Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Banner Towing Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Banner Towing Kit?

Does anyone make a banner kit for towing that would be suitable for a Super Decathlon powered by a ZDZ80 single?

Ken
Old 07-01-2004, 11:39 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Banner Towing Kit?

I don't know if anyone makes one, but I don't see why you could't reverse a releaseable towhook for a glider to do the same thing.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:16 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big Bird,
Are you planning to snatch the banner from the ground as the full scale boys do. There is a banner towing operation at the local airport so I have seen it done, really cool. I plan on making a tow line drop mechanism so that the tow hook is not dragging behind the plane during take off, we all know that could get nasty, the full scale pilots keep the hook and line in the cockpit, then throw it out the window on the pickup run. I have also thought of making a line release just in case things get hairy or landings become tricky.

Let me know what you come up with and I will do the same.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Big_Bird

When I posted this I was actually looking for a kit for the banner, not the tow release. However, there have been several developments since then.

A friend has already started building the banner. It is 30" tall and 18' long. I have started building the tow release module which will be mounted on the bottom of the landing gear on the Decathlon. It will hold the servo and release post. By doing the tow release this way, I don't have to modify the plane and it is removable.

No, I don't plan to snatch the banner as the full scale folks do. Two different methods can be used. The banner can be rolled up behind the plane and unroll during takeoff. Or, the banner can be stretched out ahead of the plane down the runway to the side of the takeoff path.

Another concern that I have is the tow cord becoming entangled in the tail wheel. I may cover about 5' of the cord leading to the tow release with some sort of plastic tubing. Any thoughts?

I'll make photos as the project progresses.

Ken
Old 07-02-2004, 12:01 PM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you all read the article this month in AMA by Dave Brown? Apparently if you tow a banner (even with a RC plane) it is considered comercial advertising and considerd a big NO NO with the FAA. You just may want to look into this first. I'd hate to see any of us get in trouble over this.

Don't thank me, you can thank Dave Brown - he has struck the giant scale community down again!!!!!
[>:][>:][>:]
RickP

PS I intend to let him know my dissatisfaction with his policies in the next election....
Old 07-02-2004, 01:28 PM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

BigBird,
If you are trying to keep the attachment point close to the CG it will be hard to run any kind of plastic tubing over the tow line. If however you are not worried about the attachment at the CG you could do as you are thinking with some Golden Rod fixed to the tail wheel bracket.

Better yet run the tubing inside the fuselage, having it exit in between the rudder and the tail wheel, then the servo release could stay in the plane at all times. It would be a simple matter of fishing the tow line through the tubing when you want to use it. This is the method I am going to use on my plane.

Rick,
With friend like that we don't need enemies.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:09 PM
RandyL
My Feedback: (4)

Ken, My very limited experience with banner towing tells me to not have the connection point on the aircraft too far rearward. This causes heavy weathervaning effect. I like your idea of attaching close to the LG.
I would want my banner rolled, including the tow line, and released once airborne and in the pattern. We have done some strange launchs with banners but most are dicey except the rolled and dropped at altiude method.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Big_Bird

RickP, the latest issue of MA that I have is July. I guess the August issue will show up soon. What we are putting on the banner is our club logo and name and "Breeders Cup" (big horse racing event) that the City of Grand Prairie is sponsoring and promoting. According to what you say that Dave said this would be illegal. However, we are not getting any monetary rewards for doing this. Our flying field is on city property and we promote the city activities when possible. Guess we'll just have to see how this rattles out.

Randy, believe me, at the first sign of instability with the plane/banner, I'll drop it like a hot potato.

Ken
Old 07-02-2004, 04:29 PM
RickP

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Big Bird,
I know it's for good intentions, but just double check to be sure - with how ridged he has been on other anti-giant scale agendas, I'd assume there little leeway.
RP

PS You may want to ask the combat guys what they do with long streamers. I think they just tack them on the back. What about streamers on the wingtips during freestyle. I've seen this before in freestyle. Good luck.
RickP
Old 07-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Big_Bird

OK guys, not too much laughing but a little snickering is OK. Here is my version of a super strong tow release which will bolt to the bottom of the gear. It is easily removed to restore the plane back to normal providing that there is a plane to restore after this towing project.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77650.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	149720  
Old 07-03-2004, 06:43 AM
augiep38
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: RickP

Did you all read the article this month in AMA by Dave Brown? Apparently if you tow a banner (even with a RC plane) it is considered comercial advertising and considerd a big NO NO with the FAA. You just may want to look into this first. I'd hate to see any of us get in trouble over this.

Don't thank me, you can thank Dave Brown - he has struck the giant scale community down again!!!!!
[>:][>:][>:]
RickP

PS I intend to let him know my dissatisfaction with his policies in the next election....
Yeah Good Ole Dave Brown is an inadequate bloated geezer. If you call him on his stupidity he becomes unsettled and can't address you intelligently. Thats the sign of a true leader

Todd
Old 07-03-2004, 07:19 AM
RandyL

Ken... That is very similar to what I use as a release on my Kadet Senior for dropping all sorts of stuff. Servo, short metal pin, retaining block. I did have to add a block of wood where the pin enters so that when the servo retracted fully it would not let the pin drop out of the retaining block. A progamable chl would stop this problem. Mine is hooked up to a simple radio and the servo moves full stroke in or out.
When is the last time you took your rubber chicken sky diving?? ( yes..I drop all sorts of things! )

Name:	Lj21364.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	149805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96308.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	149806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37590.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	149807  
Old 07-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Big_Bird

Randy, I'll bet that rubber chicken is ready to be turned loose after being bounced all over the runway on the takeoff run. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Ken
Old 07-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Big_Bird

Normally the place where the tow release is installed is covered by an assembly that covers the landing gear area and follows the contour of the fuselage.

Name:	Lj24166.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	149907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78539.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	149908  
Old 07-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Big_Bird

Success! The banner is 30" high and 18' long and weighs about 3 pounds. On takeoff, there is very little elevator trim change. We laid the banner out behind the Decathlon flat and used a 50' cord. We used 4.5 ounces of weight on the lower end of the stick that the bridle is tied to. The letters were not yet installed but will now be put on since the test was successful.

Ken

Name:	Bz79470.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	150467  
Old 07-05-2004, 08:32 PM
The PIPE

Default The DECEMBER 1977 AMA mag can help...

Dear Big_Bird:

The PIPE here once more...and if you go to the AMA Digital Archive, in the "Members Only" section, search for an article in the DECEMBER 1977 issue of Model Aviation...starting on page 44 of that issue is a NINE page article, written by one BILL LAVERS, on the particular subject you're interested in...HOW TO TOW SIGNS!

This article shows you how to set up just about EVERYTHING an RC model aircraft needs to have to be a towplane for sign towing, AND even shows how to create a "lettering system" very similar to what PROFESSIONAL aerial sign towing firms have available to them, using individual LETTERS that get connected together to create the words (and the spaces BETWEEN them) in your message...the FONT used in that system is VERY similar to what you can find at http://www.tlai.com/med_des/ausafpro.html !!!

You can view OR view-and-print the article out for YOURSELF to see what I'm getting at...I may even try it MYSELF someday in the future...but "not right now" for myself at least...hope THIS tip helps!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 07-05-2004, 08:42 PM
RandyL

Preception is everything.. Here I have a flag that is only about 8" x 12". It is being pulled by a 40 inch span speed 400 powered aircraft. The flag had about 1/4oz of lead at the front, lower, tie off point. No fancy releases here, just kite string tied on tight.

Name:	Ki20554.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	150610  
Old 07-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Big_Bird

Default RE: The DECEMBER 1977 AMA mag can help...

Hi Pipe,

Thanks for the info. I read the article several days ago. It was very interesting.

Ken
Old 07-06-2004, 09:44 AM
ThankYouVeterans

Default RE: The DECEMBER 1977 AMA mag can help...

Hey Mr. Ken,

Been a while since I spoke to you. My names Matt Raley. We talked quite a bit about two years ago when you were building your Ziroli Corsair. I still got you build pics saved on my computer. I am finally out of college so the funds are defintately better than when we last spoke. I just bought my first gas project. I bought a Aeroworks 31% Edge 540T.

Good to see you are still burning gas. Is the Corsair still flying? Great looking Decathalon. Nice to speak to you again.

Matt
Old 07-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Big_Bird

Default Banner Towing Kit?

Matt, good to hear from you. Yes, the Corsair is in good shape. I'll be taking it and the other warbirds down to Bomber Field in September.

Ken
Old 11-28-2005, 03:40 PM
hooliganflyer

twostroke, the pilot doesnt ''throw the hook out the window'', the hook is clipped to the wing supports and after take off the pilot puls on the release mechanism inside of the cockpit, I know this because in the summer I work at my local aerodrome setting up and preping the banners. Just some info you might like to know

Regards
Old 03-13-2006, 05:07 PM
rwegert

Here I am towing a flag in Holland using my crop duster (Thrush) with and OS46 and a flag release. I had to work on the flag to make it fly stable. I take off with it attached and release prior to landing. Fun! /roger

Name:	Lj21565.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	425488  
Old 05-11-2006, 11:57 AM
bigbomber

Hey Guys, There is some banner towing gear on ebay at the moment from Australia. Search "airmod" and it should come up. Also he has some bomb dropping gear. Check it out!!