Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Giant Scale Plane Restraint

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Giant Scale Plane Restraint

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 04:51 AM
Giant Scale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale Plane Restraint

I got a chance to use the plane restraint that I purchased from Extreme Aerosports. This device allows you to start your big engines safely with out the need of a helper. The device is rugged and very easy to use. The picture below is a restraint for a 25% plane. The plane I am using is a 35% Giles with a ZDZ80 so the version that Jon made for me uses the same stake but has webbing that is rated at 600lb breaking strength. Simply screw the stake into the ground and loop around the tail. You can now start your engine without fear of the plane moving forward. This is very helpful for me since I cannot always find a helper to hold the plane. Now I can safely run the engine whenever I feel like it. For more information on this product check out Jon's website at
http://www.members.aol.com/extremeae...estraints.html

The cost of the device with shipping was $28.00, in my opinion this was money well spent.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19303_9799.gif
Views:	71
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	12223  
Old 07-29-2002, 05:55 PM
Tommy Meisel

This is just a screw in dog leash holder, you can get one at any pet store for a lot less than $28. Get some nylon rope and make your own tether. A good idea, but way overpriced.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:17 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have the same thing and I use a screwdriver and a piece of thick rope. I had the screw driver laying around and the rope I purchased from a flea market on I75 & Exit 221 in Georgia!
Old 07-30-2002, 01:41 AM
Giant Scale

Lets see ..if I have to take time off work, drive to the pet store for the stake, drive to home depot for the webbing,assemble the thing, sit in traffic, spend money on gas...hmmm how much money have I saved by doing it myself?
Old 07-30-2002, 01:50 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Is that flea market every weekend ?
Like you, I'm simply in need of a length of rope. If I recall, she
only wanted .15 per ft.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:55 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Hm. I have one of those screw-in stakes on my hi-start. 30+ lbs of pull and it hasn't come loose yet.

BTW, your local Walmart/K-Mart/Target all stock the stakes and rope. Yuo probably drive past one on the way home from the office...
Old 07-30-2002, 09:58 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

The flea market is open every weekend, year round. Also Wally world is the other way but only about 5 miles!
Old 07-30-2002, 12:43 PM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

Default Plane Restraint

Giant Scale--Thanks for the kudos on the Extreme Aerosport Plane Restraint.

Just a note to everyone about this product. My origional restraint (the one pictured in the first post) was made with an aluminum carabiner, nylon rope and aluminum crimps. They did well, but lacked that "professional" look. I redesigned the restraint with high quality, 600lbs fail strength poly-pro webbing and 75 lbs fail strength nylon snap buckles (like on luggage and back packs, or most commly seen on fanny packs or the child seat belts on the grocery carts at most stores.) I have each one professionally sewn at a tailor with HD thread.

Yes, I'll admit that the cost of the parts to make up the whole are inexpensive, but you do not have to do the assembly, I'm doing all the running around and they are a quality product.

I feel safety is a concern, and if you are trusting a screwdriver stuck into the ground with a piece of rope tied to it, I wish you luck and hope that screw driver does not come loose. Please use the proper tool for the job. Screwdrivers are for driving screws.

The tie outs that I use (yes, they are dog ties-outs) are designed for a purpose of holding something back. Several years ago, Sportys Pilot Shop sold tie outs very similar to mine (they were a few inches longer) for tieing down your FULL SCALE airplane. I used that idea and scaled it back for model airplane use. My design is intended for planes up through 25% but it has been successfully tested with a 35% scale Giles with a ZDZ 80, a Lanier Cap 232 with Brison 3.2, Sig Cap 232 with MDS 1.48 and several 40 sized planes.

Thanks for letting me explain my product.

Jon
Old 07-30-2002, 02:35 PM
STUKA BARRY

HEY JON, EVERYBODY THESE DAYS IS TRYING TO MAKE A BUCK. CANT BLAME YOU FOR THAT, BUT THE DOG AUGERS ARE $3.99 NYLON ROPE ABLE TO HOLD BACK A 15HP MODEL AIRPLANE IS $.20 A FOOT. TWO QUICK RELEASE HOOKS (FOR EASE OF INSTALLATION,NOT REALLY NECESSARY) $1.50 AND OVER NIGHT FED EX SHIPPING $12.00 LETS SAY $19.00 TOTAL. WOULD YOU PAY $28.00? WHY WOULD YOU EXPECT THE CUSTOMER TO? IF YOU CHARGED $20.00 YOUR STILL MAKING A PROFIT AND MIGHT EVEN SELL MORE. AT $20.00 SHIPPED I'LL BE YOUR FIRST CUSTOMER. I WOULD NEVER USE A SCREW DRIVER TO HOLD BACK MY WARBIRDS, BUT FOR 20 BUCKS I MIGHT USE YOUR DEVICE. DONT TAKE THIS PERSONALLY. JUST SOME FRIENDLY ENTREPRENEURIAL ADVICE.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:06 PM
Hangtime
My Feedback: (19)

... at what point in time did it become un-american to make a profit?

Frankly, if the guy was selling it for 2 bucks over actual material costs, he'd be losing money..

The guy not only has to pull the stuff together.. he has to market it, advertise it, cover his buisness overhead, insure the product and himself from ham handed dolts that won't read instructions... and take the time to answer 'i can do it cheaper' posts like the ones above.

I hope the guy does well... and wish frevernetly that all the bored-to-tears guys with nothin better to do with their lives other than find fault with what the next guy is doing find annother hobby.. like knitting or train spotting.

<S!>
Old 08-02-2002, 10:17 AM
Giant Scale

Well said Hangtime..if these guys only knew what it was like to run their own business.
Old 08-02-2002, 03:57 PM
BENGEN
My Feedback: (3)

My $.02

At $28.00, he probably isn't charging enough. How many times have you paid $4-5.00 for a couple Dubro bolts at the LHS? Can't find much there with less then a 50-100% markup. Besides if he was going to sell millions of them then 5-10% markup for volume would be good money but he isn't. Look at the price of 30% and larger kits (won't start naming names), you can buy some arf's of this size now for about the same money. They don't have $600.00 and up worth of balsa and lite ply in the box. Engines? Who wants to go there? This could go on forever. I build a lot of my own accessories not because of cost but for the same reasons as building a kit instead of an ARF. Not going to explain that, either you understand or you don't.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:43 PM
rayb
My Feedback: (13)

Default PLANE RESTRAINTS

POSTING FROM EXTREMEAEROSPORTS SAYS PRICE IS $15.00 SHIPPED SO IT SOUNDS LIKE A BARGAIN TO ME.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:37 AM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

Default Website is down

Extreme Aerosports Plane Restraint web site is down for maintenance, getting new pics up and changing things around.

For those who have visited the site and saw the price of the restraint at $15, that was for the old rope & crimp model. No longer available. The new one made form Poly-Pro webbing and HD snap clips is $28 shipped...but the price may be revised and offered lower.

Thanks to all who have discussed this issue, and please keep an eye out for the new page.

Sincerly,

Jon