Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Why are cars and trucks so small?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 06:54 PM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are cars and trucks so small?

Not many cars and trucks that are bigger than like 1/10 and 1/8. Why is that?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:47 PM
skeeter1255

Default RE: Why are cars and trucks so small?

well there are 1/5 and 1.4 scale that are huge but run on GAS and are 1000$ +++ but they look cool. but if they were more popular then club tracks would have to be whole lot bigger, or not race so many at once, plus not many can affor them so they dont make much...............

All this is in my opinion!!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:49 PM
jnev

because many people don't want to spend 1000+ just to get the car running. and because smaller cars are more durable.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:58 PM
RVM

I thought of those explanations, but look at the number of giant scale aircraft.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:00 PM
skeeter1255

ya well planes have to be big if they are small then u wont be able to see them in the sky so far away
Old 09-21-2006, 08:45 PM
125cchyperman

Well planes are a lot different. You can fly them hundreds of them at one time and still have enough air to put more up there. A track is only so big, you literally have the sky when you have planes that big. Plus they have clubs where they can fly. You also as far as I know need insurance on them to fly at those clubs. Just in case you forget to charge the batteries in your transmitter or receiver, or you have a run away just it would be a fly away. Most people that fly larger scale planes they are mostly older and have a ton more money to spend and lots of time to build them.

You can buy larger scale rc cars and trucks but you can not beat them like we do our 1/10th scale rc's. Plus you need a wide open area to run the, with relatively no holes in the ground and very ohh yeah a lot of room. As I said you have the hole sky as far as your plane can fly on the x y axis to go, when your flying a plane.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:57 PM
RVM

This makes sense. Is it that the general user of cars etc. are younger than those who play with aircraft?

ORIGINAL: 125cchyperman

Well planes are a lot different. You can fly them hundreds of them at one time and still have enough air to put more up there. A track is only so big, you literally have the sky when you have planes that big. Plus they have clubs where they can fly. You also as far as I know need insurance on them to fly at those clubs. Just in case you forget to charge the batteries in your transmitter or receiver, or you have a run away just it would be a fly away. Most people that fly larger scale planes they are mostly older and have a ton more money to spend and lots of time to build them.

You can buy larger scale rc cars and trucks but you can not beat them like we do our 1/10th scale rc's. Plus you need a wide open area to run the, with relatively no holes in the ground and very ohh yeah a lot of room. As I said you have the hole sky as far as your plane can fly on the x y axis to go, when your flying a plane.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:58 PM
RVM

The reason I ask is because I would one day like a car to race with, but I don't want to have a nice, big car if there is no one else with nice, big cars for me to race against.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:44 PM
125cchyperman

Room is the key here. With 1/10th and 1/8th scale vehicle you do not need a whole lot of room. With 1/5th and 1/4th scale you do. I have found many people that have owned or do own a 1/10 or 1/8th scale but never any one with a 1/5th or 1/4th scale. Plus I dont know how much you would be racing as racing usually mean abuse and the larger scale vehicles cant take as much abuse as the smaller scale vehicles can. Your going to be much more hard pres to find a larger scale vehicle then you will be to find a smaller vehicle.

And to race somebody you have to find somebody with one. I'm not going to say that you wont find someone but saying that you will have a better chance of finding someone with a smaller scale vehicle to race. Larger scale have the appeal but smaller scale has the masses.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:54 PM
125cchyperman

Oh I kinda skipped on a part.

I wouldn't say that everybody that drives a small scale is young but there are a ton of the young guns that are driving smaller scale. The people that are older some simply don't have the space in there house for larger scale, there wife doesn't want something that big and messy in the garage or in the house. Something that expensive when they could have something cheaper and smaller. Plus the fact that these are what most people that are new to the hobby buy. And a lot of people don't like change as in jumping from a small scale to a large scale. Because they might not like it.

I mean I could ramble on and on about what some theories are about why there are not as many larger scale vehicles around. But there arent. I think the size, the amount of money to just get one, the room you need to run one and the room in the house to store one are more then likely the big ones.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:14 AM
Philster

Supply and Demand.

If people wanted large scale, manufacturers would produce more. Generally, as a product gets more expensive, the demand drops. So, when you look at RC cars as the product, the more expensive they get, the less demand there is...so less are in your neighborhood, town, etc.

$300 to$400 1/8 TMaxxes are everywhere. $900 1/8 Mugens and Serpents are more rare, because of the cost. Take 1/5 scale vehicles that are $1,500 with parts that cost hundreds, and it explains why they are not common.

At $1500, that is 3-4 times the cost of a common RC vehicle. It is like owning a $30,000 Ford F150, then wondering why there are so many F150 trucks around, and not that many Ferrari 360 Modenas around.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:20 AM
RVM

I didn't realize the price jumped like that on cars.

Same with aircraft - tons of .60 - 1.20 size aircraft, averaging anywhere from $500-$1200 to get in the air. Then there are quite a few 25%-29%, averaging about $1400-$2400 to get in the air...

ORIGINAL: Philster

Supply and Demand.

If people wanted large scale, manufacturers would produce more. Generally, as a product gets more expensive, the demand drops. So, when you look at RC cars as the product, the more expensive they get, the less demand there is...so less are in your neighborhood, town, etc.

$300 to$400 1/8 TMaxxes are everywhere. $900 1/8 Mugens and Serpents are more rare, because of the cost. Take 1/5 scale vehicles that are $1,500 with parts that cost hundreds, and it explains why they are not common.

At $1500, that is 3-4 times the cost of a common RC vehicle. It is like owning a $30,000 Ford F150, then wondering why there are so many F150 trucks around, and not that many Ferrari 360 Modenas around.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:10 AM
splcrazy

ive got two revos 3.3 and would like to have a monster truck that is more bigger than this im prepared to pay the extra big bux needed do they make large scale monster trucks i would love to own a monster truck that is really high and got huge chunky wheels
Old 09-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Philster

Here's a 1/5 beauty for $1400.

http://www.largescalerc.com/FGMonsterHummer.html

40 bucks for the receiver battery, almost as much as my full size car battery.

128 bucks for front brakes. I paid less for my full size car brakes.

170 for a tuned pipe. Just replaced my wife's entire Jetta exhaust for 200.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:01 PM
zephar123

there also dangerous if you get hit by a 1/4 scale your dead!
Old 09-22-2006, 03:20 PM
RVM

That's really not much different than an aircraft would cost, and durability of an aircraft is about the same. I guess you might bump into more stuff on the ground, but then, I would say to drive more carefully. [8D]

I was looking at cars for a lot of the day and they aren't really that different in price from my aircraft - in fact in some respects it is cheaper. I'm surprised the market isn't there, because it definitely exists for 25%+ aircraft in a big way. I know a lot of people who don't flinch at spending $2500-$3000 on a 33% aircraft ($1300 for the engine alone, $220 for cans, $200 in batteries, $120 servos (6 required, etc.) that will most likely be nothing but splinters at the first mistake (read: contact with the ground in a way other than landing).

As far as tracks go... you can find 30 acre fields to fly on, I'm sure there are 30 acre fields to drive on, at least for offroad type vehicles.

I just don't want to dirve a 1/8 scale car. They're so tiny - I like 'em big!

Maybe I should start a 25% racing league or something.

ORIGINAL: Philster

Here's a 1/5 beauty for $1400.

http://www.largescalerc.com/FGMonsterHummer.html

40 bucks for the receiver battery, almost as much as my full size car battery.

128 bucks for front brakes. I paid less for my full size car brakes.

170 for a tuned pipe. Just replaced my wife's entire Jetta exhaust for 200.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:21 PM
RVM

Get hit by a .40 size plane (about 1/8 scale) and you're probably dead too. Not to mention the spinning props...

ORIGINAL: zephar123

there also dangerous if you get hit by a 1/4 scale your dead!
Old 09-22-2006, 03:24 PM
RVM

What about tanks? Are there any 25%+ Abrams running around? That would be sweet. Nothing turned up on a search. I think it's broken again.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:26 PM
RVM

Now this is what I'm talking about! It would probably even resemble a real F1 in sound because of the high-revving 2-stroke.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:54 PM
125cchyperman

Thats F1 car is pretty cool. I love F1 and just about anything having to do with it. To bad, that it's played at like 5 am and 6 am in the morning here on sundays. But never the less Thats definately kool, even the suspension looks like the real 1/1 scale. But it does look more like the Mercedes/McLaren F1 and Im more of a ferrari fan but still cool. Now all it need's is carbon fiber and carbon-carbon suspension parts along with everything else and it would be even better. But still it is very cool though.

Ps. yes for those who dont know carbon-carbon is actually real. I didnt make it up in my head.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:57 PM
BAMF90
My Feedback: (1)

If RC cars/trucks were bigger, then they would be no fun. You wouldn't be able to bash em(too heavy). And you wouldn't be able to race em(too big). My dad's friend just got an FG Monster Truck, but I am yet to see it. I think they look cool and all, but they would just not be as fun.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:11 PM
hands without shadows

$300 to$400 1/8 TMaxxes are everywhere.
Maxxes are 1/10th scale.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:39 PM
RVM

I'm with you 100%!

ORIGINAL: 125cchyperman

Thats F1 car is pretty cool. I love F1 and just about anything having to do with it. To bad, that it's played at like 5 am and 6 am in the morning here on sundays. But never the less Thats definately kool, even the suspension looks like the real 1/1 scale. But it does look more like the Mercedes/McLaren F1 and Im more of a ferrari fan but still cool. Now all it need's is carbon fiber and carbon-carbon suspension parts along with everything else and it would be even better. But still it is very cool though.

Ps. yes for those who dont know carbon-carbon is actually real. I didnt make it up in my head.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:14 PM
bozla

[link=http://www.molzermoweryracing.com/movies/theshoe071705.wmv]F1 racing at the shoe![/link]
Old 09-23-2006, 12:53 AM
Timmahh
Banned

ok, i have to differ with MANY of the posts here on a few counts.

first and formost Gassers are NOT less fun than nitros. different, and imho, much more fun for many reasons. Most gassers would only need about 1/4 of a track size larger to run. so extra room is minimal. now the gas factor here in the states is much less than it is in europe. so sanctioned racing is not as popular yet here in the us, but pretty much rules in the rest of the world except maybe the orient. i stress the word yet. gassers do command more respect becuz they are bigger and can cause more damage if someone or something was hit with one. but thats common sence with ANY rc. not just these big gassers.

i have 2 1/5th gassers and 6 nitros 2 electrics and an assortment of planes and boats and a nitro Heli.

my 1/5ths are a HPI Baja 5B and a Bergonzoni Brave 2 with a Porche 911 T body.

i was about to go with an FG Marder or MT until i found the Baja, im glad i did, it has been a blast to drive.

im into gallon number 4. it runs about an hr per tank, and just over 5 tanks per gallon ( so about 5 hrs run time ) for the miesly cost of 3.00 per gallon of fuel. ive been beating this MUCH harder and more continuesly than any of the nitro MTs i or people i know have owned. I have HAD to buy about 0.00 in parts to fix things. i have parts in my box since day one, but have yet to actually use anything. I have had to modify a few things and i have added a few items to improve the out of the box item, but i did not need to.
upgrades i have are a 4200Mah battery Pack, about 6 hrs run per charge. Xcan exhaust, Much better than stock. Metal gears for the steering servo. pre filter and prefilter bag, gotta keep that motor CLEAN. throatle servo, im going to be adding front disc brakes in the near future. thats it. none were needed but were things i wanted for various reasons. the last upgrade i have done is with the radio system. i went with a spektrum.

now as far as durability, i cant speak for the other large scale off roads. but the baja is OUTFRAKINGSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! case in point. decided to build a 1/5 track. had 12 yard piles of sand dumped out back. piles were about 6 ft tall and approx 12 ft in diameter. we were jumping them for about 10 days before the dozer got here to level it off. my neighbors and i all have bajas. we burnt thru about 1.5 gallons each jumping the hills and bashing on and off them. the ONLY issues were one bent shock shaft, and one brokeng shock shaft. both warrenteed!, and a stripped gear in one of the steering servos. also warrenteed!

when im done for the day i shut it off and toss it in the shed. no afterrun maintenance needed. the only thing i do is once a week<if im running every day> i ll wd 40 it. let it set in the sun for an hr. and use the compressor to blow it off. clean my pre filters once a week.

i have spent in 4 gallons a Maximun of 10 minutes tuning time.

and if your a heavey rcer, and burn alot of fuel a yr. then the whole price differance goes right out the window.

i did a brake down in another thread a few months back
if you were to burn 1 gallon a week, it would be like this

52 gallons of nitro at 27.00/ gallon is 1404.00 per year, tax not included
52 gallons of gas mix at 3.00/gallon is 156.00 per year, tax on oil mix not included.
thats 1,248 per year differance. that buys the Baja and the Spektrum radio.

even at a gallon every 2 weeks, its 702 per year on nitro and 78 on nitro. that 1/2 the cost of the baja per year.

the parts typically arnt as much as people think, at least for the baja. only slightly higher by about 10 to 15%.

i have spent 200.00 in 3 months on nitro items for ONE MT i have spent 20 40 bux for the Baja. i have put probably 20 hrs on the baja and 4 hrs on the nitro, most of which was spent tuning or restarting.

once you got a gasser, the nitros really loose all interest. and once you make the right choice and buy a Baja 5B, you really see what a 1/5th is really all about.
so for those of you that want to wear blinders and deny these facts ive stated. go read the giant scale forums, you ll find MANY peeps that are coming into gassers from nitros and they Couldnt be happier about there decisions. if you want strait information, great info and vids on the Baja and the Real Deal between nitros and a Baja, check out the hpibajaforum.COMe on over and read the real information that will confirm EVERYTHING i have stated.

My other 1/5 is an ONROAD. i have an engine problem. something got on the piston and beat it up with the ring and head. price to fix is going ot be about 100.00, and thats getting my parts from Europe becuz the Bergonzoni is an Italian Product with no US Support at the moment. this motor will put out over 4 hp at 18,000 rpm stock. add porting and a tuned pipe and its over 7hp. sure a nitro will wind 30000 rpms but hold it for 600 ft lap after lap and you ll be replaceing an engine per day of play.
imo, nitros are fun and excitign, but also expensive and alot of care, maintence, work and fustration. i ve literaly had no fustration levels with the Baja, wish i could say the same for most the nitros ive had or used or seen run. if the same issue happened to my baja, cost to fix would be less than 30.00.

jm2c on this beat topic.
Timmahh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.