Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Quick Engine Plate ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Savage_mt2_Attack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Engine Plate ?

Hey guys, I got a quick question(s) for you all running FLM LCG tvps.

I have broke multiple FLM engine plates in the past, and I am in need of a need plate this bashing season. Does anyone know if the Innovative-RC engine plate, the one meant to us on a savage X, will bolt up to the standard length LCG FLM's?

This plate: [link=http://www.innovative-rc.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=63]IRC Engine Plate[/link]

Does it have the same bolting pattern as the FLM and stock engine plates, or can they only be used with IRC tvps?
Is the notch at the back of the plate sufficient at clearing the rear drive cup?

I have heard great things about IRC products, and I would love to give this plate a try, that is only if it fits in this case

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:07 PM
rotzilla

Default RE: Quick Engine Plate ?

should work no? it shows for sav x or lcg....
Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 PM
BANKRUPTER

what LCG FLM do you have ? that notch does not look wide enough for the standard length set. Exts dont matter
Old 07-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Savage_mt2_Attack

That's what I was concerned about. I have the standard length ones and I was concerned that the notch may have not be large enough. That's nothing that a dremel can't fix, but by doing so, down goes the warranty and possibly the strength of the part. []
Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same deal as you. I've bent 2 FLM engine plates and I'm sick if them and their crap warranty. People have said the stock plate will work but in my experience it wont fit on the std length TVPs. Now I bolted on my stock S-25 chassis and I've stripped 4 spurs in less than a tank of running, we checked everything and it looks like the engine mount is bent. I'll definitely be checking this thread cause I'd rather slap the FLMs back on with another plate.

Tom.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:33 AM
electricnitro

If you can get it to fit right then the xl engine plate is 4mm thick compaired to the 3mm thick x engine plate. Its ALOT stronger then the x plate. I know its a direct fit in the x TVP's. Not sure about the flm's though.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Savage_mt2_Attack

rcnitrohead, I was running the stock x 4.6 engine plate with the FLM tvps for awhile after I trashed the FLM plate. In order to get it to fit, however, I had to dremel and cut out a lot of metal. It held up for awhile, but it is now bent. (15 foot backflips anyone? ) Not wanting to put that much work into installing another engine plate, I am looking for other options. If I order the IRC plate, I will be sure to report back in this thread.

Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 AM
rcnitrohead

Cool, I'll look forward to that. I need to confirm really quick whats tweaked in my truck and maybe I'll try to dremel out the stock plate cause the stock chassis gives me insanely high CG. Good luck with the IRC if you order.

I was considering buying a set of their TVPs cause I hear great things about them, but my money stash aint going to R/C haha
Old 07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

The IRC plate will fit, and is much stronger than FLM garbage. You'll never bend it.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Savage_mt2_Attack

Okay thanks, that is what I was hoping to here
Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Savage_mt2_Attack

wow look what i found on hpi's site
[link=http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/102699/]engine plate[/link]

Thats too bad.. I already ordered an IRC plate, but the looks of this new hpi plate are killer. 10mm thick, comeon now, and it looks to fit on LCG tvps like the FLMs

The IRC plate should get here any day now and I will be sure to report back my findings ASAP

Later
Old 07-29-2009, 07:24 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

It looks nice, but the IRC plate is still superior. The problem with the stock HPI plate is not the dimensions, but the material. HPI's aluminum is poor quality, and that plate will still crack and bend under heavy abuse. IRC uses a much better aluminum alloy (6082-T6), so their plate will be lower in mass and much stronger.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Savage_mt2_Attack

Well guys the fitment testing is going to have to wait... I just received my shipment from IRC in the mail, and 1. I did not even receive the engine plate [:@], and 2. I received the wrong lst x upgrade kit[:@]. I have given Rob at IRC an email, but everywhere I have heard that he is slow to reply to those. I guess time will tell, I am keeping my hopes up as I have heard good about him from some as well.

Anyone else have experience dealing with IRC, I remember reading awhile ago on another forum that you have HPI_Savage_RC? How did it go? It kinda sucks since my new Picco .28 is going to arrive any day now and I can't use it because I have no dang engine plate to mount it on
Old 07-31-2009, 01:25 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

The customer service is incredibly hit and miss. He will package every order properly and ship promptly for a while, then all of a sudden he starts making massive errors, all the while taking weeks to mail the package. Sometimes he'll respond to e-mail within a day, sometimes it will take more than a week, and sometimes you'll never get a reply. It's unfortunate, his products are top notch, but the customer service is the worst in the industry.

My first IRC order was shipped a few hours after I placed it. It arrived in 3 days, and contained all of the parts. My 2nd order was placed a few weeks later, and sat at "processing" status for over a week. He wouldn't respond to my e-mails asking what the hold up was. When he finally shipped it, I received only a notification e-mail, no explanation. When it arrived, it was missing one of the dogbones. I contacted him, and he got back to me within the day. He acknowledged the problem, and shipped the missing part the next business day.

Very inconsistent. Your best bet is to e-mail him and hope for a reply, since he lists no phone number on his website, and the UK blocks reverse address lookups.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:41 PM
Savage_mt2_Attack

I can't seem to see your reply? [X(]
Old 07-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Savage_mt2_Attack

Ya it's shocking to me as I have ordered from him before, this is the 4th time now actually, and all before were pleasant experiences. Never did I receive and order with wrong or missing parts. It's a shame really. Its now been most of the day and no reply as of yet. I will continue praying though [:@]
Old 08-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Savage_mt2_Attack

Hey guys, this post is my report back about the experience I had with IRC and what I have found out about the IRC engine plate.

1. Rob from Innovative-RC is a nice guy to deal with once you get a hold of him. Very apologetic and he promptly sent out my missing parts once he knew of his mistake.
2. This engine plate is one solid unit, quite heavy, but it is very sturdy (and shiny )
3. The engine plate is machined with great precision, no slop in the engine mounting holes, and everything lined up perfectly.
and 4. IT WORKS WITH FLM LCG TVP's! I am quite happy about my $35 purchase, and for all of you running the standard length FLM tvps, IRC's engine plate is IMO the answer to all your engine plate fitment issues.

Edit: I can't type
Old 08-18-2009, 01:01 AM
rcnitrohead

Thanks for updating! I dunno what to do with my poor FLM plates at this point, they've actually warped from the head of the exhaust header [&:]