Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

ignition noise (glitch)

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

ignition noise (glitch)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Mikem1234
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition noise (glitch)

i have a zenoah 20ei and it makes my rx glitch (spectrum ar6000) from ignition noise threw my throttle servo i wraped the spark plug wire in electrical tape and put a rf noise filter on the servo wire it worked fine for a bit so i put plane in the air...well it did it again... plane is history (courage 90)... but need to know how to fix for my next one...some help please...the spark plug wire and servo were on opposite sides of the fuse..
Old 02-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ignition noise (glitch)

Hi Mikem123,

Does the ei indicate electronic ignition? The following has worked for me with electronic ignition motors. My experience of magneto ignition RF is zilch.

If so make sure you are:

Using a plug with a resistor that is the letter "R" in its' model type.
Using a plug cap that is a good fit.
Keeping ignition battery, wiring etc as far away as possible from the RX and associated wiring. Ignition components usually on or inside engine box with RX components in fuse around or aft of the CoG.
Keeping the throttle servo and lead away from the ignition electronics. Use a "golden rod" or similar non ferrous control rod to run adjacent to the ignition electonics etc.
Sure there isn't any metal to metal contact in the throttle linkages.
Running an earth wire from the body of the electronic ignition box to the motor (usually an engine bolt). Don't forget to ensure there is a good contact by removing some paint form the ignition box if necessary.

These measures together with what you described should see you "good to go".

Don't forget to test the effectiveness of these anti-glitch measures via a range check with motor running.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 02-03-2008, 05:48 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

First, if you're using a DX-6 radio and an AR-6000 Rx, they are rated ONLY for park flyers. If you're flying a plane with a G-20, it ain't a park flyer. The AR-6000 does not have the range required for larger planes or the dual redundancy of the AR-6100 or 6200. It could be a combination of being at the limit of the Rx range, and "blanking" of the receiver from the transmitter's signal path by that big chunk of engine that is causing your "glitching".

Second, I don't think you're getting interference through the receiver. My guess, if it isn't what I stated above, is induced current directly through the servo lead from the magnetic field around the spark plug lead. Where exactly was the servo and servo lead in relation to the spark plug, plug wire and ignition module, and just in case, how far from the engine was the receiver?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Mikem1234
My Feedback: (6)

thanks guys the rx is the ar6100 and tx dx7, ... the spark plug wire was about 4'' from throttle servo and the rx was about 6'' fron ignition box, i did a range test got in my truck and drove down the road,no problems, did one more quick check and put it in the air every was good and then darkness came, it left me with no control and the throttle went wide open... i almost needed a shovel lol, what would be a good cheap plane for what i have
thanks again Mike
Old 02-03-2008, 10:46 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

deleted by poster
Old 02-04-2008, 03:12 PM
cyclops2

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am going to 2 nd guess with this statement.

Plane is OK close in ? Craps out at greater distances ?

Why only THAT servo. Should be all of them acting up if it is a range problem.

All our RC receivers & servos are supposed to be DIGITAL-- not VARYING amplitude, old style analog.

I would trash THAT servo.

Rich
Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 PM
crashproof

Actually I would be willing to bet most Servos in Planes are infact not Digital. Kevin.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:10 AM
jeff naul
My Feedback: (16)

hey guy's i just went through this too with a g-22 converted to e.i. we fought it all day at the field, we removed the module, battery and switch and set on the table out of the airplane, ran motor still got hit. removed the brass golden rod although it had plastic ball ends, still got hit. pulled antenna out of tube in fuse, was able to get farther but still got hit. unplugged every servo but throttle, still got hit! changed reciever, still got hit! got pissed and threw it all in the trailer. next week remounted everything like i had it but changed to plastic pushrod, still got hit. removed battery and switch again and held outside of fire wall, finally got 100 feet or so before i got hit. don't make sense, the week before i had everything out the plane and got hit, this week just the battery and switch made the difference! what gives? oh well bought p.c.m. reciever in hopes to cover it up! jeff
Old 02-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All the radio system should be a foot away from the motor and ign system. Wonder if it lost batt connection as it should have gone into low throttle failsafe.