Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

NWHT GEE BEE: What engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 02:18 AM
BigProp
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NWHT GEE BEE: What engine?

Hello all you gasser guys out there.....! Here's my question. I just bought a Giant Scale GEE BEE (85" WS, 18-20 lbs.) from NWHT. Which engine would be the best fit for it? I am told that you need an engine that is reliable at idle as you ned this characteristic on final approach. I have never owned a gas engine so I don't know if Quadra 42/52, BME 44/50, 3W 50, Taurus is the way to go? Please Help! :stupid:
Old 08-01-2002, 03:06 AM
Ed

Don't use anything larger then a 50cc engine. The people that I have spoken to, all say that they made a big mistake by putting a G-62 in it. You didn't say, but it sounds like you are building the model "Z".

I saw one that weighed 22 lbs fly with a Q-45, and in my estimation, it wasn't enough to make it fly like a racer. It was adequate, but slow.

I'm putting the new DA-50 in mine, and hope that it will be ready in a couple of months.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:32 AM
BigProp

Actually, I'm building th R2 and wasn't sure which engine to go with. I was told thaqt it would come in weighing between 18-20 lbs. What about putting in Q-52? BTW, why did they regret going with the g-62?
Old 08-01-2002, 12:34 PM
Daleroger
My Feedback: (39)

I have one on order since May, due to ship soon. They ( NWT ) told me a G-62 was o.k. but way over power required. I was thinking of a Fox 3.2 or Brison. Jim, what do the people regret concerning using a G-62. I built a 72" R-2 using a Saito 180 and found it tail heavy. I had to hang flight batt .and ob-glow on the motor mount, and make a 5 oz. prop nut to get it to 22% where it flys pretty good. If I use the lighter engine, do you think I'll have the same problem ?

Thanks,
Dale
Old 08-02-2002, 10:48 PM
Ed

The two or three people that I spoke with claimed that the G-62 was just tooo much engine, and flew it at partial throttle all the time. Don't know about balance, haven't been there yet.

Let me see if I can get Jack Devine to join the thread and advise us.

Hang tight.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:06 AM
Jack Devine
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NWHT GEE BEE R-2

Hi Guys: I haven't been a regular in this forum and Jim asked me to respond so here is what I know. Jeff Quisenberry and I both have the NWHT R-2 and both have G-62's for power. At full throttle you had better be ten seconds in front of this plane because I'd say it will fly 120 MPH pretty conservatively. I used a 20 X 14 Prop and it is extreemly fast. I don't have any pylon racing experience but I have several Warbirds that are very fast and the GEE BEE will fly with any of them. The plane is rock stable in the air and turns very cleanly with coordinated elevator/rudder/aileron input. It does not turn cleanly without the rudder especially at slower air speeds. It will roll faster than you can count if you kick the ailerons to high deflection. At just over half throttle it's really a friendly airplane. It's very responsive with very go where you point it style flying. I was impressed and surprized with the speed because I thought with all the drag from the huge landing gear covers and the cowl and fuselage shape that it would be like pushing a barn door through the air. It's not at all like that. It lifts off quickly and will go straight up with full power.
I have a friend that had the Byron Gee Bee and he had a G-62 in it. We flew it twice and he sold it because it was a bear to fly. It was very unstable and fell out of the air below half throttle. It was pretty heavy at 29 pounds and it flew like an overpowered brick. A real handful. It landed way to fast and didn't even attempt a main gear landing. The NWHT model is a totally different plane.
At lower power settings I think any average pilot could fly this model with no problems. Grass fields should be three pointed on landing and pavement will let you set it down on the mains and then let the tail wheel set down as the airspeed bleeds off. At full power with the G-62 it will really get with the program and I hope you remember that you need oxygen. For some reason breathing becomes optional. Most of the big birds I have seen fly
are probably in the 75 to 85 MPH range and this plane with a G-62 at wide open throttle will just about double that. I don't regret putting the G-62 in it but it's overkill unless you like to fly like a bat out of you know where. The other guys at the field will be very impressed with the speed but very leary of flying at the same time because of how quickly the Gee Bee will close on a slower flying model. You become a pain in the backside when you are flying twice as fast as every other plane in the air. It's a thrill a second at wide open throttle and a really nice airplane at half throttle. I hope this helps. I'd be happy to make an attempt to answer any questions.
Jack Devine
Old 08-03-2002, 02:12 AM
BigProp

Default What about a Q-52?

Hi Jack. Thanks for sharing your experience. What do you think about a Quadra 52? I believe it weighs a little less than the G-62. I also was wondering what does your GEE BEE weigh in at? Thanks Again!
Oh, one other thing. Any preference with magneto vs. electronic/battery ignition?