Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Just painted my plane with Krylon Camo--what to clear with-in->

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Just painted my plane with Krylon Camo--what to clear with-in->

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 12:16 AM
jnaarnold
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just painted my plane with Krylon Camo--what to clear with-in->

Whats durable and affordable that people are using? And, is it something I can get locally. The paints on the plane are flat would like a semi-gloss or satin clear. What is fuel-proof?? Thanks
more pictures...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_18...tm.htm#1876639
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19126.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	140888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70969.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	140889  
Old 06-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Just painted my plane with Krylon Camo--what to clear with-in->

Try one of the urethane sprays that's available at the local Home Depot or Lowes. They are available in high and satin gloss levels. You may also want to look at some of the water based polyurethanes. If you are using a spray gun, look at the Nelson water based paints. They work extremely well. Nelsonhobby.com/newsite and go from there.

Good looking plane.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:17 PM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

Now here's a confusing subject. I have been trying to find a flat or satin clear coat for my PT-19, and the opinions on RCU vary GREATLY on what is fuelproof, and what isn't. I am currently testing Minwax Polyurethane Clear (think its oil based-black and gold can), AutoColor clear and Krylon acrylic satin for how they withstand fuel. I'll post the results and hope it helps.

BTW very nice Typhoon! Love that scoop!
Old 06-11-2004, 06:45 PM
jnaarnold

I used Engine enamel clear...takes five days to dry, I live where it's about 20% humidity....It's supposed to be resistant to all types of petroleum....I quess we'll see. You're right, it's a tough choice. Here's a shot with the clear....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94570.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	142212  
Old 06-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MinWax PolyCrylic is fuel resistant to 10% nitro. It may be good for more, but I run 10%. I spray 2 coats of it on.

On a test panel, I poured raw fuel on it and left it for 24 hours. The poly was a little soft after 24 hours, but it had not gone through to the paint. On my painte4d planes I have had no problems after over a year of use.

The MinWax PolyCrylic is available in flat, satin, semi gloss and gloss. I add 1 - 1 1/2 caps of Flotrol to an undiluted quart, then thin for spraying. DO NOT USE WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID FOR THINNING !!! It WILL tint the poly blue. Use water and a SMALL drop of liquid soap for thinning (I ususally thin about 1 quart at a time).

The other option is either UltraCote clear or LusterKote clear.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:01 PM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

I tested Krylon acrylic satin and it is 100% fuelproof over acrylic paint for at least 72 hours to 15% nitro Omega. Both the paint and the clearcoat were allowed 72 hrs to dry at 72 degrees ambient with low humidity in my basement. The Minwax Polycrilic in the black and gold can was not completely fuelproof under the same conditions, meaning when I ran a white cloth over the test area, the paint beneath the clearcoat smeared on to the cloth. The automotive clearcoat from Wal-mart was a joke.

I had read here on RCU a while back that Krylon acrylic clear satin was in fact fuelproof, and now I believe it. I also read that Minwax Polycrilic (the one not water-based) was fuelproof, and I also read that it was not. Now I know it is not. I'm not paying $7.99 a can for Lustrekote. The Krylon is much cheaper and readily available at Wal-mart.

The prices we are charged for hobby materials is ridiculous, so I always try to find a more cost-effective alternative.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:12 PM
jnaarnold

Great news!!!!!! That is why these forums are so great, thanks for the info, I will pass the news along.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:20 AM
maverickflyer

If you don't mind the cost go with PPG paints. I have used the concept line and you can go gloss or flat (with a flatner added). You can't beat these paints as they are fuel proof and durable. Again, they are not cheap but if you are putting much effor into a project I would not go with anything else.