Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Newbie looking for nitro or electric 4wd

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Newbie looking for nitro or electric 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Druss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for nitro or electric 4wd

As the title says, I'm looking for suggestions. I've got 3 electric on road cars and 8 helis (both electric and nitro) so i'm not really concerned over what the propulsion system is.

What I want is:

4WD
Buggy
Truggy (I assume this is some exotic blend of truck/buggy?)
Fast
Takes a lot of punishment
1:10 or 1:8 scale

What I don't want is:

monster truck
2WD
cheap product (this is relative i know)

I already have a spektrum DX3 so I don't really need another radio either so a AAR or Kit would be best. My budget is $500 to $750 if you can convince me it's worth that. I read through the whole "clone" thread and I personally don't have a problem with clones (probably comes from my experience with the number of clones in RC helis) but I don't want anything that's going to fall apart on me.

I've read through the forums here but don't want to bias anything so let me know what you think....

I also have about 10 11.1v lipos so if I can use those (on any electrics) that would be a plus.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Newbie looking for nitro or electric 4wd

Check out the Hellfire by HPI, or the Losi 8ight series. I think you'll like those.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 AM
supamagician

well i am a beginner in rc aswell so i dont know lots but i think the losi speed-t looks super sweet its electric and goes 65 mph out of the box

http://losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0101
Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Druss

Thanks for the reply, I do want to make the note that I won't be running these on a track of any sort (either paved or dirt), it will mostly be run on grass, snow, construction areas... etc.

The speed t looks interesting but also looks like it's designed for on road, I'm more interested in off road, actually mostly for running it in the snow during the long winters here.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 AM
JMcDonald

I say you buy a 1/8 buggy rolling chassis and convert it to electric. All you'd need is an ESC and motor since you already have tons of good batteries.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6952
This would be a good rolling chassis to start with. Overall Im quite pleased with its durability and handling, especially for its price.

If you buy that, that would leave you quite a bit of money for some nice electronics like this ESC:
http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...MM160183sHCS01

And a motor like this:
http://www.rc-monster.com/brushlessmotors.p

(This is what Id use, but the Neu motors are better to some degree)
http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...540C_XL&cat=20

With that 8XL motor, the MGM ESC, and the Turmoil buggy, you are looking at only about $600 including the other things like motor mount and gears.

That is what Id do.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Druss

Hey J, thanks for the info. While I'm pretty good with my hands I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge of converting anything. What I'll probably do is get something 1:10 electric and then jump into a 1:8 nitro later but wanted to know what was considered the best for my price range.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Furadi

ORIGINAL: Druss

Hey J, thanks for the info. While I'm pretty good with my hands I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge of converting anything. What I'll probably do is get something 1:10 electric and then jump into a 1:8 nitro later but wanted to know what was considered the best for my price range.
Well, if your going to be bashing I would stay from 1/10 period unless you want an MT. Your best bet would be some sort of truggy. With your price range your choices are pretty much limitless. afaik the Hyper ST or Thunder tiger would be more ideal for bashing as there built tough. 8ight-t's on the other hand are built strictly for racing and can't take as much of a beating.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:08 PM
JMcDonald

From what Ive seen there is a pretty big jump up in solidity and capability between 1/10 buggies and 1/8 buggies. Still, I would like some electric 4WD vehicle (whether I convert my old GS Storm, or buy a 1/10 buggy, or even go with a mini), though it will be a while before Im willing to spend enough money to get an electric that is comparitively as fun to drive as my 1/8 buggy.

www.RCProductDesigns.com (click on the conversion and 1/8 scale links).
They don't anything for the Turmoil, but these guys make conversion parts. You can get conversion parts for the Hyper 7 which I think is just as good a budget buggy.

You can get the Hyper 7 kit here for abut $250:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJLE8&P=7

Also, if you want to save quite a bit on the electric parts you might look into a Mamba Max system or a VXL system. I know everyone won't agree, but by the numbers it should do just fine. They probably won't be beasts on the 3S batteries you have (and wouldnt be able to handle two of them at once), but they should still be pretty fun. If nothing else, you can mount two 11.1v batteries in parallel (for the same voltage but twice the mAh) and have lots of juice and runtime.
They are cheapest from ebay:
<link removed>
Here's a VXL system:
<link removed>
Id personally go with the VXL system as it seems to be able to handle more current and is simpler (which IMO is better for just bashing).

Though, now that I think of it in the 8ight vs E-8ight RCU article, the E-8ight on only 11.1v (two 2200 packs in parallel for 4400 total) was still more powerful than the 8ight with the V-Spec engine.
Article:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=953

Edit: Linking to auctions in this manner is not allowed per [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_377662/tm.htm]RCU Community Rules[/link].

Old 03-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

As the title says, I'm looking for suggestions. I've got 3 electric on road cars and 8 helis (both electric and nitro) so i'm not really concerned over what the propulsion system is.

What I want is:

4WD
Buggy
Truggy (I assume this is some exotic blend of truck/buggy?)
Fast
Takes a lot of punishment
1:10 or 1:8 scale

What I don't want is:

monster truck
2WD
cheap product (this is relative i know)

I already have a spektrum DX3 so I don't really need another radio either so a AAR or Kit would be best. My budget is $500 to $750 if you can convince me it's worth that. I read through the whole "clone" thread and I personally don't have a problem with clones (probably comes from my experience with the number of clones in RC helis) but I don't want anything that's going to fall apart on me.

I've read through the forums here but don't want to bias anything so let me know what you think....

I also have about 10 11.1v lipos so if I can use those (on any electrics) that would be a plus.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Wait a bit, Cen is releasing a new car in a month or 2 the Cen ME10-TR is a 4wd 1/10 scale stadium truck and its electric so you can easily put a brushless system in it and smoke nitro's on the track or have some sweet high speed bashing sessions. I plan ok picking one up when they come out aswell.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:00 PM
brettkrupa

I would definatly go with the losi 8ight.....you sure you dont want a truck eh? I have tons of fun with my aftershock.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: brettkrupa

I would definatly go with the losi 8ight.....you sure you dont want a truck eh? I have tons of fun with my aftershock.
if your bashing dont go with the 8ight it sits way to low for bashing.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Druss

I think the 8ight looks great but not sure it has the clearance to run in snow. I might have to go with a truck instead but I don't really like the look of it. A nice high riding truggy might be best.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:05 AM
quadzilla122

Take a look at this one: http://teamxray.com/teamxray/m_intro...9bdc109f5296c3
Old 03-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Druss

How are the xrays for durability?

I think i've narrowed down my choice to the following:

HPI MT2
Traxxas Rustler VXL
Traxxas Jato 3.3
8ight buggy kit
TT 1/8 ST
Hellfire (bit more than I want to spend)

I know some aren't 4wd but I'm having trouble finding one I like.

The associated B44 also looks good but only as a track racer, I also don't like the battery set up as I can't get a lipo in there. How about the Tamiya Durga DB01?
Old 03-23-2008, 11:31 PM
jumpanddrop

How are the xrays for durability?

I think i've narrowed down my choice to the following:

HPI MT2
Traxxas Rustler VXL
Traxxas Jato 3.3
8ight buggy kit
TT 1/8 ST
Hellfire (bit more than I want to spend)

I know some aren't 4wd but I'm having trouble finding one I like.

The associated B44 also looks good but only as a track racer, I also don't like the battery set up as I can't get a lipo in there. How about the Tamiya Durga DB01?
ok i have the mt2 and it takes alot of beating, i dont know much about truggys but thats the way to go over buggys for duability
Old 03-23-2008, 11:33 PM
jumpanddrop

why dont you want a MT????
Old 03-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Druss

is there a reason to choose the older MT vs the MT2?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Dokioto

Can't go worng with the 8ight..

Theres nothing like bashing a 1/8 scale buggy
Old 03-24-2008, 01:11 AM
jumpanddrop

is there a reason to choose the older MT vs the MT2?
sorry, i ment MT as in Monster Truck. lol. ya if you looking to spend that kind of money, 1/8 are the way to go. i was just wondering why you dont want a monster truck.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:07 AM
J.D.T

the mt from hpi is not nearly as good, most of them guys convert to mt2 arms and gears and such, if you go mt2 don't get the rtr version, the ss + kit version is the way to go, I converted it to bl electric, but even as a smoker its a very tough truck, here is a link or two for socals bashing of a mt2 along side a savage which is known to be one of the toughest monster trucks around.

http://www.beatyourtruck.com/beatings3.html

it will bash a little better than an 1/8 scale buggy imo as its not so heavy
Old 03-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Druss

I'm just no interested in the moster truck look, no offense to those who like them but the truggies or buggies just appeal to me more.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Druss

Well, just as an FYI to those who took the time to answer my question here I'll let you guys know what I got....

I couldn't decide so I ended up getting a new Tamiya Durga (because I love to build), a used TT ST-1 for bashing, an almost new Ofna violator 9.5 and an currently trying to trade my Hurricane EP550 heli for an almost new Losi Muggy.

When I decide to do something I guess I don't really go halfway...
Old 06-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Matt_Gruizinga
My Feedback: (1)

have you thought about an electric revo? once you get some stuff upgraded they are solid!! and it's a monster truck/truggy mix, and yes i did ready you didn't want a monster truck. if i were in your position......i would buy an 1/18 and max it out......dreams......but it's not my money
Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Druss

I've looked at the revo but not too interested. If I was to get an electric (besides the Durga I already have) it would be the Rustler VXL, B44 or 501X.

I do have a lot of lipos and I bought a VXL esc/motor that I'm going to try in my Durga.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Bcolici

Druss are you looking for new or used?Im looking to sell my Ofna Pirate 10 Buggy converted to a truck its older but the price may be right .PM me for details

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.