Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

7 cell or lipo

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
selena1718

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 cell or lipo

would a gp 3800 7 cell battery give me more speed than say a 4000 mah lipo battery i know that lipo are better all around but for speed which is better? thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 02:06 PM
running_gag

Default RE: 7 cell or lipo

speed is all about voltage. a 7-cell nimh will give you 8.4 volts. whot will the lipo give you?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:26 PM
ry5no2

2 cell is around 7.4 I think

Ryan
Old 01-09-2007, 02:32 PM
DaveG55

A 2 cell lipo will give you a nominal voltage of 7.4 V so will likely be a bit slower than a 7cell nimh pack (8.4v). A 3S lipo will be 11.1v and so be considerable faster. But there are other things to consider. First, a fully charged 2S lipo will top out around 8.1v (give or take a tenth of a volt) while a 7 cell nimh pack will top out at 9.8v but the nimh will start to fall off much quicker than the lipo. The lipo will keep a pretty constant voltage (and thus performance) untill it is nearly discharged. Then there is the weight difference. A nimh pack is considerable heavier than a lipo. Lipo's do have some downsides though. You need an ESC that can be programed to quit drawing current when pack voltage drops below a certain point. The exact voltage depends on the pack configuration and voltage but is usually 3.0v/cell. You also need a lipo charger, you CANNOT use a nicad/nimh charger (not easily anyway). And Lipos are very finiky about overheating and charging. Improper charging and / or inattention can lead to explosions and fires.
If you're willing to deal with them though, lipos are great batteries. Lots of power, a great discharge curve and light weight too.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:50 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd put my money on the lipo and simply gear it up to compensate for the lower voltage.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:37 PM
R/C fan-addict

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

A 2 cell lipo will give you a nominal voltage of 7.4 V so will likely be a bit slower than a 7cell nimh pack (8.4v). A 3S lipo will be 11.1v and so be considerable faster. But there are other things to consider. First, a fully charged 2S lipo will top out around 8.1v (give or take a tenth of a volt) while a 7 cell nimh pack will top out at 9.8v but the nimh will start to fall off much quicker than the lipo. The lipo will keep a pretty constant voltage (and thus performance) untill it is nearly discharged. Then there is the weight difference. A nimh pack is considerable heavier than a lipo. Lipo's do have some downsides though. You need an ESC that can be programed to quit drawing current when pack voltage drops below a certain point. The exact voltage depends on the pack configuration and voltage but is usually 3.0v/cell. You also need a lipo charger, you CANNOT use a nicad/nimh charger (not easily anyway). And Lipos are very finiky about overheating and charging. Improper charging and / or inattention can lead to explosions and fires.
If you're willing to deal with them though, lipos are great batteries. Lots of power, a great discharge curve and light weight too.
Dave hit the nail on the head, though I might add that lipos can be used with any ESC's. If they have voltage cutoff built in, so much the better. If not then you'll need to invest in a low voltage cutoff device which can be bought from many online stores for less than or around $20. The LVC will prevent you from damaging your lipo battery due to over discharge.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:37 AM
selena1718

thank you all for your input i think im going to get lipos