Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Edge 540T /w saito fa125 question

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Edge 540T /w saito fa125 question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 12:03 AM
fellers
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull Edge 540T /w saito fa125 question

Do I really need the support wires and brackets that screw into the bottom the fuselage of the model. I do not have them on any other plane including my extra300s.
So are they a necessity or can I leave them and all the extra weight off? I epoxied it all very well with 30 minute!
Old 11-18-2007, 07:56 AM
lou1947

Default RE: Seagull Edge 540T /w saito fa125 question

If you are talking about the support wires that brace the stabilizer I would encourage you to put them on. I saw a Seagull yak 54 that broke one of the stabilizers off from to much g's. The pilot was very experienced and he had forgotten to put them on. Its not worth the risk.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Geardaddys

Fellers,

A friend of mine had the seagull Laser 2000 and I believe that kit came with the support wires for the bottom of the horizontal stab.. Anyway he felt that there was still too much 'play' in the tail and opted to install another set for the top.. don't know if the planes are engineered in a similar way or not.. Cobra, you out there?

Anyway, let us know how your Edge flys! I have a saito 125 in the basement right now waiting for Christmas! Were you happy with the kit?

GD
Old 11-18-2007, 09:20 PM
fellers

Yeah you are right. I might as well put them on. A simple process.

I was extremely happy with the quality of this arf. It is top notch and I flew one already with a saito fa125 in it and it was a true BEAST!
THe plane is well designed and well put together.
Well worht the price and higly reccomended
Old 11-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Mr. Mugen

Indeed it is well built. I however did take a few ozs of 30 minute epoxy and walked around the whole fuse and gave a little extra to each and every joint in reach. I am building my 2nd seagull edge right now. I am going with the YS110 this time. Kevin
Old 11-18-2007, 11:32 PM
aussiesteve

Yes - you should use them. They are functional. If you are only doing basic sport flying with no high G's, you could probably get away without them but that plane flies so well with the 1.25 in it that it is very difficult to resist doing better maneuvers.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:48 AM
dcarpenter62

Not an answer about the support wires.....but I would use them....they do cause some interesting radio problems...I would change them to no metal to metal contact...
Be carful with high G loading with this model. I have bent the wing tube several times...once about 5 degrees on each side!
The wing spar is not up to the job.[]
Also the landing gear is VERY poor. It will bend on every landing that is not perfect. Too soft of aluminum. Replace it or buy props.
Great aircraft for sport flying....not so good for 3D.
Dave

Old 11-19-2007, 10:45 AM
fellers

ORIGINAL: dcarpenter62

Not an answer about the support wires.....but I would use them....they do cause some interesting radio problems...I would change them to no metal to metal contact...
Be carful with high G loading with this model. I have bent the wing tube several times...once about 5 degrees on each side!
The wing spar is not up to the job.[]
Also the landing gear is VERY poor. It will bend on every landing that is not perfect. Too soft of aluminum. Replace it or buy props.
Great aircraft for sport flying....not so good for 3D.
Dave

I use the JR X9303 2.4GHZ radio. Not worried about glitching at all. I have not even had anything close to a glitch in any of my models since I switched to this radio. A carbon fiber tube will end any bending issues.
As far as 3D, I do not know what you are talking about saying not so good for 3D. A club owner has one and he does every 3D maneuver you can think of with it.
The landing gear is junk; but what arf gear is not jubk?
Graphtec gear will end any landing gear issues.
Now you have a great sortsman and 3D lane that is not big at all...
Old 11-19-2007, 09:40 PM
dcarpenter62

I am new to 3D...I do have the Edge and a QQ 73 inch Yak55.
The Edge is heavy with a OS 120 4 stroke. It has plenty of power...
Problem is that is rocks off on a wing in a snap in a hartbeat....make that 1/2 of a hartbeat. Better inverted that right side up but still very snappy. It does weigh about 10 lbs.
In comparison the QQ Yak is also 10 lbs with a OS 160 2 stroke...it is a breeze to 3 D in comparison to the Edge by Seagull....at leat thats my report.
The Edge does great pattern work...very good inverted and straight lines..and unlimited up. I am not knocking the Edge...its a fine airplane and well worth the money.
Dave
Old 11-19-2007, 11:52 PM
fellers

ORIGINAL: dcarpenter62

I am new to 3D...I do have the Edge and a QQ 73 inch Yak55.
The Edge is heavy with a OS 120 4 stroke. It has plenty of power...
Problem is that is rocks off on a wing in a snap in a hartbeat....make that 1/2 of a hartbeat. Better inverted that right side up but still very snappy. It does weigh about 10 lbs.
In comparison the QQ Yak is also 10 lbs with a OS 160 2 stroke...it is a breeze to 3 D in comparison to the Edge by Seagull....at leat thats my report.
The Edge does great pattern work...very good inverted and straight lines..and unlimited up. I am not knocking the Edge...its a fine airplane and well worth the money.
Dave
Add some expo in your radio for your yak to get the rocking under control if you don't already.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:17 AM
Mr. Mugen

Man the junk landing gear saved my plane from the wrath of my deadstick landings a few times. Better to have bent gear than a destroyed fuse I guess.