Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Need Help with Giant Scale Accessories Guys.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Need Help with Giant Scale Accessories Guys.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Giant Scale Accessories Guys.

Gentlemen,
I would like to ask for some recommendations on top quality accessories for a new 2.6m Comp Arf Yak build that I have coming up.
I have been out of the sport for a while, and could use the advice.
Thanks for any help.
I'm looking for suggestions on the highest quality component in each category. Some of which, I will list, to ask if you feel it's the best or not.

1. Fuel tubing. Is there anything better than the BLUE Aerotrend EasyFlex? One issue. I THOUGHT I remember that this stuff was just TOO small to work on the DA100 engine fittings. What WILL work? What is the best? Is the regular old yellow tygon the only stuff out there? I figured someone had to have come out with something that STAYS flexible these days, no?

2. BVM Aeropoxy. Is Loctite Hysol 9462? (I think) the EXACT same stuff?

3. Fuel Tank. I was thinking of B&B Fuel tank, but is there something better? Do I want the "rectangular" or the "square" one? I don't know which one?

4. Fuel filters. I never did figure out who made a good fuel filter in this hobby. Now I did always like Dons Hobby Shop (DHS) ceramic clunk filters, but what else is there? How about in line filters????

5. Servo mounts. I once saw some plastic servo mounts, that were REAL strong and SOLID, and were used IN PLACE OF those stupid wooden servo mounts (ailerons) that you had to build and epoxy before you could mount a servo. Anyone remember who makes these? They were the BOMB for Comp Arf owners....

6. Wheel axles: Can I use those titanium wheel axles that I have seen? Will they work with my 2.6m Yak? I don't know if DHS had them, or what, but if anyone knows if they will work, let me know.

7. Wheels: I think I had planned on Dubro treaded lite wheels. Is there a better wheel out these days?

8. Tailwheel. Is the R/C Blimp still the best tailwheel made, or is there a better one out now? R/C Blimp was the bomb, back a few years ago. What else is new?

I'll probably have more later, but this will get me started. I swear, I take a couple years off, and there are so many new products out, that I can't keep up without the help of you guys. Thanks so much guys...
Old 01-09-2008, 05:41 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need Help with Giant Scale Accessories Guys.

I'll help with 1-3-4-6-7-8 real quick.

1) Viton beats them all if you can find it.

3) The B&B tank is very nice but does not fit the stock tank tray well. Use the manufacturer recommended 32oz Dubro.

4) Walbro makes about the best filter I've seen. Part number 125-527 at any saw and mower shop. One in the tank and another in the gas can and you will have the cleanest fuel in town.

6) The 2.6 Yak does not use regular axles. It uses a long 6mm allen head screw threaded into the end of a carbon tow tube for this purpose. You could obtain some titanium bolts instead if desired.

7) Lite wheels will flatten quite quickly under this plane. You want to use a good tire and wheel that won't come apart at any time. Better to use a standard 5" Dubro.

8) the RC Blimp tailwheel is still the best---if you can get one. He's been out of production for awhile now and if Comp still offers one as an option, grab it.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

What about Kavan Wheels? If you get the Chrome hub they are very strong and very light..

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/Tires.htm 5oz for 5" 4oz for 4" / pair.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding item #2

I mix my own "Hysol" type adhesive. It saves a lot of money and you only mix what you need when you need it. 3/32 milled fiber and System Three or other high end epoxies work extremely well, if not as well. I've never performed any scientific static shear or tension tests to know the difference for those that will ask. Add cabisil if needed as a filler. The 3/32 milled fiber is super strong after the mix and you can mix it to the density you need for the application. Just spread a little straight epoxy on both surfaces, enough to dampen, for the mix to adhere correctly.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:06 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

1. Fuel tubing - The large Tygon (3/32) works quite well. The next best thing is automotive fuel line...

2. BVM Aeropoxy???

3. Fuel Tank. I use Bennet in all my planes. They are far better than Dubro or Sullivan and their fuel fittings are great.

4. Fuel filters. Dons Hobby Shop (DHS) ceramic clunk filters are great and they also sell an in-line that is good.

5. Servo mounts. Ther is even metal if you look carefully. I saw some aluminum ones lately...

6. Wheel axles: I use the PSP Engineering axles. Light and incredibly strong. Pick the right length because they are hard to cut...

7. Wheels: I like the Sullivan Skylight aluminum axle ones - light and very strong. The Kavans are OK but not as sturdy.

8. Tailwheel. I think RC Blimp went bust. TBM has great tailwheel setups.