Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Dragonfly Spinning very fast!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Dragonfly Spinning very fast!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 04:38 PM
mark3000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragonfly Spinning very fast!

Hi,

Just bought a Dragonfly and have been flying a couple of times. As i am very much a beginner to helis I got an experienced flyer to take it up first and all seemed fine. Everyhting was still ok when i flew it yesturday.

Today when i took it out to fly as it left the ground the tail whipped round to the left and kept spinning - getting very fast!

I landed and checked everyhting over and could see nothing wrong. I have the direct drive (no tail motor) dragonfly.

On the next flight the same thing happened again even with full rudder on (which i believe should have corrected this).

If anyone has any suggestions as to what could be wrong please let me know as am very keen to get flying again!

Thanks

Mark
Old 12-05-2004, 04:45 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Dragonfly Spinning very fast!

I have the direct drive (no tail motor) dragonfly.
first, just a correction of terminology... direct drive means you have a motor tail with the prop on the motor. most micros with the exception of the hornet, shogun, trex?, have motor driven tails of some sort, either direct drive (DD) or geared. the other type is shaft/belt drive, in which case the heli only has one motor total, and the one that spins the main rotors also spins the tail.

anyway, spinning uncontrollably is almost always a symptom of the gyro mounted backwards...
Old 12-05-2004, 04:50 PM
mark3000

Sorry! i meant shaft drive! (just highlights the point that i am a beginner!)

The Heli came ready built and it flew ok for the first 2 flights. If after that it could be the gyro mounted backwards... what do i do to correct it?? The gyro as all in one with the reciever/esc etc..

thnaks for your help

Mark
Old 12-05-2004, 08:34 PM
R-Rudder

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Drag...2380859/tm.htm

I believe it's a mechanical issue more than an electrical issue.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:43 AM
himagain

ORIGINAL: mark3000

Hi,

Just bought a Dragonfly and have been flying a couple of times. As i am very much a beginner to helis I got an experienced flyer to take it up first and all seemed fine. Everyhting was still ok when i flew it yesturday.

Today when i took it out to fly as it left the ground the tail whipped round to the left and kept spinning - getting very fast!

I landed and checked everyhting over and could see nothing wrong. I have the direct drive (no tail motor) dragonfly.

On the next flight the same thing happened again even with full rudder on (which i believe should have corrected this).

If anyone has any suggestions as to what could be wrong please let me know as am very keen to get flying again!

Thanks

Mark

I've experiened this problem..... Its mechanical. The gears on the tail rotor are slipping, it still spins but when you need power the gears slip. The rear gear box position controls the gear meshing. I moved and epoxy'd the gear box forward 1mm and the problem has gone

Hope this helps

David
Old 01-25-2005, 12:15 PM
neilwillis

Hi,

Not sure if it?s been said before, but I had the same problem with mine.

It would start to spin to the right (tail moving anit-clockwise) when I tried to take off. This was due to not enough force from the tail to counteract the torque from the main blades. The reason was the rod that drives the tail was faulty/broken. At the front of the drive rod where the cog spins on the main gear it was just spinning and not turning the rod enough. If you can move the main blades and hold the tail blades still then this is the problem. I purchased a new drive rod and and new cog (although this was fine and not broken).

One other thing it can be is if the gear housing for the tail has moved back a little. If you have knocked/landed hard it can move back and there is not the same amount of drive to the tail. I just undid the screws and cracked it open dropped a few blobs of CA glue into it can slid it on towards the heli as far as I could.

If you are in Europe then the best place to get parts is from Skyline Models This 22D is a rip-off of the MS Hornet and ALL parts are the same. I have purchased a few parts and all have been with me next day (i am in the UK)

I hope this helps anyone who has this problem. Feel free to email me if you need further explanation.

Cheers

Neil