway, it's all i can do just to keep a plane in the air let alone dogfighting, not a bad idea,...be kinda neat,.......Paul
Old 09-26-2003, 08:03 PM
juvatwad
My Feedback: (8)

All that time daydreaming when you could be working on spelling......
Old 09-26-2003, 10:04 PM
WingsLevel

ha i knew someone would say i cant spell.. i think id call it dyslexic typing. but oh well. and its ok i can understand daydreaming being an issue. but thats an entirely different thread. ive had issues concentrating since 2nd grade. i have a good imagination is all really. and if anyone else does speak up.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:01 AM
juvatwad
My Feedback: (8)

It's all tongue-in-cheek.

Anyway, to focus on your original post, the "ejection" mechanism would have to produce a fairly significant force to overcome any Gz on the plane and to clear the pilot vertically from the prop. The model would also have a sudden cg change (unless the pilot was directly over or very near the cg) and increased drag with the canopy gone. These aren't insurmountable mechanical problems, but I question if the end result would be worth the effort.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:51 AM
WingsLevel

yes these are all things to be considered. i do agree it wouldnt be a simple thing. but of course id never do this with a scale plane. a sport scale would do the trick because CG is less meaningful and the planes fly alot easier. haha now to thikn id do this foolish stuff on a really scale plane .. then i woudl expect you guys to think im nuts. but still i am going to tinker with the idea more.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:30 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Byron Originals used to put on a show called "Striking Back", I think you would like this. He even had flack guns! Planes were rigged with small explosive charges, just all kinds of cool stuff. A pilot eject would not be to hard to do, once the canopy was open and he wasn't strapped in he would probably be sucked out! A small spring with a 1/16" ply plate on top for the seat bottom, hooked to a servo would work, once just a small part of him was in the slip stream I'm positive he would be sucked out. They do have R/C skydivers, just make a military one with a simple round parachute that will open with one small servo. CG would not be a factor, just check the CG with the pilot in place, when he "ejects" the plane will be slightly nose heavy, big deal!

Luke
Old 09-27-2003, 05:51 PM
WingsLevel

you are my savior. finally some slight proof im not the only one with inventive ideas... man thats an amazing thing to hear.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:55 PM
WingsLevel

does anyone happen to have any info on this byron originals air show?