Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

TF C47

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 08:25 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF C47

I am considering building the TF C47. Has anyone built this bird. I would use saito .56 4 strokes for power.

Any recommendations pro / con. Retracts also,, please add your input if you have used them.

How does it fly? and landing techniques. Thanks.. not new to multi's Jim
Old 04-22-2005, 08:56 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: TF C47

Jim,

I don't know about the C47 but I have the Saito 56's in my VQ A-26 and they are the sweetest engines you ever heard and are very reliable.

R/C Foolish
Old 04-22-2005, 09:34 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am flying mine with the OS .40LA engines and 10 x 6 three balde props. Even with the 3 blade props it has plenty of power. I also used the Robart retracts made for the plane. They work fine and I have had no problem with them. They do not have any shock absorbing ability other than what the tires provide-landings have to be greased in. The plane is an excellent flyer. Some rudder input required for take offs as is normal for tail draggers, but not as much as some Cubs I've flown. Landings-you fly it to the runway under power, land on the mains and let the tail settle. In a head wind, it will slow up on you and want to stall if you let it. I also built the flaps on mine but don't use them, they are simply not needed other than for appearance. Looks cool to taxi out and in with them down. They are worth the extra trouble to put in just for the looks. Same with the rudder. You can build it simple or build the scale rudder. Definitely worth the extra evening or two it takes to build it scale. I frankly thought it was one of the best kits I've ever built-great plans and clear instructions.
Randy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86560.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	261618  
Old 04-24-2005, 07:57 AM
jimcork1

Thanks for the info.. I have two La. 46's and they run well,, but not inverted. I tried inverted in my Nobler and never could get reliable idle/transition. Upright and horiz. they were ok. Don't know what is going on inverted. My guess is the small crankcase volume is allowing raw fuel to enter the combustion chamber and load it up.

I removed the La. 46 from the nobler and installed a new Saito .56.. It ran so well inverted that after 10 minutes I took it to the field. Great flying ever since. The reliablity issue is why I was looking to Saito.

Are the Robart retracts,, air operated or servo. Just wondering.. I haven't build a air retract system since the Super Kaos in 1973.

Thanks again.. Jim
Old 04-24-2005, 07:59 AM
jimcork1

Randy,, what paint did you use? I used the same color scheme on my C130 and used Behr house paint. I think (can't prove) that the house paint is a bit heavy.. Also,, did you weigh your completed bird and how was the weight to the advertised weight. Thanks again.. Jim
Old 04-24-2005, 09:38 AM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My engines are put in horizontal. If I had it to do again, I'd put them about 30 degrees above horizontal. You have to use a real short glow igniter to get to the one engine.
I haven't run any inverted engines for years. Just had too much trouble with them putting out the fire at idle speeds. On board ignition I guess would solve that.
The retracts are air operated. That's all I've ever used. Apparently I've been lucky. Talked to lots of people that has had problems with them.
I covered mine with worldtex and Champion spray camo paint. Worked well.
Randy
Old 04-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out this great link on a TF C-47 construction and video:

http://www.rcdon.com/html/ec-47n__dc-3__project.html