Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Comp Arf 2.1m/2.3m/2.6m questions...

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Comp Arf 2.1m/2.3m/2.6m questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp Arf 2.1m/2.3m/2.6m questions...

Ok guys,
I've got a few Comp Arf questions. I've been away from the sport of R/C for a couple years now, and I had previously purchased a 2.6m Yak w/ DA-100, but I had to sell it just before I had to get out of the sport, for financial reasons.
ANYHOW, I'm now considering getting another Comp Arf plane, and I cannot decide which setup I am going to be able to go with. Hopefully, if you guys can answer some questions, this will help me make a decision.

I will number my questions, for ease of reply. Thanks so much in advance guys. I'm sure I'll have more questions, once I finally do make my decision on which plane to buy.

Questions for 2.1m Yak and 2.12m Extra

1. Does ANYONE know WHEN CA will be offering additional color/paint schemes on the 2.1m YAK? I think those stars on the two schemes they are now offering, are about ugly as can be! (WHY on EARTH do they not at LEAST offer an UNPAINTED, WHITE version at this time, like they usually do????)

2. I have seen some of the new CA planes, are now being offered with MORE work done at the factory, and I'm wondering WHICH of the planes have the most work done to them???? (between the 2.1m Yak, 2.12m Extra, and even the 2.3 and 2.6m planes) Are the smaller 2.1/2.12m planes the only planes that already have the tuned pipe/cannister tunnels already built for you???

3. Is there a general consensus on which plane is most liked by everyone? (the 2.1m Yak, or the 2.12m Extra)????

4. Is it true, that ONLY 5 servos (plus a 6th throttle servo) is enough on the 2.1/2.12m Yak/Extra?? Is everyone flying this recommended radio setup, or is anyone finding that extra aileron/rudder servos are needed????

Ok, now I have a couple 2.3m Extra Questions:

1. Is the DA85 the best engine for this plane, OR is the DA50 w/ tuned pipe a better choice? I have just recently found out that the new DA85 is out, so that is good news. WHICH engine is best?

2. Also, does anyone know if CA is planning on coming out with a 2.3m Yak??? ( I cannot believe they have not done so already!)

LAST QUESTION: Can anyone point me to ANY forum on the net, which has a good build thread for the 2.1m Yak and/or the 2.12m Extra planes???

Thanks for any help here guys. The new 2.1m Yak, and 2.12m Extra, AND the DA50 are all new items, which were not around 3 years ago, when I got out of the sport. SO, therefore the questions which I need help with.
Thanks so much for any help guys.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:30 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 746 Likes on 539 Posts
Default RE: Comp Arf 2.1m/2.3m/2.6m questions...

Paul

I can answer some questions.

The YAK 2.1 is just released, white will be available very soon-now if you want it!
Composite ARF will also paint the aeroplane in a colour scheme you design-ask one of your US reps.

At the end of the day the amount of work is hardly different between all the aeroplanes.

The Yak 2.1 is only just out and even my early kit has not flown yet, it too early to say.

5 JR 8711 type servos are fine-no more needed.

Dave Wilshere
Old 01-07-2008, 12:17 PM
kevod
My Feedback: (7)

Paul,

I have the Blue/Red scheme Extra 2.3m with a ZDZ 80 on it.

In my opinion I would not go any other way.
I did a lot of research when decided to buy this plane (as I already had the 80 on hand) and found that people were coming out fairly heavy with a 50 on a pipe combo.

I put this combo together and it came out to about 20.5 pounds dry and it has been a fantastic flying machine as is.
I would think that this plane with the DA 85cc would be a fantastic combo.

A lot of people are putting these motors on 33% planes and they work fine.

The only problem (as minor as it is) is that the 2.3m is setup directly for the 50cc on a pipe and thus the right thrust angle has to be increased for the 80cc.
The right side of the spinner is really close to the cowling, but is not really a problem in the big picture.

-- Kevod
Old 01-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Paul Cataldo

Thanks for the help guys.
I'm now considering either the 2.3m Extra w/ DA85, OR the 2.6m Yak w/ DA100 (what I really want).
I deeply regret selling my 2.6m Yak a few years ago, but I had to for financial reasons.
I really wish they made a 2.3m Yak, as that might be cool for a while, and then I'd sell it, and move up to the 2.6m.
I cannot believe they haven't made a 2.3m Yak yet.
Thank God DA finally woke up out of their DA200 coma, and started producing the DA85. Maybe they'll get that DA35ish engine out eventually too.

Anyhow, I would like to ask you Comp Arf guys, if anyone here knows how many different upgraded control linkage setups that are being flown now???
Back when I was starting my 2.6m Yak, I had purchased a "control linkage upgrade kit" from the Comp Arf rep in Australia (forgot his name), and it was a MUCH better design for anyone who feels the stock design is crap (like I do). Yes, yes, we all know the stock design CAN work, but NO ONE in their right mind wants to trust their 2.6m plane to that stock setup.
The Australian guy was selling light-green colored control horns, that were considerable thicker than the stock red horns, AND his system used H9 ProLinks w/ ball joints like the old Rocket City hardware. I think it also called for SWB servo arms too.
I hear that there is another setup (or two perhaps?) that uses some plain aluminum (non-anodized, usually raw "silver" aluminum colored) arms on the servos, and some other type of upgraded control horn in the control surfaces.
Anyone else know what systems have been used out there???? I know it's been discussed a great number of times on the various forums, but I just cannot locate which threads discuss this, and show pics of any type of different control linkage setups that guys are using.
Thanks for any help guys. I appreciate it.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dual carbon fibre horns cut out of 2mm carbon sheet, with 1mm carbon sheet covers, left and right ball links from Troy Built Models and Hanger 9 titanium turnbuckle push rods, all done for peace of mind I can fly without even considering a horn failier.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58057.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	845662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45328.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	845663  
Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 AM
drewbags

Mike

Nice work, did you use a template or the originals as a guide, also where is a good place for carbon sheet here in Blighty?

Chris.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:38 AM
BaldEagel

Chris

I used the originals to set out the template, which I made in plywood and carved around until they fitted the slot in the surface and lined up with the hinge line, I then made one carbon horn and bolted that to three blanks and then cut and ground them to shape, you can get the carbon sheet from Carbon Copy, its expensive for a small sheet but I have now done this five times and am still using the same sheet, mind you its an odd shape sheet now.

The 1mm cover plate is used to mark out the extra slot needed and then taped into position cut around and the epoxy and microballoons mix to be put in place, the tape allows the epoxy to ooze out of the hole and then be wiped off. In case you don't know lighter fluid will wipe unset epoxy off any hard surface.

Mike

Name:	Ca80740.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	845700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95896.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	845701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82310.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	845702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76512.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	845703  
Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Paul Cataldo

Guys,
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger here on a 2.6m Yak, but BEFORE I do, I would like to ask about the 2.3m Extra.
WHERE is the 2.3m EXTRA??? I thought I saw they are not available, when I was surfing the Comp Arf website.
WHY is this? I was really considering a 2.3m Exra, with a DA85, but they do not seem to be available at this time.
I could not believe it.
Is this true, or am I mistaken???
Regardless, WHAT is the cost of the 2.3m Extra??? Yes, I know they vary, depending upon color paint scheme, but the website does not show any prices of ANY of the paint schemes..
What is the price of the 2.m Extras???
Old 01-09-2008, 04:00 AM
drewbags

Mike

Excellent info thanks for that.

Chris
Old 01-09-2008, 07:57 AM
BaldEagel

Paul

From what I have heard, the 2.3 was stopped due to wear on the moulds as it has been in production for a while.

Chris

I forgott to mention that the width of the slot required in the wing and the cover plate is dictated by the width of your balls, if you will pardon the expresion, bolt two horns on either side of your selected balls and the width is now established, its inportant to use the same ball links throughout or you will get problems with different width balls and therefore different size slots required in the wing and cover plate's.

Different manufactures have different sized balls, some have flanges on them, and some are not round and have flats ground on them at the bolt hole positon.

Mike

EDIT: to add pic

Name:	Zx71038.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	846455  
Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 746 Likes on 539 Posts

2.3 production stopped! News to me... There are kits in stock in the warehouse and more in transit...

Dave Wilshere
Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

ORIGINAL: Paul Cataldo

Guys,
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger here on a 2.6m Yak, but BEFORE I do, I would like to ask about the 2.3m Extra.
WHERE is the 2.3m EXTRA??? I thought I saw they are not available, when I was surfing the Comp Arf website.
WHY is this? I was really considering a 2.3m Exra, with a DA85, but they do not seem to be available at this time.
I could not believe it.
Is this true, or am I mistaken???
Regardless, WHAT is the cost of the 2.3m Extra??? Yes, I know they vary, depending upon color paint scheme, but the website does not show any prices of ANY of the paint schemes..
What is the price of the 2.m Extras???
Hmm....

Well there are some slightly different web addresses where one might find Comp-Arf's, but here's the main one for English language and North America. The 2.3 is the first one on the page, top left corner. Some prices are not listed in US Dollars anymore and I attribute that to the exchange rate problems with the Dollar vs. the Euro right now.

http://www.composite-arf.com.hk/ar/L...posite-arf.com

If you're really interested in a Compy, you need to pick a rep and he'll get you all the information you need as well as a shipped price. I recently got one of the 2.6 Extra 260's and my rep was great to work with.