Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Carbon Fiber Landing Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 09:53 PM
BobbyRichardson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Landing Gear

Guys, I'm looking for some carbon Fiber landing gear that you can see the carbon Fiber weave to install on my Wildhare Edge 28%. I can find the plan carbon fiber gear without the weave but i'm having trouble finding the carbon fiber weave.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:00 PM
scottfl78

Default RE: Carbon Fiber Landing Gear

TNT might me what you are looking for.. CLG-215 60$ should be the one.. http://tntlandinggear.com/store/shop...nding_gear.htm
Old 01-09-2005, 10:26 PM
FreedomFlier
My Feedback: (8)

http://www.graphtechrc.com/

Sent mine back due to delaminating...twice... even tried their new “3D Weave" [sm=punching.gif] Landing in cross wind (crabbed) is hard on them apparently.

Wild Hare Fiberglass unit is 1oz heavier, but much more robust.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:23 AM
cajunhemi

try troybuilt models
Old 01-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Troybuilt and TnT both market the Graphtec C/F gear. There has been quite a history of delaminations with that product, mine included. It was orginally produced for a smaller version of the aircraft, and is substantially smaller that the gear provided by Wild Hare.

BTW, Graphtec will replace delaminated gear that has failed due to either workmanship of material defects.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:30 AM
Rockyaged

I agree with Silversurfer... Graphtech landing gear will de-laminate.
Better idea is to go the the Fiberglass landing that Wild Hare sells.

Gerald
Old 01-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried the Supergear carbon fiber gear? They look nice and have an airfoiled shape. They list a Wildhare Extra LX model at 5.5 oz. I haven't heard any pros or cons.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:29 AM
BobbyRichardson

I just ordered the Graph TECH main and tail gear for the WH Edge. Mike said he's only have a problem with about 2% of the gear he's sold.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:21 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually believe that Graphtec has trouble with a small percentage of their gears. The same is true for our gears, we have a lot that are great and a few that fail inthe first few flights, which we replace if asked.

Apparently making composite parts is not an exact science and there are a few failures in each batch which cannot be detected in advance.

TF
Old 01-13-2005, 07:05 AM
cajunhemi

My Graphtech gear is taller and a little wider than my stock alum gear.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:14 PM
I NICOL

I manufacture glass and carbon U/C for my own range of scale earobatic models and would be happy to quote a price for your requirements.

Send me details of the dimensions required.

Yours faithfully

Iain Nicol
Proprietor

www.iadmodeldesigns.co.uk
Old 01-27-2005, 09:04 AM
cajunhemi

FYI... My CF gear took a 3-4 foot drop the other day when my DA died on me in a harrier. No damage to the gear just broke the wheel pants. Alum gear would have bent for sure. Keeping my fingers crossed but so far so good with the graphtech gear.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:44 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

You can do what you want, but I would forget the TNT "type" CF landing gear, I have had two delaminate in the past year and don't believe anything the company says about their 2%. Just read all the delam posts on RCU. they may be OK for very light planes, but otherwise bumpkis.

I believe you are much better off with tom's fiberglass gear or a gear like the SuperGear.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:17 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Copied from the Support Forum Guidelines:

If you want to hear opinions from fellow RCU members post it in the proper discussion forum.

If you have a question, need help with a part or problem and need to talk to a company representative, this is the place.

If you are a member and have answers to a question being ask in the support forums, send the person an email or private message.

If you are a support forum host or company representative, keep the information to support related topics only.

Please refrain from promotional material as defined in the Community Policies

Post are subject to removal if they do not meet guideline and policy requirements.

Eric
Old 02-14-2005, 07:45 PM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Wow, has anyone gotten a set of the SuperGear CF landing gear for the WH 28% Extra or Edge? I looked at their site and this is fantastic...at least if all of what they say is true!

Please give testimonials if you know of anyone that has this gear. Was it as strong as they say? They say on their website that it "will not delaminate." The price is $55 plus $8 for shipping. I am very tempted to be the one that tests these things out if no one else has tried them.

Here's the specs on the gear:

17" wide, 8-1/2" tall, 6" fuselage base width, 1-1/4" from front to back where they attach to the fuselage, 5.7 oz. without Dubro Axles

I guess I'll have to weigh my Dubro Axles to see how they compare with the Fiberglass gear, 9.2 oz WITH Dubro Axles, or the Graphtec CF Gear at 8.4 oz WITH Dubro Axles. Here's the link to the SuperGear Website. This just might be the answer to Tom's FG gear shortage...and airfoiled even.[8D]

http://www.rcsupergear.com/html/wild...tra_300lx.html

Edit: Added pictures...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47484.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	229490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17270.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	229491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58950.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	229492  
Old 02-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Bass1

I ordered the same gear and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival! Hope it's as good as it looks.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:59 AM
scottfl78

You back from the badland Flyintiger?? My brother got back thursday so I know he doesn't need anymore fuel.. haha I got one for you:

You might be addicted to RC, if you are in Iraq and you are ordering parts for your Wild Hare 300... haha
Old 02-15-2005, 09:34 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, please, let us all know if they are good.

I sell, or try to sell, the FG gear but as you all know I get about 1 gear for each 3 orders. So if this one works out that would be great.

TF
Old 02-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Tired Old Man

I don't have the complete site address, but Rcblimpro is another C/F manufacturer. If I thought I could make enough to live on, I'd start making glass and c/f gear myself.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Tired Old Man

I was asked about some mounting hole dimensions in a PM, but I thought I would place the answer here so everyone that that may need the info can get it.

The stock Wild Hare gear for the Edge and extra is 2" wide at the base where it mounts on the fuselage. The gear come with 4 mounting holes pre-drilled. The front to back hole centers are 1-1/4" apart. In the past sometimes the landing gear holes were predrilled in the bottom of the fuse, but sometimes not. As a rule at least the front two holes in the fuse were already drilled, but covered up with the Ultracote. It's been awile so Tom would be able to tell us if the factory ever got their ---- together on the holes.

In any case, if you use the front set of mounting holes on the bottom of the fuselage and drill a new pair of holes to fit narrower gear you would not hurt anything.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:11 PM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Well, hopefully I will be able to get a set of the coveted Fiberglass gear that are so robust, and not have to worry about the hole distance, but if the holes are predrilled in the fuselage the SuperGear (only 1-1/4" wide at mounting base) would not work without some weight-adding modifications to the gear plate.

This is frustrating stuff...I think I'll just use my aluminum gear and wait whatever time is required to get the Fiberglass gear. Thanks, Tom for trying to get them for us... [8D]

So...where am I at in line?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Tired Old Man

You would only have to drill two more holes just ahead of the rear mounting holes. If anything you might shave 1 hundredth of a gram or so. The fuselage base plate is plenty strong enough to not have to modify anything, and drilling into the aluminum side angles won't hurt anything at all. Go ahead and get the super gear and let the rest of us know how they are. You will likely come out just fine.

BTW, how's Whirlygirl?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:06 PM
WhirlyGirl
My Feedback: (34)

...I'll answer for myself...

EXTREMELY HAPPY...FlyinTiger bought me 3 JR DS8311 servos and a GY502 gyro/9254 tail rotor servo for my Raptor...all for Valentine's Day.

WAY BETTER THAN CHOCOLATES AND ROSES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 02:12 PM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

ORIGINAL: WhirlyGirl

...I'll answer for myself...

EXTREMELY HAPPY...FlyinTiger bought me 3 JR DS8311 servos and a GY502 gyro/9254 tail rotor servo for my Raptor...all for Valentine's Day.

WAY BETTER THAN CHOCOLATES AND ROSES!!!!!!!!!!!!

WhirlyGirl,

You think I could get you to talk to my wife get her to understand what is really important for Valentine's Day? I would much rather get airplane parts than romantic gifts!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 04:47 PM
scottfl78

LOL Whirly girl sure has her head on straight... I got a raptor as well so if they make it back to oklahoma ill have to show her how to fly a heli too.. haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.