Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Attaching tail wheel assembly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Attaching tail wheel assembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 11:47 PM
Mattyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attaching tail wheel assembly

Hi Guys,
I am wondering what the best way to attach a tail wheel to the fuse is. I have bought an assembly but there is no bracket to attach to the fuse. any ideas??

thanks for any help

Matt
Old 09-26-2005, 01:10 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Attaching tail wheel assembly

More info needed......type of tailwheel etc.

Most large scale planes have a piece of plywood in the end of the fuse. You drill into this to attach the tailwheel bracket. The wheel should extend out to the rudder. If you don't have the plywood plate.......that would suck
Old 09-26-2005, 01:35 AM
Mattyb

Yeah it has the plywood plate. I can see that you just drill a hole in the wood and insert the tail wheel assembly through there and run it down the fuse. but there is nothing to go around the wire/steel which runs along the fuse. and i dont imagine just gluing it to it would hold that well. Wish i had a digital camera. Bout the tailwheel from PA (precision Aero)
Old 09-26-2005, 06:33 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you are missing the banding strips. I'm guessing the style wheel you have is like in the picture.
What you can do is take some silicone tubing and slide 2 pieces on to the wire and then make some tie down metal straps yourself.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:52 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Believe it or not but just drill the hole undersized and take a machine screw and run it into the hole. It will be very tight but it will not work loose. My Cap has over 500 flights and 3 broken tail wheel assembles and the screws have never come loose.
ORIGINAL: Mattyb

Hi Guys,
I am wondering what the best way to attach a tail wheel to the fuse is. I have bought an assembly but there is no bracket to attach to the fuse. any ideas??

thanks for any help

Matt
Old 09-26-2005, 12:12 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd think that it would at least rotate with nothing holding it behind the screw. That's amazing.

I little nylon nose wheel holder would work too. I bet I could find a ton of little nylon or aluminum parts in my shop that would hold that wire (if that's all your missing,,pic's needed). If it's a flat tail wheel bracket then just drill two holes in it and screw it to the bottom of the fuse.

ORIGINAL: Geistware

Believe it or not but just drill the hole undersized and take a machine screw and run it into the hole. It will be very tight but it will not work loose. My Cap has over 500 flights and 3 broken tail wheel assembles and the screws have never come loose.
ORIGINAL: Mattyb

Hi Guys,

thanks for any help

Matt
Old 09-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Mattyb

Yeah it is the same as the pic above but a bit bigger and is missing the straps to tie it down. This i will do the silicone tubing bit. thanks for the great response guys