Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Is this Battery/Motor Setup A Good Idea?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Is this Battery/Motor Setup A Good Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:51 PM
alexchen86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this Battery/Motor Setup A Good Idea?

I am looking to get a bit more speed on my waterproofed mudder/basher SCX10.

I have an AX10 for crawling so the SCX10 serves nothing more than as a submersible trail blazer.

I am running a Titan 12T 550 size with a 20T pinion on the stock 87T spur with an XL-5 ESC.

I want the max voltage the ESC can handle so I want to use a 9.6V NiMH hump pack from MaxAmps.

http://www.maxamps.com/MA-5000-8Cell-Hump.htm#

Would this be a bad idea? Will the motor or ESC overheat too fast?
Old 01-14-2010, 01:26 PM
gixer1k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is this Battery/Motor Setup A Good Idea?

That would be right at the limits of the ESC for both the battery and motor. You'd need to keep a close eye on it first few runs and check the temperature of all the components.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:22 PM
alexchen86

I think I will try it with a 7 cell first before ordering an 8 cell...I would prefer LiPO...maybe get a HH ESC waterproofed.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:04 AM
Tex_50613

just make sure you are not running a adapter, either run the Traxxas plugs like come stock on the ESC ot deans plugs, you get moisture in the standerd plug and are running the 7 cell or higher batterys you run the chance of frying the plugs and adapter (I'v done this 2 times so far on my Slash) as for the esc I was running the 9.6v batterys on mine befor I swapped to the Waterproof VXL Brushless system and had no overheating problems what so ever
Old 01-15-2010, 09:49 AM
alexchen86

Thanks for that first hand experience Tex!

I have been running regular Tamiya plugs for ages on my crawler but never submersed. With this mudder I will definitely stick with Traxxas plugs. My 7 cell already has it anyway just have to resolder the other 6 cell packs I have laying around.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Tex_50613

yeah no problem, experance is the best teacher, LOL, I have personally been converting everything Irun to the traxxas setup lately because I can pick up new battery packs with them already installed at my LHS easly enugh and they are rated for up to 12 volts to boot