Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

how is wing area measured

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:50 PM
airlyons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how is wing area measured

Hello folks...

Just wondering if there is a standard method that all ARF manufacturers/sellers use to determine wing area?

The reason I ask is I'm considering the airwild edge 540, Precision Aerobatics Edge 540 and the wild hare edge 540. Looks wise I love the looks of the purple Precision Aerobatics Edge but then the wing area appears to be only 1200 sq in with an 84 in wing span. (not much chord?) Just looking at the numbers, the Airwild appears to have the best numbers with 1370 sq in and under 15 pounds...

What is everyone's thoughts?

I'm looking for low low wing loading and good power to weight. (have a da 50)

Thanks in advance,

Chris

ps currently flying an SD yak 54 30% ... awesome plane but at 18 pounds just a wee bit heavy for 3500 feet above sea level.... must be amazing at sea level!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:06 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: how is wing area measured

Add (A) and (B) divide by 2 multiply times (C) then multiply times 2. This will give the wing area of both wings. then measure the fuselage area that is the the same length as (A) in between the 2 wing halves. This is your total wing area....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90381.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	843857  
Old 01-06-2008, 01:10 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Instead of buying a new airframe, why not buy a Brillelli 60 and put it on your Yak. Save the DA-50 for another airframe....
Old 01-07-2008, 11:41 AM
airlyons

Thanks for your comments RCairflr...I know it was a bit of a simple question but I was wondering about the area on the fuse. As for another engine, if I was going to go bigger I'd go to either an 85 cc or maybe a BME 115... surprised it weighs less then a DA 85... at only 1.2 pounds more then the DA50 I bet it would really haul my 30% yak 54! Any comments on that combination?? Any comments on adding a tuned pipe to my da50? I have a Bisson pitts style muffler and am getting 6300 rpm with a JFX 23-8.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll not comment on any of the other possibilities, but you may want to look over on the gas engine forum for a rather long thread about BME. It seems as though there are some significant difficulties going on with BME and they may not even be available from the manufacturer any more.

Hard to say what the answer is, but many folks with BME engines that were sent in for repair or modification are not having any luck getting information about the status of their engines. BME is not responding to e-mails, phone calls or faxes with very, very few exceptions and no hard information I've seen, indicates what the future of the manufacturer is going to be.

I don't think I'd consider the BME right now...
Old 01-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good call...